The new Morrissey album; 'anthemic, musically diverse'- what do we know about the songs?

A

Anonymous

The best info we've had on the new album has come from J Tobias in a brief interview with Uncut magazine a few months back:
"There are two albums' worth of songs ready. I’ve heard almost everything and feel it’s some of the strongest material to date.
Musically diverse. Anthemic. Even in their infant stages the songs excite me.”
We also know we have a new songwriter on board, Gustavo Manzur. He's composed proper music before i.e. not just written a handful of guitar-based, mediocre indie songs.
I read somewhere that most of his Morrissey songs are keyboard based - maybe he also wrote the music to Oboe Concerto.
However, although we know he's written a few songs, we don't know whether they've made the album.
I think that's about it for now. Guess we'll probably know quite a bit more come Wednesday night - must be a good chance 4 or 5 of the new songs will make the set-list.

Well, here we are folks. It's that small-child-on-Christmas-Eve feeling again. When we wake up tomorrow morning we'll know...
Surely at least 4 new songs will be played and, from that, we'll know whether we're in for a brilliant Morrissey album for the first time in 20 years.
Or whether we're going to get yet another round of disappointing, mediocre, so-so indie pop featuring largely clumsy, poetry-free lyrics.
There are many reasons for pessimism. Morrissey's lost his best songwriter of the last 20 years, and we're left with the people that wrote the dullest bits of the recent (dull) albums. He seems to appear more humourless and foolish in every misjudged True to You outburst. Right until the last live show just a few months ago, he'd have us believe that the truly f***ing awful 'People are the Same' was the very best he had to offer.
But there are also grounds for optimism.
The duff 'new' songs he's performed live on recent tours have not made the album tracklist. Fank thuck for that.
He has a new songwriter on board (for the first time in 10 years excluding the minimal contribution of M Farrell) who can compose proper music - not just middling, three-chord indie pop.
He had two albums worth of songs from which to pick the very best stuff.
The song titles are arguably the most intriguing since the YATQ-era songs were announced (although the best ones of those were mainly b-sides)
The wider world is arguably more interested in him than ever before - maybe he's upped his game in response?
Whatever happens, these are exciting times, and we'll know this time tomorrow how good the new album's likely to be.
Bring it on!

Well, here we are folks. It's that small-child-on-Christmas-Eve feeling again. When we wake up tomorrow morning we'll know...
Surely at least 4 new songs will be played and, from that, we'll know whether we're in for a brilliant Morrissey album for the first time in 20 years.
Or whether we're going to get yet another round of disappointing, mediocre, so-so indie pop featuring largely clumsy, poetry-free lyrics.
There are many reasons for pessimism. Morrissey's lost his best songwriter of the last 20 years, and we're left with the people that wrote the dullest bits of the recent (dull) albums. He seems to appear more humourless and foolish in every misjudged True to You outburst. Right until the last live show just a few months ago, he'd have us believe that the truly f***ing awful 'People are the Same' was the very best he had to offer.
But there are also grounds for optimism.
The duff 'new' songs he's performed live on recent tours have not made the album tracklist. Fank thuck for that.
He has a new songwriter on board (for the first time in 10 years excluding the minimal contribution of M Farrell) who can compose proper music - not just middling, three-chord indie pop.
He had two albums worth of songs from which to pick the very best stuff.
The song titles are arguably the most intriguing since the YATQ-era songs were announced (although the best ones of those were mainly b-sides)
The wider world is arguably more interested in him than ever before - maybe he's upped his game in response?
Whatever happens, these are exciting times, and we'll know this time tomorrow how good the new album's likely to be.
Bring it on!

I would think the two albums worth of material Jesse had referred to is probably more like a half of an album now, seeing that the deluxe version of this new album has 18 tracks?

Or two 9 song albums. :)

Back
Top Bottom