Andy Rourke is out of a job

No way Moz would work with him again. You’ve read Autobiography, right?
I agree with you I don't think Morrissey will ever work with Andy Rourke again.

This thread is mainly about East Village Radio (EVR) in New York closing, and finding ways that Andy Rourke could make money.

Although I've always had some sort of sympathy for Andy Rourke (what would be the reason?), I feel obliged to agree with what Morrissey said in his Autobiography: why should have they gone equal when some people were constantly contributing an awful lot, while others just filled in the space?
Unfortunately enough and contrary to other ex-members of The Smiths, the harsh reality is that he wasn't ever able to stand his own ground or, let alone, make himself useful afterwards given the role he had in The Smiths (and he could have done so). Therefore, if he thought that not caring about things he probably should've cared about, and getting high and wasted was a better option for him instead of facing the facts, who's to blame? Not Morrissey, me thinks!
I agree with the ones who said that he wouldn't be playing for him anytime soon. What would be the reason for Morrissey to hire him? He's never been keen on charity as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, I see no other reason, really.

I heard Andy Rourke is no longer living in New York and has recently moved to London, England. Has Andy Rourke moved to London and back to the UK, so he can claim state benefits as he is out of work in New York? I find something strange about this story. Andy Rourke was said to hate London and was said to love Manchester and New York much better. I wonder if Andy Rourke has upset some folks in New York. I find this a very odd move, if true.

Andy Rourke and his songwriting partner Olé Koretsky are like the John Lennon and Paul McCartney of now lol.

I enjoyed Mark Ronson's show on East Village Radio.

that is a stretch but this song is ok

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Andy Rourke is no longer living in New York and has recently moved to London, England. Has Andy Rourke moved to London and back to the UK, so he can claim state benefits as he is out of work in New York? I find something strange about this story. Andy Rourke was said to hate London and was said to love Manchester and New York much better. I wonder if Andy Rourke has upset some folks in New York. I find this a very odd move, if true.
I've not heard about the London, England move sounds suspect. I knew the New Yorkers would lose their patience with Andy Rourke in the end. I remember a couple of years ago, I think it was in 2012- Andy Rourke and his entourage had a run in with Nick Swisher who is a famous American baseball outfielder, he used to play for the New York Yankees. Andy Rourke and his entourage really upset Nick Swisher. I could imagine Mr. Rourke would of probably upset a few New Yorkers along the way. I think his entourage is worse than he is. Maybe I shouldn't judge people by the company they keep, but my feeling is if you are a nice person you would want to be around other like minded nice people. I remember when Andy Rourke first moved to New York he had got himself a corporate job as director of A&R for a music marketing firm or something. That job seemed to only last 5 mins. If Andy Rourke's wife Francesca Mor is American then that might be reason enough for them to stay in the states. Who really knows.

Andy Rourke has NOT moved to London, England. Andy is still happily living in New York, so please don't worry people! Andy hasn't been deported back to the UK or anything like that LOL. However Andy did live in London, for a short time, years ago. I think Andy lived in London around the time he was in The Smiths in the 1980s. I think Andy's wife Francesca is American, but he didn't marry her in order to stay in the states. If Andy came back to live in the UK, he would probably chose to live in Manchester.

You know the expression "Bad company corrupts good character" I feel this is what could of happened to Andy Rourke. Birds of a feather flock together, like attracts like... Andy's entourage are mostly like him I guess. Andy has always been a bit of a bad lad, a rebel and he enjoys the party lifestyle, it is just the way he is. I am sure there are a few bad people in Andy's entourage (who are much worse than he is). This often happens to celebrities. Andy works in the music industry and you have to be very tough to survive in that industry! I am sure Andy finds it hard to trust people. People probably always want things from him and that includes of course the media/press.

About James Franco he made an REM video about Los Angeles and stardom with Lindsay Lohan in it. Jared Leto and the band '30 Seconds to Mars' also released a music video about Hollywood and stardom with Lindsay Lohan in it. So now I guess James Franco is copying Jared Leto, so who copied James Franco?

Did Andy Rourke work with the Riff Raff?

I've seen a bit of Andy Rourke's music 'chat show' "TUNE IN/TUNE OUT" online. I didn't think much of it. The musicians Andy Rourke interviews are interesting. But Andy Rourke isn't good at interviewing them, he seems stoned or drunk half the time.

Is Mike Joyce still a DJ on "Beat Wolf" radio? I know Mike Joyce has been a DJ/radio presenter on a number of different radio stations over the years. Mike Joyce may have even been on East Village Radio.
This is interesting. Do you mean the R.E.M. song "Blue"? Their music video for the song "Blue" features Lindsay Lohan and it is directed by James Franco see link:

You mean the Thirty Seconds to Mars song "City of Angels". The short film/music video for this song is interesting. It features Lindsay Lohan (along with other celebrities) and it is directed by Jared Leto, it is about the pitfalls of fame and stardom see link:

L.A./Hollywood is an interesting place. Hollywood is also known as 'Tinseltown' and 'La La Land'. Being rich and famous can be a bittersweet thing. Stars can often seem to be quite lonely and isolated from the real world and have all kinds of other problems and issues. Some people think Hollywood is quite a soulless place. Morrissey now lives part-time in L.A. and Johnny Marr has spent a bit of time living there in the past.

James Franco's band is called 'Daddy'.

This is a video of Andy Rourke's music chat show 'TUNE IN/TUNE OUT' here he interviews the famous American singer-songwriter Jackson Browne. It is hard to tell if Andy Rourke had been drinking alcohol, smoking or taking drugs before doing the interview? Andy Rourke's accent and voice sound strange though these days. Andy Rourke now speaks in a slow, low, monotone voice:

I'm sure Andy Rourke has got drunk, stoned and high many times in his life. Does Andy Rourke have a cigarette in his right hand during this interview? I think Jackson Browne looks bemused during this interview.

The last in a very, very long line of temporary Public Image Ltd (PiL) drummers, Mike Joyce was recruited to play on the 1992 'That What is Not' tour. Although he never recorded with PiL, he appears on the 1992 BBC 'Evening Session' radio session included on the 'Plastic Box' compilation. This allowed Mike to meet and play with the Sex Pistols, John Lydon/Johnny Rotten and team up with the Souxsie And The Banshees guitarist, John McGeoch.

Best known as a founder member and main stay drummer of The Smiths. Mike Joyce had previously played drums with punk band's The Hoax and Victim.

He later drummed for Morrissey (with Andy Rourke), Sinéad O'Connor (with Andy Rourke), The Adult Net (with Brix Smith-Start & Andy Rourke), Suede, Buzzcocks (1990-92) and Julian Cope.

In 1996 Mike Joyce went to court against Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and helped win a one million pounds settlement for himself (and bassist Andy Rourke?). Andy Rourke accepted an £83,000 out-of-court settlement and was then declared bankrupt.

2005/2006 saw Mike Joyce tour and record with Vinny Peculiar (along with Andy Rourke). In 2008 he joined Manchester band Autokat.

For latest news: http://www.mikejoyce.com
An example of Mike Joyce's post-Smiths drums career. The 'SpecteR' band with Jason Specter, Andy Rourke & Mike Joyce at 'Don Hill's' in New York City 27th May, 2001 (six songs, not the entire show):

Some other Mike Joyce (post-Smiths) drums career info:

In 1995 Mike collaborated on a track with African-American Soul diva P.P. Arnold.

From 1996 through to 1998 Mike played and recorded with Liverpool's Pete Wylie from The Mighty Wah! aka Wah! Heat. Andy Rourke also worked with Pete Wylie.

A lady called Wendy James from the pop band 'Transvision Vamp' I think worked with Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke at some point and they may have made an album.

I'm not sure if Mike Joyce was involved with The Filthy 3 - "We're The Sweeney" project. Andy Rourke was involved with this.

In 1998 Mike was invited by Aziz Ibrahim of Stone Roses fame to play on his debut solo album "Lahore to Longsight" along with Andy Rourke. Mike and Andy also later toured with the 'Aziz Band' (around 2002).

I'm not sure if Mike Joyce was involved with the band 'Foreign Bodies' around 1999? Andy Rourke was involved with 'Foreign Bodies'.

I think Mike Joyce was involved with a band called JEEP around 2001. Andy Rourke was also involved with JEEP.

2001 saw Mike and Andy teaming up with Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs of Oasis fame in a band of his called 'Moondog One'. The band was later renamed The Dogs, then became The Seers.

2002 saw Mike Joyce play drums with the band GWILO, which was a spin-off of Badly Dawn Boy's live touring band. Andy Rourke was also involved with GWILO and Badly Drawn Boy.

A Sheffield based band called the Kings Have Long Arms (KHLA) debut album, "I Rock, Eye Pop" was released in 2006. It features Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke. They recorded a track called "Meat is Awful", which I think was in response to Morrissey's "Meat Is Murder" campaign.

The Adult Net's Brix Smith-Start is a blonde, American woman who met The Fall vocalist Mark E. Smith at a Chicago concert in 1982, and moved to England where they married in 1983. She joined The Fall on guitar and vocals for their album "Perverted by Language". Acknowledged for introducing a more mainstream, pop-oriented element to The Fall's sound, she remained in The Fall until her divorce from Mark E. Smith in 1989.

Mike Joyce also of course has his "worldwide" DJ and radio career. :D

I wonder which other musical projects Mike Joyce has been involved with over the years? A lot of his musical projects seem to also involve Andy Rourke.

Last edited:
Mike Joyce continues to play the drums in bands. Recently he’s been working with Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera, Suede bassist Mat Osman and Supergrass frontman Gaz Coombes as 'Chaz Chance And The Prophets', a band put together for a three-part TV series.

Mike Joyce played drums in an advert.

I don't know where all the stuff has come from about Mike Joyce has retired as a drummer?

Mike Joyce behind the scenes interview: Lexus CT 200h 'Drum Roll' TV advert:

Did Mike Joyce stand in for Cerys Matthews (who used to be in the band Catatonia) on her BBC 6 Music radio show?

Although I've always had some sort of sympathy for Andy Rourke (what would be the reason?), I feel obliged to agree with what Morrissey said in his Autobiography: why should have they gone equal when some people were constantly contributing an awful lot, while others just filled in the space?

Unfortunately enough and contrary to other ex-members of The Smiths, the harsh reality is that he wasn't ever able to stand his own ground or, let alone, make himself useful afterwards given the role he had in The Smiths (and he could have done so).

Therefore, if he thought that not caring about things he probably should've cared about, and getting high and wasted was a better option for him instead of facing the facts, who's to blame? Not Morrissey, me thinks!

I agree with the ones who said that he wouldn't be playing for him anytime soon. What would be the reason for Morrissey to hire him? He's never been keen on charity as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, I see no other reason, really.
Well said! I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom