Irish Blood, English Heart is now available at Ambitious-Outsiders.com ---WOW!

• Thread starter Old 50's Rocker named Fabian
  • Start date
wonderful song.

i can't stop hearing it.

fabricio, the brazilian guy who loves nu-metal and rap

> wonderful song.

> i can't stop hearing it.

> fabricio, the brazilian guy who loves nu-metal and rap

are you pulling our legs? i don't see this song anywhere!

> are you pulling our legs? i don't see this song anywhere!

oops nevermind.

all i had to do was say that and it would pop up...

dear god, i love all the new songs. i hope he hurries up and gets a damn record deal!

This is certainly, the best song of the five. I enjoy all, but this song is Morrissey of the past. Beautiful. I cried.

Yikes! That's a great song. It seems much more polished than the other new ones. Does anyone know which of the Lads wrote the music?

> oops nevermind.

> all i had to do was say that and it would pop up...

you have got it, i hope!

Thanx, Chris... Peruvian Blood, Moz Angeleno Heart...

It's a bit out of date now..

"I’ve been dreaming of a time
When to be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag, not feeling shameful
Racist or racial?"

Yeah, well you see Morrissey, if you'd actually bother to look at British culture instead of sitting in your big sunny house saying how vile all we English are, although this quote is still relatively valid, it's not half as valid as it used to be. With the coincidence of the World Cup and the Jubilee *spit* around the same time in June, flags were everywhere. And I mean everywhere - every house, every school, every gingerbread biscuit.

So instead of thinking 'British National Party' everytime you saw the English flag, you thought 'People who like footy' - and everytime you saw the Union Jack you thought 'People who like the monarchy' (which is fair enough, I suppose). And everyone realised how lovely it was to 'be standing by the flag, not feeling shameful' (to quote him directly). And the Daily Mail absolutely loathed what they called this 'fake patriotism' (as they support the kind of patriotism the BNP does), which was fabulous. Obviously, it's died down a bit now - but when I see the English flag I don't necessarily think 'fascist', which is a massive step. This is like trying to take away the connotations that the swastika holds. The only way we can take away the racist connotations is to be as anti-racist as possible and then wave the flag - a point I don't think Morrissey has made clear enough. Stop moaning about it dear - just go out and do it!

LMC x

Re: It's a bit out of date now..

A good point well made, but look at the second verse and he's making a bigger statement than that. And as Moz took so much flack over waving the flag he should be allowed to have his say. But it's a brilliant song though -- like a mini-sequel to The Queen Is Dead.

I'm absolutely positive you have a point, and that it's in there somewhere.

No surprise the subject matter is out of date as he wrote it at least 4 or 5 years ago, it was one of the first new songs they wrote after Maladjusted, or possibly during, as I've heard it mentioned that it may have been from those sessions, although I've no idea if that's true.

Very true. It's a shame he didn't release it a year ago as it would've have so much more punch. Now it seems a bit old hat.

LMC x

> No surprise the subject matter is out of date as he wrote it at least 4 or
> 5 years ago, it was one of the first new songs they wrote after
> Maladjusted, or possibly during, as I've heard it mentioned that it may
> have been from those sessions, although I've no idea if that's true.

> Very true. It's a shame he didn't release it a year ago as it would've
> have so much more punch. Now it seems a bit old hat.

> LMC x

Well, not release it as such.. made it known. Released it into the wild. I need some coffee.

LMC

> "I’ve been dreaming of a time
> When to be English is not to be baneful
> To be standing by the flag, not feeling shameful
> Racist or racial?" Yeah, well you see Morrissey, if you'd actually
> bother to look at British culture instead of sitting in your big sunny
> house saying how vile all we English are, although this quote is still
> relatively valid, it's not half as valid as it used to be. With the
> coincidence of the World Cup and the Jubilee *spit* around the same time
> in June, flags were everywhere . And I mean everywhere - every house,
> every school, every gingerbread biscuit.

Good point. I was going to say 'well argued'.. but its not really up for debate. I think it shows that Morrissey living abroad has lost touch with his home base. I have a stand point that living in LA is definitely a bad thing for the creative flow. But if it was written five years ago.. then its a little more understandable.

I believe the Union Jack and the cross of St.George are now back with the British and English people respectively. Billy Bragg has argued this for years and its certainly happened.

However, Morrissey is an enigma with so much ambuguity about him.. If he draped himself in a union flag tonight would we still see innocent patriotism..?

LMC and TMF.. are you not down this evening for the major event??

Gizza job,
Ruffian

I think if Morrissey draped himself in the flag today, he would still be called a racist. So, as the song's sentiments apply to him, it's perfectly valid.

No, we were on holiday when all the hype was starting, and we decided not to go. I bloody regret that now, I can tell you!

I'm not sure if the song is five years old. If so, why didn't perform it on his last tour? Seems a bit strange to have a song lurking around for so long.

LMC

> Good point. I was going to say 'well argued'.. but its not really up for
> debate. I think it shows that Morrissey living abroad has lost touch with
> his home base. I have a stand point that living in LA is definitely a bad
> thing for the creative flow. But if it was written five years ago.. then
> its a little more understandable.

> I believe the Union Jack and the cross of St.George are now back with the
> British and English people respectively. Billy Bragg has argued this for
> years and its certainly happened.

> However, Morrissey is an enigma with so much ambuguity about him.. If he
> draped himself in a union flag tonight would we still see innocent
> patriotism..?

> LMC and TMF.. are you not down this evening for the major event??

> Gizza job,
> Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom