Is Morrissey now past his best?

DavidGlasgow

The short answer, if you look at his back catalog, could only be 'yes'. It's extremely unlikely he will ever surpass The Smiths (!) or his successful solo albums.

There comes a time when an artist just can't churn out masterpieces - it's happened to Dylan and Bowie et al. I can only think that they just have to accept it and be thankful that they did well at their peak.

With this forthcoming album I was hoping we'd see Morrissey's 'Third Wave'. I had naive ideas that we might get an album to rival "Viva Hate" or "Vauxhall and I".

A more realistic request would be: can we have more of the quality from "You Are The Quarry?" Songs like "I'm Not Sorry", "I Know I Couldn't Last", "America Is Not The World".

They're good. They're not "Everyday Is Like Sunday", but it's really good material - I think.

Moz is 55 this year. I'll eat my hat if this album has incredible haunting lines like "but still I cannot steal a pair of jeans from a clothes liiiiine."

Maybe it's time he calmed down - took up painting - and stopped trying to be so damn 'relevant'. No doubt he'll say this new album is 'my best ever' - it's not going to be - and no amount of crass publicity stunts will make it so.

Last edited:
You haven’t heard it yet but you already have your doubts. It’s not going to be another Vauxhall because that was another time and his songwriting ability was in a different place. No matter what it sounds like, he’s not gonna please everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. Some are already critiquing his shows and he hasn’t even started yet. He's not a painter. Maybe after his tour he can work on his novel. I look forward to reading it.

You haven’t heard it yet but you already have your doubts. It’s not going to be another Vauxhall because that was another time and his songwriting ability was in a different place. No matter what it sounds like, he’s not gonna please everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. Some are already critiquing his shows and he hasn’t even started yet. He's not a painter. Maybe after his tour he can work on his novel. I look forward to reading it.

True enough Playcat I've not heard it. I just don't want another Years Of Refusal. He was belting out the names of drugs to a banging bass line. Hey it was fresh and there's some catchy songs I don't not like it but I want him to go back to a more mellow sound. Stop shouting at us and croon, Mozza.

True enough Playcat I've not heard it. I just don't want another Years Of Refusal. He was belting out the names of drugs to a banging bass line. Hey it was fresh and there's some catchy songs I don't not like it but I want him to go back to a more mellow sound. Stop shouting at us and croon, Mozza.

Have had I Won't share You on repeat. Can you imagine if we got another song like that? I would eat your hat if we did. :p

Have had I Won't share You on repeat. Can you imagine if we got another song like that? I would eat your hat if we did. :p

If I was an musician, I'd record an album during my peak, and put the disc in a safe. Then when I'm in my 50s, I'd bring it out the safe and "say look everyone what I just wrote, back in my prime!" :)

My favourite live performance right now is this:

I love how he varies the notes at the repeating ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is Morrissey now past his sell-buy date?

It seems like a poor time to ask the question with new material on the way. Looking back I might have to admit he did better pop songs with the Smiths but I like the weird stuff like Late Night, Maudlin Street and Life Is A Pigsty. He actually did a lot of good songs in the last 10 years so we won't know until he retires.

If I was an musician, I'd record an album during my peak, and put the disc in a safe. Then when I'm in my 50s, I'd bring it out the safe and "say look everyone what I just wrote, back in my prime!" :)

Brilliant idea.

My favourite live performance right now is this:

I love how he varies the notes at the repeating ending.

Lovely. That ending is so emotive. Goosebumps. Thanks for sharing this. One of my fave Moz tunes. A timeless song. Almost my life's theme song. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks wonderful in a tie. Most men do. :)

Occasionally a man will ask me, usually before a wedding etc, could you do my tie for me I don't know how - and I kind of lose a little bit of respect for them. I always wear a tie to work, no question. The tie is a curious thing, it serves no purpose other than to say 'hey, look I made an effort'

Occasionally a man will ask me, usually before a wedding etc, could you do my tie for me I don't know how - and I kind of lose a little bit of respect for them. I always wear a tie to work, no question. The tie is a curious thing, it serves no purpose other than to say 'hey, look I made an effort'

I like that. Sort of like lipstick on a lady. Even if she is just going to the end of her driveway to get the mail. My mom calls it, 'being put together.' I went to a sales seminar many years ago. And the speaker gave some advice I never forgot. She said, if you are making a call to a client or customer, dress in your business attire--even if you are calling from your home kitchen on the weekend. You will be more successful. Makes sense. Like wearing the right mask for a particular performance. Yeah, the tie says, I care about myself and I care what you think as well.

I like that. Sort of like lipstick on a lady. Even if she is just going to the end of her driveway to get the mail. My mom calls it, 'being put together.' I went to a sales seminar many years ago. And the speaker gave some advice I never forgot. She said, if you are making a call to a client or customer, dress in your business attire--even if you are calling from your home kitchen on the weekend. You will be more successful. Makes sense. Like wearing the right mask for a particular performance. Yeah, the tie says, I care about myself and I care what you think as well.

What is the working culture like in offices where you are? How common is business dress? I heard that Americans now like to dress-down, is the suit and tie gone?

This is ageist garbage that ignores how plenty of musicians older than Morrissey continue to put out great material. Just put on a recent Scott Walker record, or for that matter recent Sparks records and go away.

What is the working culture like in offices where you are? How common is business dress? I heard that Americans now like to dress-down, is the suit and tie gone?

The workplace has become a lot more casual since the nineties. However, the east coast is still a lot more formal than the west coast--both in the workplace and lifestyle in general. For instance, a restaurant in Manhattan might require a man to wear a jacket and tie. Whereas an equivalent one in Las Vegas or LA may just require a collared shirt. But it also depends on the industry one works in. Most businesses have adopted business casual. And the tech industry is very casual compared to other industries. Do you have similar dress codes there? Do you have a business casual as well?

The workplace has become a lot more casual since the nineties. However, the east coast is still a lot more formal than the west coast--both in the workplace and lifestyle in general. For instance, a restaurant in Manhattan might require a man to wear a jacket and tie. Whereas an equivalent one in Las Vegas or LA may just require a collared shirt. But it also depends on the industry one works in. Most businesses have adopted business casual. And the tech industry is very casual compared to other industries. Do you have similar dress codes there? Do you have a business casual as well?

Most people here, realitybites, turn up to work in an office environment with a tie. Sometimes when they're established they won't. My most recent experience is with newspaper newsrooms. The editor was dressed to the hilt in a shirt and tie, he would walk past so confidently I never actually spoke to him but I should have! We communicated by e-mail though. Those in charge of me were the News Desk editors and they all wore shirts and ties, they were like 30-50 years old.

The student journalists all wore good business dress. But some of the sub-editors had clearly been there a while, one of the best journos there was wearing a hoodie.

I think ties are stupid, I feel suffocated in one. Nothing looks worse than a cheap suit and tie. It's all about style not the tie.

Anyway, back on topic, the last album was one of my favourite solo ones and Something Is Squeezing My Skull is up there with anything. The only thing that let it down a were the fudgy guitars but I think it's a good album. My favourite stuff is Meat Is Murder to Viva Hate so does that make Moz past his prime? Just down to personal taste innit?

Back
Top Bottom