Mountjoy

What the f*** has this got to with Doug Mountjoy? I was anticipating Morrissey's version of Snooker Loopy nuts are we in the vein of Roy's Keen.

Is this the first time Brendan Behan has been mentioned in a song since Dexys Midnight Runners, burn it down?

No, Brendan Behan is mentioned in Damien Dempsey's, Jar Song.

Awesome.

And if 'Anonymous' would care to slip us any more lyrics, may I request 'Smiler With Knife'? :flowers:

What the f*** has this got to with Doug Mountjoy? I was anticipating Morrissey's version of Snooker Loopy nuts are we in the vein of Roy's Keen.

Is this the first time Brendan Behan has been mentioned in a song since Dexys Midnight Runners, burn it down?

Reading the full lyrics, Mountjoy must be a reference to Mountjoy Prison where Behan was incarcerated for his "republican activities". To me it also works as an excellent metaphor in the context of the whole song: we are prisoners here on this Lonely Planet, because, regardless of our financial, social and emotional status and the nature of our pursuits, we are all relegated to our separate little cells, are doomed to fail and ultimately leave unfulfilled and empty-handed. During our earthly incarnation(s) - or, incarceration(s), as Moz sees it - our only solace and means of escape is "that little tent of blue which prisoners call the sky", as Oscar Wilde once put it in another ballad about another prison. Although Morrissey's is a bleaker view than mine, this is yet another beautiful song with some startling lines.

My apologies if you were only jokingly mentioning Doug Mountjoy - I don't mean to be a smartass. I had to use google to find out who he is, as I'm not very much into sports.

i hope that, in the future, morrissey will be given a chance to interpret reasons for writing 'mountjoy', but nonetheless, lyrics speak language of eternal poetry.

p.s. why apologize?

Back
Top Bottom