anyone watch Question Time last night?

G

Grim O'Grady

it was in New York U.S.A. on the panel was Michael Moore, what a star, he held his own besides the rest of the panel being looney right whingers, ok so that Sheik guy might not of been a total whinger.
L.Oaf how about upsetting your mom & dad & taking home a Michael Moore book with you next time you visit a book shop, then they might think you've started to think for yourself, you can blame me if you want when they start their right wing rhetoric at you.
Tell 'em yer ol' English buddy Grim recommended it to you.
Read more U.S. books!
Grim O'Grady

Grim

I saw Question Time and I totally agree with you - Michael Moore put in a great performance & I was heartened to hear the support he had from the New York audience.The media would have us (in England) believe that all Americans are right wing trigger happy psychos who are 100% behind Dubya - the cheers of the New York audience as Moore laid into Bush's "war on terror" and his plans for Armageddon in the Middle East let us know that there is as much opposition in the US as there is here in the UK. Moore's best line was a response to a Republican on the panel who said that the US Government's actions had nothing to do with him - he replied that they had everything to do with him as he was a taxpayer and a voter. I couldn't agree more.

There in nothing disloyal or unpatriotic about questioning the actions of your Government or how taxpayers' money is spent - in fact it is a duty. Michael Moore for President!!!

> it was in New York U.S.A. on the panel was Michael Moore, what a star, he
> held his own besides the rest of the panel being looney right whingers, ok
> so that Sheik guy might not of been a total whinger.
> L.Oaf how about upsetting your mom & dad & taking home a Michael
> Moore book with you next time you visit a book shop, then they might think
> you've started to think for yourself, you can blame me if you want when
> they start their right wing rhetoric at you.
> Tell 'em yer ol' English buddy Grim recommended it to you.
> Read more U.S. books!
> Grim O'Grady

I have browsed Michael Moore's books, and seen some of his films. It's rather sad he had to write a book called "Stupid White Men," but when you're as PC as him the only group you can ever make fun of are white males. He's not a bad guy, but he's fast and loose with facts (Salon.com pointed out the latest round of innacuracies from Moore, and I don't think Salon is known for a right wing bias...), and TO ME his views are about 20 years out of date. Plus, Pauline Kael had it right about "Roger & Me": It's despicable for that film to claim to be a champion for the little guy while at the same time encouraging its champagne liberal audience to look down on and laugh at the working class people of Flint. But yeah, it's not like I ignore the guy. He made some good points on Politically Incorrect over the years. He's better on domestic stuff than foreign. Saying right after 9/11 that there's "no one in a a hut in Afghanistan who is a threat to me" was so stupid it's beyond belief. Apparently he was reading the anti-war playbooks from the Viet Nam War era and forgot this is an entirely different situation.

> Grim

> I saw Question Time and I totally agree with you - Michael Moore put in a
> great performance & I was heartened to hear the support he had from
> the New York audience.The media would have us (in England) believe that
> all Americans are right wing trigger happy psychos who are 100% behind
> Dubya - the cheers of the New York audience as Moore laid into Bush's
> "war on terror" and his plans for Armageddon in the Middle East
> let us know that there is as much opposition in the US as there is here in
> the UK.

There's for sure opposition. One of the congresssmen in my own city, Dennis Kucinich, is hard core against war. (Of course he's also the guy who put Cleveland into bankruptcy in the 1970s as the "Boy Mayor"...). But it's not nearly as much opposition as in the UK. There was near unanimity about Afghanistan, but on Iraq, while the polls say about 69% support action, I think those polls are meaningless. I get the feeling people are generally behind doing something, but support could erode quick if W does something dumb. Which is as it should be. I support attacking Iraq, but it's very conditional.

Back
Top Bottom