Elder musicians with more credibility than Morrissey...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
This may be an unpopular opinion but....

prince_608x376.png

Saw one of his shows last year with 3RDEYEGIRL and was absolutely blown away by the level he's performing at.
he was on
prince-new-girl-600x450.jpg

and he really made the episode, would love to see him perform, even now :guitar:

Rammstein
Formed in 1994, the original band is still together.

And Till Lindemann has published poetry books...

I saw them live recently and I can tell you there's no phoning it in. They haven't put out an album in a while but they're all equally good.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be an unpopular opinion but....

prince_608x376.png

Saw one of his shows last year with 3RDEYEGIRL and was absolutely blown away by the level he's performing at.

I never got why the hate for Prince. He's incredibly talented and truly believes in making music. He's one of my all-time favorites and has always done his own thing and never listened to anyone. That and he rips on guitar. Now he is a little weird but I guest a lot of people who have been famous as long as him are.

I quite like Springsteen the bloke but his music's f***ing shit, always has been. Same with Dylan, most over rated artist ever. Prince was good with the Revolution, has struggled to do anything of note without them.

I have a theory that great musicians rely on other people to bring their genius out, whether they're Lennon and McCartney, Bowie and Ronson, Morrissey and Marr or whoever you want.

Credibility? Moz has just as much as anyone else who's still making music, not more nor less. The only older sorts who've lost it are the Stones and all the re-union cash in sorts.

I quite like Springsteen the bloke but his music's f***ing shit, always has been. Same with Dylan, most over rated artist ever. Prince was good with the Revolution, has struggled to do anything of note without them.

I have a theory that great musicians rely on other people to bring their genius out, whether they're Lennon and McCartney, Bowie and Ronson, Morrissey and Marr or whoever you want.

Credibility? Moz has just as much as anyone else who's still making music, not more nor less. The only older sorts who've lost it are the Stones and all the re-union cash in sorts.

You've nailed there. Bang on Springsteen and Dylan - never seen the appeal honestly

Commercial success does not necessarily equal credibility.
You are right. Bieber-Perry-Gaga commercial success no credibility. Stones, Aerosmith commercial success - credibility. Morrissey, no commercial success - MAJOR credibility. Morrissey wins.

You are right. Bieber-Perry-Gaga commercial success no credibility. Stones, Aerosmith commercial success - credibility. Morrissey, no commercial success - MAJOR credibility. Morrissey wins.

Does Morrissey still have credibility? I think he's been on a downward slide for quite some time, which I hate to see.
I think there is a lot riding on this album and tour.

Does Morrissey still have credibility? I think he's been on a downward slide for quite some time, which I hate to see.
I think there is a lot riding on this album and tour.

Downward slide is a matter of opinion. Millions still flock to see him and that is without advertising. This makes him credible.

Strongly disagree regarding Dylan. His voice certainly can grate, but I'm hard pressed to find more a mere isolated few who are better wordsmiths than Dylan.

I don't know how you define credibility. Does relevance factor in? Artistic influence? Artistic input into their own work? I think there's a world of difference between Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Credibility for the two of them would be defined in different ways. Unfortunately Katy Perry while having less talent and being less of an artist would have more credibility because Lady Gaga tries to do more. Lady Gaga can sing, play instruments, and writes her own material. Katy Perry can wear costumes that make whipped cream shoot out of her tits while singing through autotune. But Katy Perry will continue to be popular as long as she follows her formula. She will retain the same level of credibility. Lady Gaga has written one good song on her past two albums whereas her first had at least three legitimate hits. If she wrote one "Bad Romance" every record she would maintain her level of credibility. But anyone that can write the chorus of "Applause" has pop music credibility. What about Beyonce or Rihanna? Beyonce lacks credibility to the point that people don't even think she was pregnant. Rihanna, on the other hand has released some great songs in the past couple of years. Patti Smith even covered "Stay."

The Rolling Stones can still sell out world tours but they can't make a hit album. Did this most recent tour even support a new record? It doesn't matter. No one that goes to see their show wants to hear anything released after 1986 or so anyway. "One Hit To The Body" is the last time I remember being excited about a Rolling Stones song. Aerosmith are still able to do what Aerosmith does but I really don't know about credibility. They are supposed to be a rock band. You won't be seeing Angus Young on Pop Idol.

To me selling out stadiums is one type of credibility but making you care about their new record is what it's really about.

Strongly disagree regarding Dylan. His voice certainly can grate, but I'm hard pressed to find more a mere isolated few who are better wordsmiths than Dylan.

WTF was that Chrysler commercial during the last super bowl where he was talking about Americans know their phones come form China but want their cars to come from America... 20,30,40-year-old Dylan would NEVER be paid to utter those words, total sell out which speaks to his lack of credibility in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom