2014, best albums, post them here

oh, her, thats St. Vincent, a bit too weird for the crowd here perhaps :o
but you can find her on youtube:

oh & if you got 40 minutes:

I don't find it weird at all and love it. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best (in order):

MØ -- No Mythologies To Follow
Trust -- Joyland
Dum Dum Girls -- Too True
Wild Beasts -- Present Tense
Sharon Van Etten -- Are We There
Kyla La Grange -- Cut Your Teeth
Cloud Nothings -- Here And Nowhere Else
Angel Olsen -- Burn Your Fire For No Witness

Biggest disappointments:

Foster the People -- Supermodel
Phantogram -- Voices
Warpaint -- Warpaint

Well I've only bought 2 albums this year and they are Vauxhall And I - Re-issue and Wild Swans 'Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years' Vinyl Deluxe - both of which I already. I recommend them both heartily, yet neither of them are 2014.

As for those mentioned on the thread I have listened to bits of St Vincent but only a few times so I can't comment on that tbh - I will be sure to check out some of the others.

Oh I do have the Young The Giant 2nd LP is that 2014? - only listened to that twice too - not grabbed like I was for their first release, but I've hardly given it chance.

I think it is safe to say, I am out of the loop. :(

So far, of things that have been officially released:

Dum Dum Girls “Too True”
Bob Mould “Beauty & Ruin”
f***ed Up “Glass Boys”
Bane “Don’t Wait Up”
Mastodon “Once More ‘Round The Sun”
Against Me! “Transgender Dysphoria Blues”
The Hold Steady “Teeth Dreams”
Only Crime “Pursuance”

140513-wpinoyb_album.jpg

by far my choice for best of album of 2014 and sure to be one of my faves of Moz's I believe
perfect for being somewhere in the 3rd act of the, hopefully, 5 act play which is my life :thumb:

Since I’ve now heard it in full more than even some of the ones I listed above....I can officially add WPINOYB to the list!

really fred! i know every band on that list and am very surprised to see others here list them especially only crime (ill take another good riddance album any day though). might not agree or count myself a fan of say bane or mastodon but i for sure know them. cant believe you listed bane even with the new singer, blew my mind. that against me album is one of the best ive heard this year or any year really. saw her do a solo acoustic show in dc at the rock and roll hotel and f***mylife666 and two coffins were both played. i love the lyrics for two coffins. surprised more people here didnt respond to that album with all of its real life gender issues. ill post the lyrics to f***mylife just cause theyre that good.

f***mylife666 (a title in dedication to his dead friend pope who would say that phrase all of the time. song is actually about lauras fears that her relationship with her wife and child would be changed with her coming out as transgender. the fear and worry in this song is beautifully articulated and palpable.)

"[Verse 1]
The ease of your pose
The grace of your silhouette
The way that your shoulders meet your slender neck
Where would we be without all the distance?
You know I'm already just a skeleton

[Chorus 1]
I don't have the heart to match
The one pricked into your finger
all things made to be destroyed
All moments meant to pass

[Verse 2]
Don't wanna live without teeth
Don't wanna die without bite
I never wanna say that I regret it
Never wanna say that we grew apart
And never wanna say that the feelings changed

[Chorus 1]

[Verse 3]
Chipped nail polish
And a barbed-wire dress
"Is your mother proud of your eyelashes?"
Silicone chest and collagen lips
How would you even recognize me?

[Chorus 1]

[Chorus 2]
No more troubled sleep
There's a brave new world that's raging inside of me

[Chorus 3]
This too will soon slip out of reach
This too will soon come to an end"

and for good measure the acoustic version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ocem7xAcxg

really fred! i know every band on that list and am very surprised to see others here list them especially only crime (ill take another good riddance album any day though). might not agree or count myself a fan of say bane or mastodon but i for sure know them. cant believe you listed bane even with the new singer, blew my mind. that against me album is one of the best ive heard this year or any year really. saw her do a solo acoustic show in dc at the rock and roll hotel and f***mylife666 and two coffins were both played. i love the lyrics for two coffins. surprised more people here didnt respond to that album with all of its real life gender issues. ill post the lyrics to f***mylife just cause theyre that good.

f***mylife666 (a title in dedication to his dead friend pope who would say that phrase all of the time. song is actually about lauras fears that her relationship with her wife and child would be changed with her coming out as transgender. the fear and worry in this song is beautifully articulated and palpable.)

"[Verse 1]
The ease of your pose
The grace of your silhouette
The way that your shoulders meet your slender neck
Where would we be without all the distance?
You know I'm already just a skeleton

[Chorus 1]

[Verse 2]
Don't wanna live without teeth
Don't wanna die without bite
I never wanna say that I regret it
Never wanna say that we grew apart
And never wanna say that the feelings changed

[Chorus 1]

[Verse 3]
Chipped nail polish
And a barbed-wire dress
"Is your mother proud of your eyelashes?"
Silicone chest and collagen lips
How would you even recognize me?

[Chorus 1]

[Chorus 2]
No more troubled sleep
There's a brave new world that's raging inside of me

[Chorus 3]
This too will soon slip out of reach
This too will soon come to an end"

and for good measure the acoustic version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ocem7xAcxg

Until I heard this new Only Crime I would’ve agreed that I’d rather have a new GR record but now I’m not so sure. It’s definitely the best thing OC ever did.

As for Bane, they’ve always had the same singer :)

cool and i can sorta agree about the new only crime album but my age and having seen gr a few times i think i still lean that way. im not a fan of bane but i do read about them when i see some news on the org or wherever and i thought they had a different line up for this last and final album but im probably just remembering incorrectly. so let me ask you this then, where do you stand on the flag - black flag situation.

cool and i can sorta agree about the new only crime album but my age and having seen gr a few times i think i still lean that way. im not a fan of bane but i do read about them when i see some news on the org or wherever and i thought they had a different line up for this last and final album but im probably just remembering incorrectly. so let me ask you this then, where do you stand on the flag - black flag situation.

Bane def changed bassists and drummers a couple times over the years so it’s understandable!

Black Flag in 2014 is a joke. Flag on the other hand, were great to see live. I saw them in the fall last year and it was awesome.

So far, I'm really enjoying...

- Diploid Love by Brody Dalle
- Stockholm by Chrissie Hynde
- Ultraviolence by Lana del Rey
- World Peace is None of Your Business by Morrissey (obviously enough)

Sorry, I haven't really managed to grasp the greatness of the likes of St. Vincent or Damon Albarn for instance,
in spite of all the critical acclaim, they all sound too abstract, post-postmodern and quite pretentious to me.

Among other releases, I really like the reissue of Nightclubbing by Grace Jones,
as well as the live album Patricia Kaas chante Piaf à l'Olympia.

James - La Petite Mort
Morrissey - World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Courteeners - Concrete Love
By The Sea - Endless Days, Crystal Sky
Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
Interpol - El Pintor

Last edited:
hmm, for me, I was at a party and someone there mentioned Future Islands
then I remembered seeing a thread on the band
so with this coincidence, I decided to check them out and
Futureislands-singlesalbum.jpg

I really like it :) its weird, there is a dissonance between the vocals and music which I find strangely appealing
add to that the interesting lyrics
and well, I expect to be playing a lot more of it :guitar:

Woooow! I fell in love with the music but I need time to understand the vocal part

Back
Top Bottom