What do you think of this place

No1uno

Member of the Month™
Subscriber
I was recently asked in a PM "What do you think of this place", this was my response.

I think there is a lot of potential from anyone that is a Morrissey fan. First off you have to assume they have an incredible connection to their own feelings. I have had deep and vivid visualizations that overlay perfectly onto my emotions while listening to the lyrics of the songs. That is the common ground against all of our diversity.

Because we have that connection with ourselves, I like it when people get real. Morrissey stated his disgust at easy bullies, but no disgust at someone who is real and feels. The recent editions to the what is love thread are what I am talking about. I can respect and accept anyone who says "i feel this way about my life" whether positive or negative, because it is truth for them.

I carry the battle scars of my life. Morrissey fought some of those battle with me. Im older, but what about the younger Morrissey fan who is struggling, does Solo give them light or give them darkness. I guess I am trying to find out and offer a little light while I am here.

end

I was referencing this post and below in the what is love thread http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/130153-What-is-love?p=1986824355&viewfull=1#post1986824355

Honestly, I liked it better when I posted here off and on between 2007-2010. Although there was still much of the same type of "slave trading," I remember reading threads late at night, interacting with others, and laughing until I cried on a regular occasion. Solo was a more vibrant community. Perhaps it was because Morrissey was more active, which led more people to the site. I don't know. There seemed to be more threads about current events and politics (which I enjoyed) and fewer conversations about who was fat and who was old. There was drama and trolling of course, but it was more balanced. It was a larger community, yet still small and "personable."

Maybe, I'm looking at the past through rose colored reading glasses, or maybe my perception was different because I was younger.
All that being said, over the last few months I have enjoyed logging in and catching up every day. I am getting a little bored with the drama - or perhaps I should say the same drama.
Yet for some reason, it's the train wreck that I keep choosing to look at and participate in day after day.

I am very fond of the people that I've come to know, it's just that I prefer the dynamic of the earlier years.

its OK if you ignore a lot of it :o
could it be better?
of course, but "the powers that be" value freedom for those filled with hate :crazy:
above all else :cool: but whatcha gonna do?
it is what it is :straightface:

I got 'into' Morrissey and The Smiths comparatively late at 28. I'd heard years earlier people at University talking about him and heard the occasional track, but I was never one for jumping on bandwagons.

But, of course, some bandwagons exist for a good reason and when I listened to Morrissey's music I was blown away. His music and lyrics speak to me in a way few other artists do, particularly because he effortlessly sums up feelings of rejection and longing that are present in us all at times.

However I went into Moz making sure I wouldn't become absolutely fixated. By that I mean I've no intention of covering my walls with his image or regarding him as some kind of god.

I did get the hair-cut one time, I saw it as a bit of fun and in a sense a right of passage. But I'm not sure I'd ever want to meet Morrissey, were the opportunity to arise.

I find most of the political statements he makes off-stage to be, well let's just say I don't think we'd get along. I don't think he'd want to meet me either!

There's also the old advice of never meeting your 'idols' - if such a meeting were to go horrifically bad, say he was in a bad mood or there was a disagreement, would it ever be possible to listen to his music again without it triggering that memory?

And so as much as I love his music, I try and maintain perspective. He is as flawed us everyone else. But an incredibly gifted man, no doubt about that, and his music enriches my life no end.

Last edited:
I got 'into' Morrissey and The Smiths comparatively late at 28. I'd heard years earlier people at University talking about him and heard the occasional track, but I was never one for jumping on bandwagons.

But, of course, some bandwagons exist for a good reason and when I listened to Morrissey's music I was blown away. His music and lyrics speak to me in a way few other artists do, particularly because he effortlessly sums up feelings of rejection and longing that are present in us all at times.

However I went into Moz making sure I wouldn't become absolutely fixated. By that I mean I've no intention of covering my walls with his image or regarding him as some kind of god.

I did get the hair-cut one time, I saw it as a bit of fun and in a sense a right of passage. But I'm not sure I'd ever want to meet Morrissey, were the opportunity to arise.

I find most of the political statements he makes off-stage to be, well let's just say I don't think we'd get along. I don't think he'd want to meet me either!

There's also the old advice of never meeting your 'idols' - if such a meeting were to go horrifically bad, say he was in a bad mood or there was a disagreement, would it ever be possible to listen to his music again without it triggering that memory?

And so as much as I love his music, I try and maintain perspective. He is as flawed us everyone else. But an incredibly gifted man, no doubt about that, and his music enriches my life no end.

Very well said and I agree with you except for the part of having pictures of him on the walls as I have a very large framed pic of him over my bed.

Oh sounds great Playcat2000 I've got a few posters too. I have a friend with a signed Smiths photo, actually signed not a print.

I refer, rather, to bedrooms filled with absolutely nothing but Morrissey. I saw a video on youtube of a fan's bedroom and it was unbelievable, I looked for it just now but couldn't find it again. Every little object, from alarm clock to bedcover was Moz.

To someone like that I say well no ostensible harm done but maybe take some time out and play Depeche Mode for a wee bit! :)

Oh sounds great Playcat2000 I've got a few posters too. I have a friend with a signed Smiths photo, actually signed not a print.

I refer, rather, to bedrooms filled with absolutely nothing but Morrissey. I saw a video on youtube of a fan's bedroom and it was unbelievable, I looked for it just now but couldn't find it again. Every little object, from alarm clock to bedcover was Moz.

To someone like that I say well no ostensible harm done but maybe take some time out and play Depeche Mode for a wee bit! :)

If they are not a 13 year old girl, I think it is problematic.

I only have one picture of him hanging. I bought it back in 1991 and had I framed. It’s huge. You’ve seen the pic, it’s the one where he is leaning on a post. I recently had it reframed with something more suitable to honor him and put it where my head board used to be so he’s close to me when I’m sleeping. You can laugh now.

Last edited:
Found it lol! Go to youtube and type/paste in: Tutorial: How I Fix My Pompadour part II w/tour of my [old] apartment

That guy needs some other interests I would say ...

Found it lol! Go to youtube and type/paste in: Tutorial: How I Fix My Pompadour part II w/tour of my [old] apartment

That guy needs some other interests I would say ...

Hahahaha. That guy, Abrahan, is a moderator here. Though I have not seen a single post made by him in at least a year and a half.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I thought it was pretty cool.

Too cluttered. I am a minimalist. Clean walls. Less is more. Only reason I have anything on my walls at all is because my mom quilted me some wall hangings last year. Otherwise they would be bare. I believe in the ' be able to pack it all up in an afternoon' mindset. Why? Because I have moved so many times. That is why 80% of my stuff is still in a storage unit.

In the spirit of light hearted fun though I'll post this altho I hate selfies like this with a passion but people were messaging me on Facebook saying so how did your Morrissey haircut turn out? The answer, as you can see, isn't very Morrissey at all, unless it's Maladjusted style on a bad day :)

mozattempt.jpg

In the spirit of light hearted fun though I'll post this altho I hate selfies like this with a passion but people were messaging me on Facebook saying so how did your Morrissey haircut turn out? The answer, as you can see, isn't very Morrissey at all, unless it's Maladjusted style on a bad day :)

View attachment 31344

That is a great pic. Very handsome. Maladjusted style. Funnies. :lbf:

Back
Top Bottom