2014 baseball thread

well now they get to play the astros a bunch now that they're in the AL!
How do you feel about that? I mean I am glad the leagues are balanced now, but seems like the Astros got the short end of the stick
I mean we all know the AL don't really play "real baseball" :cool::lbf::o

Dodger update:
9 & 4, offense looks great, bullpen still a worry...

I feel like they got gipped by being forced to go. All the rivalries they've had are gone. An already bad team going into a league with better pitching when their offense was already anemic. I would've suggested the brewers change since they were AL to begin with. That being said, I feel in time it'll work out for the Astros. If they start winning they'll be a desirable spot to play. The cities where Texas teams play are all very desirable and can attract good players that aren't lured in by celebrity.

I feel like they got gipped by being forced to go. All the rivalries they've had are gone. An already bad team going into a league with better pitching when their offense was already anemic. I would've suggested the brewers change since they were AL to begin with. That being said, I feel in time it'll work out for the Astros. If they start winning they'll be a desirable spot to play. The cities where Texas teams play are all very desirable and can attract good players that aren't lured in by celebrity.
Yeah, places like L.A., New York, Chicago, Boston, Miami can really destroy many a player, there is just so much coming at them. :eek:
Also, I too thought the Brewers should have been the one to go, I mean f*ck Bud Selig, right? :p

it is a bad name, do they even play on "astroturf" or in the "Astrodome"? :confused::oas for my Dodgers, 8 & 4, which is good, but my god, that $ bullpen aint all that :cool:
can't see them winning it all unless they get better with their late inning pitching :straightface:

It gets pretty dicey for the Astros when they head down to Kissimmee, Florida for spring training. Although technically, they are still the Houston Astros, the locals like to refer to them as the Kissimmee Astros. One could break that down as, Kiss-a-me Ass.... It's been a running gag down there for years. Maybe, its not hilarious, but its been a gag down there for years. I like the Astros name, at least it's interesting. A few teams have boring names such as the Rays, Nationals, and the Braves. The Nationals is the worst, in my opinion.

Yeah, places like L.A., New York, Chicago, Boston, Miami can really destroy many a player, there is just so much coming at them. :eek:
Also, I too thought the Brewers should have been the one to go, I mean f*ck Bud Selig, right? :p

I agree, I wish the Brewers would've gone back to the American League where they belong. Plus, the Astros definitely belong in the NL. The ghosts of their past are all in the NL. The Astrodome, the puzzling decision to trade Joe Morgan to the Reds, Enos Cabell, Jose' Cruz, Joe Niekro, J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, the terrible stroke that ended J.R. Richard's career at the age of 30, "Astroman," and the ten amazing days he camped out on top of the Astrodome, Mike Scott & his split-fingered fastball, "Bags" and "Biggs" and the "Killer B's," Roy Oswalt, the 2005 World Series appearance, Craig Biggio joins the 3,000 hit club (he had 5 hits the night he surpassed the 3,000 hit plateau), all ghosts from their NL past. I'm a BlueJays fan but I've always appreciated the Astros. They're now in their 2nd year in the AL. It's just not the same.

J.R. Richard & Nolan Ryan.jpg

J.R. Richard & Nolan Ryan

I agree, I wish the Brewers would've gone back to the American League where they belong. Plus, the Astros definitely belong in the NL. The ghosts of their past are all in the NL. The Astrodome, the puzzling decision to trade Joe Morgan to the Reds, Enos Cabell, Jose' Cruz, Joe Niekro, J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, the terrible stroke that ended J.R. Richard's career at the age of 30, "Astroman," and the ten amazing days he camped out on top of the Astrodome, Mike Scott & his split-fingered fastball, "Bags" and "Biggs" and the "Killer B's," Roy Oswalt, the 2005 World Series appearance, Craig Biggio joins the 3,000 hit club (he had 5 hits the night he surpassed the 3,000 hit plateau), all ghosts from their NL past. I'm a BlueJays fan but I've always appreciated the Astros. They're now in their 2nd year in the AL. It's just not the same.

View attachment 31518

J.R. Richard & Nolan Ryan
Omg Justin, those uniforms! I remember them. As for the Astros, they hold an odd significance for me because they were the first team (outside of the Cali ones) who I went to l one of the home games of.
My dad lived for extended periods in Houston and when I visited him, we would catch one of their games, root against them if they were playing the Dodgers or for them if it was anyone else.
Anyways, we saw a couple of games back in 86, in the Astrodome I mean, I saw Nolan Ryan pitch one game and Mike Scott another, the 'Stros won both, so I jumped on the bandwagon that year, hoping for them and the Angels* to meet up in the World series, neither of them made it.
I still remember that endless game 6 they played against the Mets and lost.
As to the name, they should go back to their original one:
279d1153111284-colt-stadium-1962-houston-colt-45-yearbook-.jpg

:guitar:

*=Was at the game "Donnie Moore game", have not been to one of their home games since, and after the Angels completed the disaster by losing in 7 after being one strike away from the World Series in that game 5, well, I did not watch another of their games til 2002, when they finally made it to and won the world series. Still, never really been a big fan of the AL, though I've enjoyed some games in Oakland back in the late 2000s...

Last edited:
It gets pretty dicey for the Astros when they head down to Kissimmee, Florida for spring training. Although technically, they are still the Houston Astros, the locals like to refer to them as the Kissimmee Astros. One could break that down as, Kiss-a-me Ass.... It's been a running gag down there for years. Maybe, its not hilarious, but its been a gag down there for years. I like the Astros name, at least it's interesting. A few teams have boring names such as the Rays, Nationals, and the Braves. The Nationals is the worst, in my opinion.

I liked it when they were the devil rays. It's too bad the nats didn't reclaim the senators name.

I liked it when they were the devil rays. It's too bad the nats didn't reclaim the senators name.
Guess Florida is too bible banging a place for "Devil" to be in their name I guess. :rolleyes:
& Yeah, what is up with that, why couldn't they be the Senators, did the Twins block them from doing so?

Guess Florida is too bible banging a place for "Devil" to be in their name I guess. :rolleyes:
& Yeah, what is up with that, why couldn't they be the Senators, did the Twins block them from doing so?

No idea but the ray's should be relocated. The fanbase there has consistently failed to support that team. barely being able to sell out while on a world series run. It's the most terrible stadium in the league with the most fairweather fans. Even Miami tried to support the terrible marlins and they're the most apathetic fans in sports.

No idea but the ray's should be relocated. The fanbase there has consistently failed to support that team. barely being able to sell out while on a world series run. It's the most terrible stadium in the league with the most fairweather fans. Even Miami tried to support the terrible marlins and they're the most apathetic fans in sports.
yeah, f*** Tampa, hate that town anyhoo, but Miami apathetic? I've spent some time in that town and well
1994_zpsf45831d3.gif
they may just have other things on their minds :eek:

Omg Justin, those uniforms! I remember them. As for the Astros, they hold an odd significance for me because they were the first team (outside of the Cali ones) who I went to l one of the home games of.
My dad lived for extended periods in Houston and when I visited him, we would catch one of their games, root against them if they were playing the Dodgers or for them if it was anyone else.
Anyways, we saw a couple of games back in 86, in the Astrodome I mean, I saw Nolan Ryan pitch one game and Mike Scott another, the 'Stros won both, so I jumped on the bandwagon that year, hoping for them and the Angels* to meet up in the World series, neither of them made it.
I still remember that endless game 6 they played against the Mets and lost.
As to the name, they should go back to their original one:
279d1153111284-colt-stadium-1962-houston-colt-45-yearbook-.jpg

:guitar:

*=Was at the game "Donnie Moore game", have not been to one of their home games since, and after the Angels completed the disaster by losing in 7 after being one strike away from the World Series in that game 5, well, I did not watch another of their games til 2002, when they finally made it to and won the world series. Still, never really been a big fan of the AL, though I've enjoyed some games in Oakland back in the late 2000s...

Lol, yeah those uniforms were something else. I actually liked them though, it was something different. Another ghost of their National League past. That's really cool that you & your Dad were able to see Nolan Ryan & Mike Scott pitch! To be honest, I forgot they were in the NL Championship game against the Mets. I definitely remember the Red Sox vs. Angels series though. Thats cool you were in attendance at game 5. An incredible game. Losing that series was devastating for the team, its fans, and owner Gene Autry. And, of course, what happened with Donnie Moore less than three years later was even more devastating. He shot his wife three times in front of their three children, and then turned the gun on himself ending his life. Thankfully his wife survived.

I've always liked the A's too. From Reggie to Vida to Rollie to Catfish to Tony LaRussa to Rickey to the "Bash Brothers" to "the Eck" to Dave Stewart to Moneyball, they've always been interesting and cool.

Vida Blue.jpg Rickey.jpg

Vida Blue & Rickey.

The Glory Days, Part 2.jpg

The Glory Days, Part Two.

Lol, yeah those uniforms were something else. I actually liked them though, it was something different. Another ghost of their National League past. That's really cool that you & your Dad were able to see Nolan Ryan & Mike Scott pitch! To be honest, I forgot they were in the NL Championship game against the Mets. I definitely remember the Red Sox vs. Angels series though. Thats cool you were in attendance at game 5. An incredible game. Losing that series was devastating for the team, its fans, and owner Gene Autry. And, of course, what happened with Donnie Moore less than three years later was even more devastating. He shot his wife three times in front of their three children, and then turned the gun on himself ending his life. Thankfully his wife survived.

I've always liked the A's too. From Reggie to Vida to Rollie to Catfish to Tony LaRussa to Rickey to the "Bash Brothers" to "the Eck" to Dave Stewart to Moneyball, they've always been interesting and cool.

View attachment 31539 View attachment 31540

Vida Blue & Rickey.

View attachment 31541

The Glory Days, Part Two.
ZPZO8jIo.jpg

2003 season, a strange one for us, fell short, though Gagné was brilliant, really
the only good thing that happened in it was we picked Matt Kemp in the draft :thumb:
anyways, back to the now, a little while ago, I went "Game Channel" & saw it was extra innings in SF but
Brandon+League+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+Photo+Day+ADcw8IpDqx3l.jpg

this piece of shit was on the mound for us :cool: I knew we would lose the game right then
I really despise this Brandon League fella, no, no, not enough for him to die, I've not wished that on any player for one of my teams
since Donnie Moore went and did it, be careful what you wish for :o
but a career ending injury would be nice, something that the Dodgers insurance would pay for and if not that
well then just give him the millions he does not deserve and send him on his way, I just don't want to hear now pitching for the Dodgers
:gun:Brandon League

I agree with you guys that the old school "Senators" moniker is better. However, I'm willing to bet the owners took one look at the U.S. Senate's approval ratings and nixed the idea. My God, in the last two decades O.J. Simpson has had better approval ratings than the U.S. Senate. The Twins didn't have any part in blocking the Nationals owners from using "Senators" as their nickname. They were free to pick that name if they wanted too. They should've picked the Bloodhounds or the Spiders or the Phantoms or the Night Owls or the Locomotives or the Quicksand or anything interesting. I ripped off the Spiders nickname from Richmond University's sports teams.

Richmond Spiders.png

-sweet logo.

I think the Phantoms were one of the teams in "The Natural (1984.) I haven't seen that film since '84. "Quicksand" is kinda out there, but I like it. How about the Snow Leopards? It snows a lot in D.C.

I agree the Rays need to exit stage left and seek out greener pastures. Maybe Oklahoma City or San Antonio or Portland, Oregon or Memphis or maybe give Montreal another chance to support a squad.

I agree with you guys that the old school "Senators" moniker is better. However, I'm willing to bet the owners took one look at the U.S. Senate's approval ratings and nixed the idea. My God, in the last two decades O.J. Simpson has had better approval ratings than the U.S. Senate. The Twins didn't have any part in blocking the Nationals owners from using "Senators" as their nickname. They were free to pick that name if they wanted too.
oh, now I know, Senate approval ratings, did not think of that :o

oh, now I know, Senate approval ratings, did not think of that :o

Its just a hunch of mine. Lol, it would make sense though. However, I never read anything about this being the case.

Wow, I didn't know Rickey played with the Dodgers. That pic shocked me! Rickey is one of the true characters of the game! He's right up there with the great Yogi Berra. I'm not sure what team he was with at the time, but one time when he was boarding the team bus, he sat up front. Someone blurted out, "Hey Rickey, you got tenure, you can sit in the back of the bus." Rickey got up and said, "Ten year? No man, I got twenty year!" Then Rickey started walking and sat in the very back of the bus. ( Source, "The Jim Rome Show" on Sports radio.)

One of the all-time greats..jpg

Rickey Henderson, one of the all-time greats.

I agree with you guys that the old school "Senators" moniker is better. However, I'm willing to bet the owners took one look at the U.S. Senate's approval ratings and nixed the idea. My God, in the last two decades O.J. Simpson has had better approval ratings than the U.S. Senate. The Twins didn't have any part in blocking the Nationals owners from using "Senators" as their nickname. They were free to pick that name if they wanted too. They should've picked the Bloodhounds or the Spiders or the Phantoms or the Night Owls or the Locomotives or the Quicksand or anything interesting. I ripped off the Spiders nickname from Richmond University's sports teams.

View attachment 31542

-sweet logo.

I think the Phantoms were one of the teams in "The Natural (1984.) I haven't seen that film since '84. "Quicksand" is kinda out there, but I like it. How about the Snow Leopards? It snows a lot in D.C.

I agree the Rays need to exit stage left and seek out greener pastures. Maybe Oklahoma City or San Antonio or Portland, Oregon or Memphis or maybe give Montreal another chance to support a squad.
Spiders are probably the scariest mascot ever.

Thank goodness the Reds are starting to hit . Now if they can just beat the Cubs this weekend and get out of last place .
By the way bring back those colorful Astro uniforms . I Loved them because they were so different than the same old gray look.

I disagree with the analysis that he was "throwing a tantrum", the ball was clearly tossed to him. Good kid to give it up, total spirit of baseball. (I LOVE when the outfield throws opposing homers back on the field. Souvenir sacrifice for solidarity.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom