Future Islands, the synthpop Smiths?

f***ing love Future Islands, their latest album is definitely their breakthrough and worthy of being so. However the first two albums are fantastic too.

I wouldn't say there is that much similarity with the Smiths, I think they're their own band. If I had to pick an influence the prominent basslines evoke New Order for me. However each to their own.

I'm seeing them in Manchester in May and I am really excited. Fantastic band.

No doubt some f***ing weirdos on here will hate them, but whatevz.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/singles/future-islands

This is their breakthrough album. Excellent production, lyrics, replay factor.

Fascinating, absorbing, live performance. GG Allin meets Sam Cooke meets off off broadway thesp.

Whoa, that is not like anything I have heard or seen before. At first I was not sure about it. But by the end, I was hooked. Charismatic and engaging front man. Love the music. Going to go hunt the lyrics and some more of their tunes. Thanks for posting this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought tickets to see them in Phoenix on April 20th. Listening to Singles now. Love it.

Love the track, Back in the Tall Grass.

Just watching the guy I was a little put off just with his visual image. He has a confidence though and a passion to make what he is doing work. The first thing I thought is that they are older, not young, so they may be really good musicians with vision. But I have to say, the music was appealing and I will look into them more.

Hey this is the Anon that posted this, I'm a longtime lurker, glad people from here liked this.

Here's the lyrics link. http://www.future-islands.com/lyrics.html

Quite darkly poetic and yet hopeful, not as utterly brilliant as Moz, but in the same vein. I would say "Singles" has the most replay factor for me out of all their stuff. But "On The Water" and "In The Evening Air" have at least 7 strong tracks each.

Speaking of which here's some more cool live performances from those albums.

Inch Of Dust

Vireo's Eye. Great song, great energy from everyone, one of the only times the lead singer is much subdued than everyone else. Second song is meh.

Tin Man. Stay for the end!

Ooops, forgot one. This is actually my favorite other than Seasons..

I listened to a few of their other songs. I love his voice - but watching him move kind of reminded me of...

Smiths and Future Islands? Well, here's at least one thing that's similar.

I cannot stop listening to these guys...after watching their Letterman performance (maybe, 20 times?); I'm totally hooked...I purchased their "Singles" album and love it...My favorite song from that album is "Spirit."

go baltimore. i like them pretty good after the wye oak and the death set

Seasons was the voted track of the year by Pitchfork and the Guardian! And if that song and/or Singles is the only thing you've checked out, thus far, I highly recommended these. They are as good as the best tracks on Singles. Lower production quality though.

One of the best bands around. I adore them.

Back
Top Bottom