Is Morrissey now past his best?

I want melody and strings in any forthcoming album. Not too much yelping and yowling when you can't think of any words to fill a space.

I will buy it anyways..:)

I think the most irritating thing is that Morrissey's accent has changed slightly over time. He doesn't pronounce the words as he did back in the late 90s. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way. I don't think he can ever change it back, but I just hope he doesn't bark the songs out as he has done. The gentleness made him what he was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the most irritating thing is that Morrissey's accent has changed slightly over time. He doesn't pronounce the words as he did back in the late 90s. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way. I don't think he can ever change it back, but I just hope he doesn't bark the songs out as he has done. The gentleness made him what he was.

Unbelievable. :squiffy:

One thing I admire in Moz is his ability to switch between his Smiths tone and solo tone when singing. They're different voices and he knows it.

He can still reach the high notes but it might be a little difficult now that he's older. His voice is a little raspier. Everybody's voice changes as they get older, this is why I cant understand some of the posts I'm reading today about it. How can no one no this?

He can still reach the high notes but it might be a little difficult now that he's older. His voice is a little raspier. Everybody's voice changes as they get older, this is why I cant understand some of the posts I'm reading today about it. How can no one no this?

Playcat I personally prefer his older voice I think it's richer. He hasn't done an Elton John (poor Elton) who is now struggling with a lower range. Morrissey's voice has aged very well. He can hit notes he needs to and his voice has a resonance that I really like.

His voice has never been better!

I'm talking about the accent, not the voice. The Mancunian accent is lost and that's got nothing to do with age. It's to do where he's been living.

Anyway, plenty of these threads in the forum. They are all the basically "the moan" threads and I've put my 2 pence worth in.

Re:

I'm talking about the accent, not the voice. The Mancunian accent is lost and that's got nothing to do with age. It's where he's been living the past god knows how long.

Morrissey does not have Mancunian accent, his accent is Received Pronunciation with very weak Irish accent.

If you compare Morrissey with Johnny Marr, you wouldn't say that Morrissey had Mancunian accent.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the accent, not the voice. The Mancunian accent is lost and that's got nothing to do with age. It's to do where he's been living the past god knows how long.

Anyway, plenty of these threads in the forum. They are all the basically "the moan" threads and I've put my 2 pence worth in.

Oh, I get it now. I love his accent and yes, its not as strong as it was.

Re:

Morrissey does not have Mancunian accent, his accent is Received Pronunciation with very weak Irish accent.

Yeah, your right. I don't know why I said manc. There are definitely irish twangs in his voice. I think the accent has changed though. I'm not sure if it's even stayed the same within the last 20 years. I can't even describe what accent it is when he's sings.

Oh, I get it now. I love his accent and yes, its not as strong as it was.

I think his lisp is a lot better though

"I need advice, I need advice No one ever looks at me twice" *yelp, yowl*

but it's a good thing.

I am also pretty sure there's a yelp in "This Charming Man."

Once again though it's a good thing. A very good thing.

Playcat I personally prefer his older voice I think it's richer. He hasn't done an Elton John (poor Elton) who is now struggling with a lower range. Morrissey's voice has aged very well. He can hit notes he needs to and his voice has a resonance that I really like.

Me too! Richer is the exact word I used to describe it earlier today:D

But this is not to say that I didn't love parts about his voice over the years... of course! There was a raw fearlessness in the early Smith's days full of yelps, growls, yodels,etc. that can never be again and was well...magic.

I feel the basic premise of this thread...are Morrissey's best years behind him, is flawed. I don't think it's possible for any of us to judge that now. I personally don't even want to consider that, although I know I may come to that conclusion in time.

This is just such an exciting time! There are many unknowns, many possibilities. I am filled with anticipation and optomism! I just want to enjoy the time, and really we can only judge the new album after time has passed. I know many of us will be weighing in in the hours and days of first hearing the new record (me gushing, I'm sure:p) but we need time, really.

So whether or not long term history will regard 2014+ as the golden years of Morrissey (which is doubtful) doesn't diminish the great possibility of many wonderful things to come from our Morrissey!

Why does it matter? It's only entertainment. If it's a return to form, enjoy it. If it's more hissy-fit nonsense, enjoy it. What's not to like? It's hardly important.

I tire of this again. I'll be back when there's some actual music or on-stage meltdowns to LOL! at. Till then: bye!

Why does it matter? It's only entertainment. If it's a return to form, enjoy it. If it's more hissy-fit nonsense, enjoy it. What's not to like? It's hardly important.

I tire of this again. I'll be back when there's some actual music or on-stage meltdowns to LOL! at. Till then: bye!

See ya! Wouldn't wanna BE ya!

Back
Top Bottom