Elder musicians with more credibility than Morrissey...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

Who are your favorite elder musicians (Morrissey's generation or older) who have maintained integrity and quality longer than Morrissey has been able to?

Just finished listening to High Hopes and what can I say? Forty years later and Springsteen's last 4 albums are filled with songs that rival his very best...and that's saying something.

Bruce-Springsteen.jpg

Bob Dylan.

Like Springsteen, Bowie, and Morrissey himself, of course, there were times when he lost the plot, but his recent releases have been great, and besides, you have all those 60s and 70s classics to fall back on if all else fails.

My current favourite track is a lovely, plaintive reworking of I Want You recorded for MTV Unplugged. It takes happy longing of the original and turns it into something a lot more sinister.

It's going to take the guy's death for him to be put up on the pedestal he deserves, right at the very top of popular music, looking down even on the Beatles. He's extraordinary.

Hopefully he's working on the second volume of his autobiography. You could do worse than picking up the first volume from Amazon. A penny plus postage.

Rammstein
Formed in 1994, the original band is still together.

And Till Lindemann has published poetry books...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pet Shop Boys are on a highly successful world tour right now and every record they put out is interesting and manages to expand their sound while also sounding just like Pet Shop Boys. There is also New Order, who played a new song in concert recently that makes me eager yet again to hear their next record.

Nick Cave. His is a remarkable and enduring body of work forged by complete artistic fearlessness. He has remained creatively consistent for the duration of his 30+ years as a recording artist, which is no small feat; Push the Sky Away sounds as vital and powerful as just about anything he's done. And, at the age of 56, he still delivers incredibly dynamic and intense live performances. Seeing him with the Bad Seeds last year was one of the most extraordinary concert experiences of my life.

Leonard Cohen.

He had the sense to realise he'd lost the plot and retired to a monastery for 7 years. His manager stole his retirement fund and he re-invented himself with 3 hour stage shows that re-captured the intensity he'd largely lost in the recording studio.

Agree with choices of Springsteen, Cave and Dylan. Whilst I don't think all their later work is as good as their original motherlode, they've at least attempted to relate to the challenges of the years passing. Unlike, say, the Rolling Stones. Morrissey is a "special case" as he seems to be openly stating he's f***ed up and has made a mess of his life. Which is to be admired as honest,if it's true. However, it's hard for most people to relate to the trials and tribulations of a multi-millionaire ex-rock star trapped in a permanent purgatory of 5 star luxury hotels. Hopefully, WPINOYB engages with something beyond his navel-gazing. We'll see.

Mark E Smith. A true original. No bullshit. Intelligent lyrics mixed with raw guitars and a beefy rhythm section, being a Fall fan is weird, it's more like a stance or an attitude, that Fall sound always prominent.

You either get Mark E or you don't, I love his entire attitude to The Fall, very prolific, hard-working and makes the right decisions which retain his and The Falls originality, obscurity and integrity. I can't help but feel weak when there's a new album or tour news. It has become a big part of my life and there is so much to listen to.

Yes, he wears false teeth, so f***ing what? I love him regardless. The man's a f***ing genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Glen Campbell, Frank Sinatra. I am also a HUGE Beatles fan. But I must say, and it sounds corny, but in my opinion Morrissey is the greatest singer/songwriter since Lennon/McCartney.

I like Glen Campbell, Frank Sinatra. I am also a HUGE Beatles fan. But I must say, and it sounds corny, but in my opinion Morrissey is the greatest singer/songwriter since Lennon/McCartney.

Morrissey is and always has been a lyricist -occasionally a great one- but "songwriter" has never been on his resume. Especially not in the Lennon/McCartney sense, both of whom wrote fully formed songs together and alone. Morrissey has always been dependent on a partner to achieve the finished product.

All I can say is when I look at this list so far Morrissey comes out pretty good because I f***ing hate Bruce Springsteen and most of the rest of this is far past the expiration date.

All I can say is when I look at this list so far Morrissey comes out pretty good because I f***ing hate Bruce Springsteen and most of the rest of this is far past the expiration date.

It's nice to know somebody is still sane. Bruce Springsteen S. U. C. K. S. There just isn't any other way to put it.

Morrissey is and always has been a lyricist -occasionally a great one- but "songwriter" has never been on his resume. Especially not in the Lennon/McCartney sense, both of whom wrote fully formed songs together and alone. Morrissey has always been dependent on a partner to achieve the finished product.

Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

& Gil Scott Heron: when he was alive!
gil-scott-heron-1977_630x300.jpg

This may be an unpopular opinion but....

prince_608x376.png

Saw one of his shows last year with 3RDEYEGIRL and was absolutely blown away by the level he's performing at.

Back
Top Bottom