The power of Morrissey

No1uno

Member of the Month™
Subscriber
I know the power that it has had with me. I have cried many times to various smith/moz songs throughout different times of my life, albeit it's been a while. So for me, "getting there" to what's inside with a song is not strange. But take an average person not used to "getting there" and it is pretty powerful.

In my mid 20's I bought my first house. A colleague came over to check it out once I was settled. He was a little older than me and married with a child. I knew they were separated though. We go through the house and we kick back with a beer. His wife comes up in conversation and he is hurting. The stuff he was saying was not revealed in the office. He says she is asking for a divorce. He doesn't want a divorce and he won't let go.

I say, you have to listen this, this has made me feel better at times when I'm holding to tight. I pull out the Queen Is Dead CD. I pop it into the CD player in the living room and play "I Know It's Over". I hand him the lyric sheet.

He is sitting in the armchair looking down at at the lyrics, the song is playing. I am sitting on the couch, safe, understood and comforted by the song. The song builds as you know from a "why me" into beautiful despair of life seemingly given up on and "ending".

I look over and he is sobbing. He is embarrassed and puts his sunglasses on. He has been shaken to the core, it has spoke directly to him and he wasn't prepared to go there. I told him it was ok, it was going to be ok.

He ended up divorced, I saw him get married several years later, and he has never been happier. Maybe Morrissey helped him let go. Funny though, I never played Morrissey for someone in pain again.

Do you have any stories of the power of Morrissey.

no

Yes, I do, but thats the sort if thing I would hope I would only talk about to people in person. :straightface:
Maybe in PMs if we have known each other for years on here. :o
or or, well, you know sometimes I'm :squiffy: then who knows what I might talk about :eek:

Re: The power of Robby

Fair enough

Last December, my girlfriend and I travelled four hours down the M6 to visit Manchester for the first time. The next day we left the hotel and set the Sat-Nav for Salford Lads Club.

The locals were completely unfazed by our presence. Women pushed prams around, people dove in and out of the shop opposite, and boys rode their bikes around.

1240373_10151749505226428_2369637_n.jpg 1604387_10152013763122886_839391169_n.jpg

1477639_10151913270142886_976260860_n.jpg 1452329_10151913274052886_1265199783_n.jpg

Last edited:

Standing in a pub with a old friend of mine and "How Soon is Now?" comes on. He groans and rolls his eyes. "I don't no why you are into this guy" he says "he's soooo depressing." Nah I say, there more to him than that and as Morrissey starts to sing I speak the word, telling him each line just before it is sung. I think it must have been the first time he had actually considered the words and by the time the song had finished he was a Smiths/Morrissey fan.

People who say Morrissey is depressing really don’t know anything about him or his songs and are just going by what some uninformed journalist said about him. Music is always up for interpretation and for me, his songs are uplifting, funny and make me happy. I’m so sick of people referring to his fans as depressed and suicidal. I think Adele is depressing.

Playcat you are right, his songs are uplifting. Even from an outside observer they may be depressing but if you have ever felt any of those feeling then his words are comforting as positive, so I feel the same way you do.

I like the how soon is now story, that would be a awesome fantasy, I imagined that happening to me from a girl flirting, funny.

Robby, stop the crap and give us one, c'mon.

Trouble, sorry.

David, the pics looks like a bucket list thing and are awesome.

I know the power that it has had with me. I have cried many times to various smith/moz songs throughout different times of my life, albeit it's been a while. So for me, "getting there" to what's inside with a song is not strange. But take an average person not used to "getting there" and it is pretty powerful.

In my mid 20's I bought my first house. A colleague came over to check it out once I was settled. He was a little older than me and married with a child. I knew they were separated though. We go through the house and we kick back with a beer. His wife comes up in conversation and he is hurting. The stuff he was saying was not revealed in the office. He says she is asking for a divorce. He doesn't want a divorce and he won't let go.

I say, you have to listen this, this has made me feel better at times when I'm holding to tight. I pull out the Queen Is Dead CD. I pop it into the CD player in the living room and play "I Know It's Over". I hand him the lyric sheet.

He is sitting in the armchair looking down at at the lyrics, the song is playing. I am sitting on the couch, safe, understood and comforted by the song. The song builds as you know from a "why me" into beautiful despair of life seemingly given up on and "ending".

I look over and he is sobbing. He is embarrassed and puts his sunglasses on. He has been shaken to the core, it has spoke directly to him and he wasn't prepared to go there. I told him it was ok, it was going to be ok.

He ended up divorced, I saw him get married several years later, and he has never been happier. Maybe Morrissey helped him let go. Funny though, I never played Morrissey for someone in pain again.

I think what you are referring to here is the power of music.

OK, OK, Uno, but only because I am really drunk and perhaps it is time for the full story to be told :squiffy:
a little background first though :o
one of my favorite songs is "Slice of Life" by Bauhaus and more than once I have mentioned how I saw this goddess dressed in red in a sea of people dressed in black when the song was playing at Helter Skelter(an L.A. goth club) :blushing:
however, the truth is that such was not enough for me to approach her, see, I had lost my mojo and had only come to the club because someone else dragged me there to the club, let's call him Z.
anyways, I lingered looking on her through out most of the song, determined that she was with other people, but no one I knew, so no "in" for me there :(
which had become my modus operandi at that point since, even though I had not been there in months in an attempt to reform, go straight, get sober, throw myself into work and all that :rolleyes: the truth is I most felt most at home there with "my people" the regulars and DJs were all my friends, so when I went out to dance to the end of "Slice of Life" Robert, no, not me, the DJ recognized me and played a song he knew I loved since he had been my roommate for about 6 months about a year previously, how did he know this?
because part of my going out ritual was to play "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" certain lyrics to this song always filled me with courage to talk to women
naturally he played this song, and well, by the time I heard Morrissey sing:
And in the darkened underpass
I thought oh God, my chance has come at last
(But then a strange fear gripped me and I
Just couldn't ask)

my decision was made, I would talk to this goddess dressed in red, all I needed was a wingman, which I found, let's call him T.
and well, the next decade of my life was largely defined by HER presence in it and some might say even the next s8 or so years that have followed
I know Z. & T. believe this :cool: whatever, I would not change a thing...

Robby,thanks

Morrissey can save dying squirrels & birds with water & stale bread. Now that's power.
However, the power could lie in the water and stale bread rather than Morrissey himself...I'd need to see him save one of them without his bag of voodoo tricks first to confirm or deny.

Morrissey can save dying squirrels & birds with water & stale bread. Now that's power.
However, the power could lie in the water and stale bread rather than Morrissey himself...I'd need to see him save one of them without his bag of voodoo tricks first to confirm or deny.

Ok funny ones are cool to. One time, while at the front row at his concert, he touched my hand, my skin was softer after that I swear. I told the doctor but he just said it was the lotion I was using. I still think it was Morrissey.

Ok funny ones are cool to. One time, while at the front row at his concert, he touched my hand, my skin was softer after that I swear. I told the doctor but he just said it was the lotion I was using. I still think it was Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^^^^Didn't you post a story in this thread, why did you delete it? I thought it was a good story.

Last edited:

Playcat you are right, his songs are uplifting. Even from an outside observer they may be depressing but if you have ever felt any of those feeling then his words are comforting as positive, so I feel the same way you do.

I like the how soon is now story, that would be a awesome fantasy, I imagined that happening to me from a girl flirting, funny.

Trouble, sorry.

David, the pics looks like a bucket list thing and are awesome.

Thanks. I recovered within about three minutes of hearing the news.

Thanks. I recovered within about three minutes of hearing the news.
And I don't doubt that for a second.

- - - Updated - - -

You did? Was not sure if it fit the description of the thread. I guess I should have left it, eh?

Yes, don't delete the good ones, I'm mean no one was bickering at you over that one.

Last December, my girlfriend and I travelled four hours down the M6 to visit Manchester for the first time. The next day we left the hotel and set the Sat-Nav for Salford Lads Club.

The locals were completely unfazed by our presence. Women pushed prams around, people dove in and out of the shop opposite, and boys rode their bikes around.

View attachment 31523 View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525 View attachment 31526

I went here too, I just posted a picture in the members pics thread...it was an amazing experience for me...I felt connected to him in a way that I hadn't before...

Back
Top Bottom