Leak 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' here

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what your opinion is. I’m hoping my vinyl arrives on the release date here in the U.S. (7/15).

And I can't wait for everyone to tell me I'm an idiot for loving the album and the same for hating it. I've been abstaining from listening to the 4 tracks as well as any other Morrissey music because as you well know I recently got all the vinyl remasters and have listened to them all so I've had a bit of a Mozzer overload. The break has been good.

Re your vinyl I've heard a few people who have ordered it have been told the arrival will be delayed. By how much I don't know.

And I can't wait for everyone to tell me I'm an idiot for loving the album and the same for hating it. I've been abstaining from listening to the 4 tracks as well as any other Morrissey music because as you well know I recently got all the vinyl remasters and have listened to them all so I've had a bit of a Mozzer overload. The break has been good.

Re your vinyl I've heard a few people who have ordered it have been told the arrival will be delayed. By how much I don't know.

It seems to be the UK vinyl only that is delayed and the email I got states it will shipped as soon as they take delivery, which they expect to tbe during the week of the 14th.

I am hoping it’s not delayed, but if so, at least I have the mp3s and the iTunes version will download onto my phone on midnight the 15th, at which point I will delete the leaked version and start my play count from scratch.

I go through periods where I’ll exclusively listen to one artist for a prolonged period. Sometimes it lasts a few days, other times it can last months. Last summer into fall into winter I seriously listened to almost exclusively Descendents/ALL until I slowly weaned myself off. Though I put on some songs yesterday and felt that urge again, must be the almost 2 dozen Dents/ALL t shirts I own :)

Seems I'm in a minority in disliking Oboe Concerto the most out of all the tracks! I always end up skipping it. And it's hard to keep off the skip button for Smiler too, it sort of drags.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Man doesn't do it for me either.

Istanbul is the best thing he's done since 2004, or at least high up with the standouts from ROTT and YoR.

Mountjoy is to me, reminiscent of the best of the Maladjusted days, but comes across really well. Bit of a slow burner but the payoff is worth it. We all lose...

Bullfighter could do with another verse, but it's snappy and catchy and does it's job in under two minutes I suppose!

Staircase is a bit cliche'd in my view too.

Last edited:
I think it's very normal to need multiple listens in different environments in order to feel connected to something. I'm not sure I've ever labeled anything Morrissey has done as "crap," because I respect him too much as an artist to put a line through something he felt strongly enough about to make it available to an audience. It's more about having an emotional connection, and sometimes that doesn't happen for me immediately. The older I get, the harder it is to feel passionately about anything. I don't think it's disrespectful to take time to really get to know a new album (or book, or painting, or person) before you start to understand its place in your life.

I think what it is, is because this album is a bit different to anything he has ever done,along with the fact that people are used to their socks being knocked off straight away,on just about every release. With this album being a bit different people have needed a few listens in order to really adjust to the sound of it maybe?

I was already falling in love a few days ago despite initial misgivings and even still I had some lingering doubts about this track or that one but now after a couple more days of continuous playing I can't find a single flaw from start to end, including the bonus tracks. This just gets better every time I listen to it. It's Tony the Tiger great.

...ESPECIALLY on headphones. God; it's like being in another world for 80 minutes.

I was already falling in love a few days ago despite initial misgivings and even still I had some lingering doubts about this track or that one but now after a couple more days of continuous playing I can't find a single flaw from start to end, including the bonus tracks. This just gets better every time I listen to it. It's Tony the Tiger great.

...ESPECIALLY on headphones. God; it's like being in another world for 80 minutes.

So much this. I listened another 3x today and am kinda wondering why I don’t put it on right now. But I can’t stay up for another 80 minutes so I’ll have to listen again tomorrow at work a couple times.

Pretty much this. I go through the day and I start humming Istanbul and then I switch to Oboe and then I switch to staircase and then I switch................you get the idea. there are so many great songs on this album. I'm currently humming 'I am not a man.' For me his best work since Vauxhall and I suspect that the critical glow for this album will grow even more over time. Outrageously good and I personally didn't think he had it left him in. Not an album of this type/level of consistency.

YES! Yes to all of this. It's going to be a long while before I want to listen to anything else. I keep going back and forth between listening in the intended sequence and putting it on shuffle, and each time it's a different experience. With headphones, without, in the car, in the house, on the subway…and now I really can't wait for the vinyl to arrive. I'll be checking the delivery tray in my office every 15 minutes.

He did it, he did it, he did it. My love for Morrissey has never needed reaffirming, but I honestly never thought I'd feel this way about an album again.

So much this. I listened another 3x today and am kinda wondering why I don’t put it on right now. But I can’t stay up for another 80 minutes so I’ll have to listen again tomorrow at work a couple times.

Wow an 80 minute record! Really? That's like a coupla Kill Uncles and a Moonriver thrown in... come on Friday morning!

It seems like the consensus around here is split, around half of you seem to be in the camp that this album is amazing and the best thing he seems to have done since his return from the first no record label/deal, break. While the other half seem to think it is just o.k. but not that great and perhaps more of a grower of an album. I have theory on this and why some of us maybe feel a little let down.

It has to do with the four previously released singles. I think had we heard those four songs for the very first time along with the rest of the album, or had things been more traditional and we only heard the first single,the title track before all of the others; perhaps initial reactions to the album as a whole would be much,much more positive than they have been. Agree or disagree,(although most here seem to agree), the four songs chosen as singles are definitely among the strongest if not the very strongest tracks of the lot. So, having been able to soak those four songs in before being able to hear the entire album raises people's expectations. Never have we fans been able to hear the first four singles from an album back to back like that in Moz's entire career be it solo or with The Smiths. Imagine if a couple of weeks prior to the release of Vauxhall and I you were able to experience, Now my heart is full,Hold onto your friends,The more you ignore me,and Why don't you find out for yourself, before being able to listen to the entire album? Your reaction to that album would probably have been much more different?? I think that has been the case with this album. Combine that with an album that is treading some different or new waters (compared to the last few albums), as far as overall musical landscapes and textures go and it almost makes sense that some are having lackluster responses to the album.

The good news as far as overall success of the album goes, I think the average casual fan,along with most of the media will get the chance to listen to everything (four singles included), as a whole. Something tells me the casual average fan has not been combing youtube over the last few weeks in order to listen to any of the new material be it the early live versions that leaked or the studio versions that soon followed. And, they certainly didn't pre-order the album so when they do hear the album for the first time the four singles most of us heard in advance will hit them along with the rest of the album all at once. Therefore, initial reactions of that first listen will have a much greater effect as far as a first impression of the album goes.

I myself had been leaning towards the "its good but not great", side,however as I listen more yes it is growing a bit more and I do find I am liking it slightly more with each listen. That's another thing as well. Just about everything solo or Smith's that has ever been released has been so strong it usually hits you right in the chest,straight away. The need for an album to, "grow", never really existed in the same sentence with Moz. I'm not sure why but to me (and this has nothing to do with the actual quality of songs), but the songs seem to come across as being less emotional on this album. Its hard to explain but I'll try my best. I'm not a U2 fan at all really but the vocal style of Bono and the way he sings his melodies have over the years been called emotional in demeanor as far as having strong powerful peaks of energy,(think how he pushes his coals out in the chorus of the U2 song Wild horses). Although different I think Moz has a similar emotional vibe to the energy of his vocal melody style as well when it comes to songs being very powerful emotionally. You can hear it in the Art hounds vocals a little; how he is just pushing his vocals with more intensity, like they are coming from deep within the bowels of his gut. It seems like a lot of the songs on the new album are being sung with more restraint. Not that by doing that lessens a song's quality, it just gives a song a different vibe and feel.

I would have swapped Scandinavia and Art hounds for two lesser tracks on the regular album.

What is also missing on this album is at least having that one super powerful almost make you well up ballad song. We sometimes will get a couple or at the very least one per album. There isn't any real emotional syrupy ballads like, Come back to camden or Dear God please help me type of ballads on this album. The closest I think might be I'm not a man? Maybe?

Last edited:
It seems like the consensus around here is split, around half of you seem to be in the camp that this album is amazing and the best thing he seems to have done since his return from the first no record label/deal, break. While the other half seem to think it is just o.k. but not that great and perhaps more of a grower of an album. I have theory on this and why some of us maybe feel a little let down.

It has to do with the four previously released singles. I think had we heard those four songs for the very first time along with the rest of the album, or had things been more traditional and we only heard the first single,the title track before all of the others; perhaps initial reactions to the album as a whole would be much,much more positive than they have been. Agree or disagree,(although most here seem to agree), the four songs chosen as singles are definitely among the strongest if not the very strongest tracks of the lot. So, having been able to soak those four songs in before being able to hear the entire album raises people's expectations. Never have we fans been able to hear the first four singles from an album back to back like that in Moz's entire career be it solo or with The Smiths. Imagine if a couple of weeks prior to the release of Vauxhall and I you were able to experience, Now my heart is full,Hold onto your friends,The more you ignore me,and Why don't you find out for yourself, before being able to listen to the entire album? Your reaction to that album would probably have been much more different?? I think that has been the case with this album. Combine that with an album that is treading some different or new waters (compared to the last few albums), as far as overall musical landscapes and textures go and it almost makes sense that some are having lackluster responses to the album.

The good news as far as overall success of the album goes, I think the average casual fan,along with most of the media will get the chance to listen to everything (four singles included), as a whole. Something tells me the casual average fan has not been combing youtube over the last few weeks in order to listen to any of the new material be it the early live versions that leaked or the studio versions that soon followed. And, they certainly didn't pre-order the album so when they do hear the album for the first time the four singles most of us heard in advance will hit them along with the rest of the album all at once. Therefore, initial reactions of that first listen will have a much greater effect as far as a first impression of the album goes.

I myself had been leaning towards the "its good but not great", side,however as I listen more yes it is growing a bit more and I do find I am liking it slightly more with each listen. That's another thing as well. Just about everything solo or Smith's that has ever been released has been so strong it usually hits you right in the chest,straight away. The need for an album to, "grow", never really existed in the same sentence with Moz. I'm not sure why but to me (and this has nothing to do with the actual quality of songs), but the songs seem to come across as being less emotional on this album. Its hard to explain but I'll try my best. I'm not a U2 fan at all really but the vocal style of Bono and the way he sings his melodies have over the years been called emotional in demeanor as far as having strong powerful peaks of energy,(think how he pushes his coals out in the chorus of the U2 song Wild horses). Although different I think Moz has a similar emotional vibe to the energy of his vocal melody style as well when it comes to songs being very powerful emotionally. You can hear it in the Art hounds vocals a little; how he is just pushing his vocals with more intensity, like they are coming from deep within the bowels of his gut. It seems like a lot of the songs on the new album are being sung with more restraint. Not that by doing that lessens a song's quality, it just gives a song a different vibe and feel.

I would have swapped Scandinavia and Art hounds for two lesser tracks on the regular album.

What is also missing on this album is at least having that one super powerful almost make you well up ballad song. We sometimes will get a couple or at the very least one per album. There isn't any real emotional syrupy ballads like, Come back to camden or Dear God please help me type of ballads on this album. The closest I think might be I'm not a man? Maybe?

Interesting post. I've thought along some of these lines as well. I definitely support releasing the title track in advance (despite the fact that it is nowhere near the strongest song), but in retrospect would have preferred to hear "Istanbul" and "Bullfighter" afresh, with the rest of it. Given the realities of modern day listening, especially ahead of having my physical copy in hand, I have focused my attention on the songs that are new to us. Meaning, not really listening too much to the four previously released numbers.

I also wish several of the bonus tracks were proper album tracks ("Art Hounds", "Drag the River", and "One of Our Own" notably), and others relegating to bonus material (for me, it would be "Earth is the Loneliest Planet" and "Neal Cassady Drops Dead" for starters). Or, better yet, just add in two more songs ("Action" for one) and call it a double album. Why not?

All that said, I'm liking it more and more each time I hear some of it, and it's certainly bold musically. I still think that a few of the lyrics border on cringe-worthy, but honestly that's almost always been the case. Even in the 'glory days' there was the occasional stinker of a line.

Last edited:

No. Just no.

Staircase is a bit cliche'd in my view too.

This song is so damn catchy and has so much musical punch that it's easy to look past it's lyrical flaws. Love the opening and closing verses and the choruses, but the two middle verses (about the father and the boyfriend) are a little bit repetitive. It could be improved, in my opinion, by simply having the boyfriend have a different gripe besides the lack of getting straights As (which, as has been pointed out before by someone, seems a bit of stretch reason for hurling yourself down the stairs in the first place, but okay, I get that some fathers are pretty demanding.) Maybe the boyfriend has some relationship issues that, when compounded with the over-achieving father's demands, were enough to send our subject over the edge.

But what the hell do I know. I've never written a song in my life. "Staircase" is still really fun.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that people find some immediacy in Morrissey/ The Smiths records. I've always found them more rewarding after repeated listenings.

Also I didn't really listen to the 4 tracks beforehand (apart from Istanbul) so my enjoyment has not been peppered by preliminary listens. (Well apart from now)

It's layered, nuanced and different. What's not to like?

I just feel deeply sorry for anyone who ever counted themselves a Morrissey fan who can't love this album. Morrissey regained his fire...what happened to you?

Typical Morrissey-Solo answer. Moz put out a new record! It's the greatest thing ever!! I'll pre-order the regular version of it, the limited edition version of it, the vinyl version of it, the Japanese import version of it, the Brazilian import version of it with a live bonus track of "Sister I'm a Poet", the 8-track tape version of it with limited edition art work...!!!:crazy:

Although the arrangements aren't nearly as bad, dare I say this could be the 2000's comeback year's "Kill Uncle"? I'm a huge fan. Although I wasn't old enough to by Smiths albums as they were released, I pretty much have with all of the solo stuff. Usually for me anyways I'm always deeply moved by a few songs every release. Maybe I still need more time, but I have probably listened almost a dozen times now, and still, I find for the first time ever on a Moz release there isn't even one song were I'm like, Wow that track is so f***ing unbelievable! Its a good album but it isn't as great as some are claiming. It certainly isn't on par with the majority of his prior releases. Hell, I think most of the B-sides from Quarry that ended up on the deluxe,deluxe version of that album are a notch or two above anything on this album.

Back
Top Bottom