Women who eat on tubes

I have a funny story about PDAs. Want to hear it?

6787_cat_yes.jpg

OK. I hope I can tell it so you get how hilarious it actually was. I am not a skilled storyteller. But I will give it a go.

Many moons ago when my boobs were at their perkiest and my lips were ripe with wanting, my lover and I met at the mall to 'get together.' We ventured out into the parking lot and found a nice picnic table at the far end of the lot. It seemed somewhat remote and private to us young, ignorant horndogs. So we, being the raging hormonal teenagers we were, started kissing and groping and the next thing you know his hand is up my shirt. Being in the throws of passion, I am rendered oblivious to the outer world... until... WHAM! I am startled and shaken out of my sextrance by a loud thunk. I look up, eyes wide open now, and see a cab with the driver looking me straight in the eyes coming toward us. But then, suddenly, he makes a swift turn to the left and, THUNK, he is back over the curb and on the road again. Holy shit, we almost caused a major accident! Hysterical laughter ensues. But not for long, for we soon return to the kissing and groping and...

Laughing?

It is intrusive and invasive and goes against the unspoken norm, civil inattention. Would it be much different if I were to take pics of people in an elevator and post them online? When we share tight public spaces we expect each other to adhere to some common rules around privacy. Staring is a no no. Picking one's nose is a no no. Taking pics of non-celebrities is a no no. (Some would argue celebs should be included as well.) Eating on a bus or train, I would suggest, should be a no no as well. It isn't a freaking restaurant. There are times and places to have a meal. Public transport and the movie theater shouldn't be one of those places. Having a coffee or cup of tea is different. But plan ahead for meals. Eat before or after you board the tube, bus, etc. Unless you are riding for more than four hours, you can wait to have a snack. Do you eat all day while working? No.

While I think it is unethical to take pics of people eating and post them online for voyeurs to comment on and exploit, I also think there is a time and a place for everything. The time to eat is not while riding public transport or while driving one's car. Or even riding in a car unless you are a baby being breastfed by mom.

It's true that it goes against the unspoken norm. A lot of these people would say that it is all in good fun though. I notice they don't have their own images submitted for deconstruction.

I guess I don't mind so much that people eat on the tube. Aren't we all human? If someone wants to eat a packet of crisps next to me, my own sense of self and propriety is not compromised. Live and let live I say. We are all brothers and sisters. Why should my sensibilities rank higher than a person who wants to eat an apple?

Then again, I do eat while working because sometimes to not do so would mean not eating at all. Guilty.

Only diabetics need to eat on public transport in an emergency, and then it's a discreet glucose tablet. Everybody else needs to enrol at finishing school. It always amazes me that people hold on to tube straps and bars, press touchscreens for tickets, then transfer a myriad of microbes and viruses from strangers into their mouth and gut. The same applies for people who eat at office desks, they may as well eat their sandwiches in a public toilet.

The basic prerequisites for a dignified life are impulse control and deferred gratification. When our children were toddlers, it was tiring to train them to understand that "I want it! I want it now!" was an inappropriate response to confectionery adverts. I know many adults who still exhibit hissy fit toddler temper tantrums in restaurants, bars and hotels if they don't get what they want. They are not my friends and I would never embarrass myself by associating with people who are rude to waiters or room cleaners. I can't see a difference between wilding out because your starter is late and insisting on eating fried food on tubes. It's all "me!".

Of course, the links between online and offline etiquette are pretty clear. Whilst some here 'act out' in a post-modern pantomime it's clear that there are others who bash away at their keyboards hurling insults whilst probably stuffing their faces with burnt food. Probably on a i-Device on the tube/bus/at the traffic lights.

The best (and worst) thing about a plant-based diet is that it immediately renders 'haram' almost everything classed as 'food' in modern urban environments. Long journeys are planned around M&S motorway service stations and a packed lunch. Travel in London, in particular, is "challenging" enough without also trying to digest food. I have concluded we do not live in a civilised society. If a man/women is eating on a tube, they are either ignorant or victims of economic coercion whereby they are forced to give up the need for breakfast and lunch to meet the demands of 'economic efficiency'. These costs are then passed on to other taxpayers via the NHS to deal with the resulting gastric illnesses caused by eating on the 'hoof'. It's time to question why so many people's work/life balance is so out of whack that they can only eat whilst rushing from the office to the child-minders. Etc.

None of these factors excuses 'stranger shaming' on tubes. I would never photograph anyone without their permission. If people knew how unhygienic it was to eat in public, most would stop today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/8-facts-eating-at-your-desk_n_2999150.html

If Vienna can do it, why is London any different?

"
[h=1]Vienna introduces £40 fines for kissing, speaking on a mobile phone and eating smelly takeaways on public transport[/h]
  • Transport chiefs act after reporting a series of increasingly odd incidents
  • One couple had sex, and another passenger brought their horse on board
  • New sheriffs have the power to issue fines to anyone caught breaking rules

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-eating-smelly-takeaways.html#ixzz2z9KOCGYO

Only diabetics need to eat on public transport in an emergency, and then it's a discreet glucose tablet. Everybody else needs to enrol at finishing school. It always amazes me that people hold on to tube straps and bars, press touchscreens for tickets, then transfer a myriad of microbes and viruses from strangers into their mouth and gut. The same applies for people who eat at office desks, they may as well eat their sandwiches in a public toilet.

The basic prerequisites for a dignified life are impulse control and deferred gratification. When our children were toddlers, it was tiring to train them to understand that "I want it! I want it now!" was an inappropriate response to confectionery adverts. I know many adults who still exhibit hissy fit toddler temper tantrums in restaurants, bars and hotels if they don't get what they want. They are not my friends and I would never embarrass myself by associating with people who are rude to waiters or room cleaners. I can't see a difference between wilding out because your starter is late and insisting on eating fried food on tubes. It's all "me!".

Of course, the links between online and offline etiquette are pretty clear. Whilst some here 'act out' in a post-modern pantomime it's clear that there are others who bash away at their keyboards hurling insults whilst probably stuffing their faces with burnt food. Probably on a i-Device on the tube/bus/at the traffic lights.

The best (and worst) thing about a plant-based diet is that it immediately renders 'haram' almost everything classed as 'food' in modern urban environments. Long journeys are planned around M&S motorway service stations and a packed lunch. Travel in London, in particular, is "challenging" enough without also trying to digest food. I have concluded we do not live in a civilised society. If a man/women is eating on a tube, they are either ignorant or victims of economic coercion whereby they are forced to give up the need for breakfast and lunch to meet the demands of 'economic efficiency'. These costs are then passed on to other taxpayers via the NHS to deal with the resulting gastric illnesses caused by eating on the 'hoof'. It's time to question why so many people's work/life balance is so out of whack that they can only eat whilst rushing from the office to the child-minders. Etc.

None of these factors excuses 'stranger shaming' on tubes. I would never photograph anyone without their permission. If people knew how unhygienic it was to eat in public, most would stop today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/8-facts-eating-at-your-desk_n_2999150.html

If Vienna can do it, why is London any different?

"
[h=1]Vienna introduces £40 fines for kissing, speaking on a mobile phone and eating smelly takeaways on public transport[/h]
  • Transport chiefs act after reporting a series of increasingly odd incidents
  • One couple had sex, and another passenger brought their horse on board
  • New sheriffs have the power to issue fines to anyone caught breaking rules

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-eating-smelly-takeaways.html#ixzz2z9KOCGYO

So are you offended by people eating on the tube? Or is it concern for their health? Or is it a public health issue where you feel NHS budgets will be used frittered away on those who eat during a journey due to an ever increasing instability in the work-life balance? Or do you feel that it is a lack of self constraint if people choose to eat when they are hungry even if that means eating in public?

Is it ok if people eat on a platform before getting on the tube? Or maybe eating in a public space should be discouraged. What about eating in a park? In a canteen? Perhaps eating in a restaurant should be also refrained from especially if the food is likely to be "smelly". Maybe we should all eat behind closed doors in our home. On our own.

Vienna is an interesting example though. Especially as it never eventuated.

http://www.phil-euro-bulletin.com/?p=2527

OK. I hope I can tell it so you get how hilarious it actually was. I am not a skilled storyteller. But I will give it a go.

Many moons ago when my boobs were at their perkiest and my lips were ripe with wanting, my lover and I met at the mall to 'get together.' We ventured out into the parking lot and found a nice picnic table at the far end of the lot. It seemed somewhat remote and private to us young, ignorant horndogs. So we, being the raging hormonal teenagers we were, started kissing and groping and the next thing you know his hand is up my shirt. Being in the throws of passion, I am rendered oblivious to the outer world... until... WHAM! I am startled and shaken out of my sextrance by a loud thunk. I look up, eyes wide open now, and see a cab with the driver looking me straight in the eyes coming toward us. But then, suddenly, he makes a swift turn to the left and, THUNK, he is back over the curb and on the road again. Holy shit, we almost caused a major accident! Hysterical laughter ensues. But not for long, for we soon return to the kissing and groping and...

Laughing?

Major accident? You almost got killed! :eek:

So are you offended by people eating on the tube? Or is it concern for their health? Or is it a public health issue where you feel NHS budgets will be used frittered away on those who eat during a journey due to an ever increasing instability in the work-life balance? Or do you feel that it is a lack of self constraint if people choose to eat when they are hungry even if that means eating in public?

Is it ok if people eat on a platform before getting on the tube? Or maybe eating in a public space should be discouraged. What about eating in a park? In a canteen? Perhaps eating in a restaurant should be also refrained from especially if the food is likely to be "smelly". Maybe we should all eat behind closed doors in our home. On our own.

Vienna is an interesting example though. Especially as it never eventuated.

http://www.phil-euro-bulletin.com/?p=2527

The answers to the questions in your first paragraph are given in my comment. Read it again. Slowly. Without also trying to simultaneously chew gum.

The answers to the questions in your second paragraph are: No. Yes. Only on a picnic blanket with hygiene wipes. Eating in canteens is exactly what canteens exist for. What do you use them for? *thinking* Certain foods in restaurants can be problematic to other guests, especially if tables are too close together. In general people should confine their eating to private places such as their homes or to approved public restauants, though a picnic in the park patrolled by park security staff is also acceptable behaviour.

Very Vienna! Much me laugh. How irony. Epic FAIL! Such lulz! So Singapore!

"Durian, also known as the "King of fruits" is a strong flavoured fruit which some people love while others think it produces a pungent smell. Though it is commonly found along streets in Singapore, the smell can become potent in air-conditioned areas. Singapore MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) has banned commuters from bringing it into the trains as it might cause a disturbance smell to others while riding the train. So far, there wasn't any fine imposed on this law.

Of course, besides that, we also have the following fines in the train.

No eating / drinking, S$ 500 fine
No smoking, S$ 1,000 fine
No flammable goods, S$5,000 fine"

http://singapore-the-fine-city.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/bringing-durian-into-mrt-station.html

Your comment smells of Durian. Iona Mink-stink lands in her own online poo. Evacuate this thread to escape her durian-scented guff!

"a whole thread in an online forum was evacuated after a smell from an imported Iona Stink, being tested by Malaysian agriculture officers for freshness, seeped into the ventilation causing staff at neighbouring offices to flee, fearing a gas leak"-

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/w...gers-patient-evacuation-at-melbourne-hospital

Try again....*sigh*

I was on a train near a woman who was eating a bagel covered in pimento cheese yesterday and the smell was quite nauseating, as were the sounds of her little badger teeth slicing through the crunchy object. I hope she may rot in Hell.

I can't believe the idea of photographing people who do this is controversial. Women like to imagine that everyone wants to rape them.

Women who eat on tubes? This topic makes me think of.......FISH! I hope women don't start eating surströmming on the tube. Would Iona Mink uphold women's right to make the carriage stink so? Don't think so!

http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/T...le/Swedish-traditions/Food-Fermented-herring/

Let's put all the victim script feminists on this thread in a tube train with a picnic basket of 18 foods to share with each other, free from men spreading their legs and taking up space. Etc.
[h=1]18 Stinky Foods From Around the World[/h]
http://www.openjourney.com/article/18-stinky-foods-around-the-world-41.html

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Women who eat on tubes? This topic makes me think of.......FISH! I hope women don't start eating surströmming on the tube. Would Iona Mink uphold women's right to make the carriage stink so? Don't think so!

http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/T...le/Swedish-traditions/Food-Fermented-herring/

Let's put all the victim script feminists on this thread in a tube train with a picnic basket of 18 foods to share with each other, free from men spreading their legs and taking up space. Etc.
[h=1]18 Stinky Foods From Around the World[/h]
http://www.openjourney.com/article/18-stinky-foods-around-the-world-41.html

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Let's not and say we did. :rolleyes: Go away.

Let's not and say we did. :rolleyes: Go away.

Wow! Dumb contribution from Playcat2000. How novel! And an emoticon! I can still smell fish....is it your pussy? In your avatar, I mean? Has you fed her some surströmming? Or do you not realise when it's time to throw out old cat-food? You're meant to refrigerate those tins,dear. Poor little cat, trapped with a crackpot. Do you take your pussy on the tube? In a basket?

Last edited:
Major accident? You almost got killed! :eek:

Did my story give you the willies? I don't kiss and grope in public any longer. Hell, try to get me to hold someone's hand.

Here is a PDA that made my skin crawl. I was sitting in one of those lame, cheap, metal chairs in the auditorium watching my son on stage with the other kids doing their thing in their spring show, when I looked to my right and saw the wife of one of our local firefighters running her carefully manicured nails through the back of his hair, then scratching his neck, then in the hair again. It went on for ten minutes. I was just waiting to hear him moan. It was so nauseating and emasculating. It was like she was his mommy tending to her little boy. He looked so passive. Not like a hero at all. Yuck.

Last edited:
The answers to the questions in your first paragraph are given in my comment. Read it again. Slowly. Without also trying to simultaneously chew gum.

The answers to the questions in your second paragraph are: No. Yes. Only on a picnic blanket with hygiene wipes. Eating in canteens is exactly what canteens exist for. What do you use them for? *thinking* Certain foods in restaurants can be problematic to other guests, especially if tables are too close together. In general people should confine their eating to private places such as their homes or to approved public restauants, though a picnic in the park patrolled by park security staff is also acceptable behaviour.

Very Vienna! Much me laugh. How irony. Epic FAIL! Such lulz! So Singapore!

"Durian, also known as the "King of fruits" is a strong flavoured fruit which some people love while others think it produces a pungent smell. Though it is commonly found along streets in Singapore, the smell can become potent in air-conditioned areas. Singapore MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) has banned commuters from bringing it into the trains as it might cause a disturbance smell to others while riding the train. So far, there wasn't any fine imposed on this law.

Of course, besides that, we also have the following fines in the train.

No eating / drinking, S$ 500 fine
No smoking, S$ 1,000 fine
No flammable goods, S$5,000 fine"

http://singapore-the-fine-city.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/bringing-durian-into-mrt-station.html

Your comment smells of Durian. Iona Mink-stink lands in her own online poo. Evacuate this thread to escape her durian-scented guff!

"a whole thread in an online forum was evacuated after a smell from an imported Iona Stink, being tested by Malaysian agriculture officers for freshness, seeped into the ventilation causing staff at neighbouring offices to flee, fearing a gas leak"-

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/w...gers-patient-evacuation-at-melbourne-hospital

Try again....*sigh*

No need to try again. You respond to my legitimate comments with name calling. I win.

Wow! Dumb contribution from Playcat2000. How novel! And an emoticon! I can still smell fish....is it your pussy? In your avatar, I mean? Has you fed her some surströmming? Or do you not realise when it's time to throw out old cat-food? You're meant to refrigerate those tins,dear. Poor little cat, trapped with a crackpot. Do you take your pussy on the tube? In a basket?

You actually had to go back and edit your filthy response because you thought of something even more stupid than before because your original response wasn't offensive enough for you? Wow, you must really be a hit with the ladies. :rolleyes:

Did my story give you the willies? I don't kiss and grope in public any longer. Hell, try to get me to hold someone's hand.

Here is a PDA that made my skin crawl. I was sitting in one of those lame, cheap, metal chairs in the auditorium watching my son on stage with the other kids doing their thing in their spring show, when I looked to my right and saw the wife of one of our local firefighters running her carefully manicured nails through the back of his hair, then scratching his neck, then in the hair again. It went on for ten minutes. I was just waiting to hear him moan. It was so nauseating and emasculating. It was like she was his mommy tending to her little boy. He looked so passive. Not like a hero at all. Yuck.

Ha! Men. Rub them the right way and they will do anything. :lbf: I get what you're saying tho, that would have made me cringe too. :squiffy:

I think that is sweet. Why is it emasculating to receive love? Is showing you care about someone only reserved for mothers and their sons? I don't know. If I saw a mother rubbing her child's neck and running her fingers through his hair hair I would be kind of creeped out.

I don't think you have to kiss and grope but is affection not welcomed either? Maybe it is the way you love. You might be interested in this quiz.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/

I suppose it's about finding someone who has a compatible love style to yours.

Last edited:
You actually had to go back and edit your filthy response because you thought of something even more stupid than before because your original response wasn't offensive enough for you? Wow, you must really be a hit with the ladies. :rolleyes:

Wow! The exact same emoticon. You're so versatile....

My response wasn't filty, that's just your mind. 'Ladies'? That's not very feminist. Are you a lady? Are you lady-like? I picture you eating on a tube, daintily picking at sushi whilst reading a personal improvement manual. Your elegance and refinement is noted by all.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to try again. You respond to my legitimate comments with name calling. I win.

Your 'legitimate comments' revealed you either didn't read my comment or were unable to retain the detail in your short-term memory. You lose. But have another fish cake anyway.

Back
Top Bottom