NME 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time poll - Smiths / Morrissey entries

Re: NME 500 Greatest Songs of all time poll - How Soon Is Now? is voted No.4

4: 'How Soon Is Now?', The Smiths
3: 'I Feel Love', Donna Summer
2: 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', Joy Division
1: 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', Nirvana

- well, it would not be my top 4 :rolleyes:
however, I can see how each of these songs was very influential in their own way and I do love 3 of the 4, can you guess which 3? ;)
as for their 5th choice:
'Last Nite', The Strokes
-thats not even The Stroke's best song :cool:

was just looking at my top 500 tunes played according to "last fm" and noticed my list is about 15 percent not songs sung in English;
Japanese is heavily represented, followed by German, French, Russian, Swedish, even Spanish & I am sure some Chinese songs have not made the list because I have only been here 9 months, while "last fm" has tracked my music listening for 7 & a half years
I am guessing that NME's list will be 500 songs all in English and for me, that is just a weird way of thinking of music. :crazy:
Undoubtedly a very British and North American way of thinking though :eek:
one I am thankful to not have anymore :o still, I suppose I''ll give the full list a look when someone supplies a link :thumb:

Last edited:

was just looking at my top 500 tunes played according to "last fm" and noticed my list is about 15 percent not songs sung in English;
Japanese is heavily represented, followed by German, French, Russian, Swedish, even Spanish & I am sure some Chinese songs have not made the list because I have only been here 9 months, while "last fm" has tracked my music listening for 7 & a half years
I am guessing that NME's list will be 500 songs all in English and for me, that is just a weird way of thinking of music. :crazy:
Undoubtedly a very British and North American way of thinking though :eek:
one I am thankful to not have anymore :o still, I suppose I''ll give the full list a look when someone supplies a link :thumb:

Yes, it's a major shortcoming of these best albums/best song/whatever lists that you have to ask: where is Gilberto Gil/Jacques Dutonc/Las Ketchup? And there's no good answer, really.

But, then again, Les Inrockuptibles did an albums list not long ago (TQID at number 2, BTW) and there were no French albums in the top 30, so it's maybe not just an Anglo-Saxon way of thinking.

I still think that Morrissey read 'Eating People is wrong' by Malcom Bradbury.:
Chapter 5 (2) (Bates to Fielding): "Look, I'm a human being, you know," said Louis. "I need love like everyone else......"......."Why am I the one who goes unloved?"

It's a very good theme on which to compose a song.

"How Soon Is Now?" is voted #4

Well, at least one of the Smiths songs is in top 5.

Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' tops NME's list of 500 greatest songs of all time - NME.com
The greatest songs of all time revealed in new issue of NME

"Suedehead" is #487

Also posted by Thewlis:

"The Boy With the Thorn in his Side" is at #388
"Bigmouth Strikes Again" is at #283

UPDATE Feb. 4:

Links and corrected numbering from Kewpie and Thewlis:

"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" is at #12
"This Charming Man" is at #64
"Everyday Is Like Sunday" is at #85

Last edited by a moderator:

I still think that Morrissey read 'Eating People is wrong' by Malcom Bradbury.:
Chapter 5 (2) (Bates to Fielding): "Look, I'm a human being, you know," said Louis. "I need love like everyone else......"......."Why am I the one who goes unloved?"

It's a very good theme on which to compose a song.

Good spot.

Fantastic! :)

The whole subject is so boring !
Greatest songs of all time ? Really ?
Has it really come to this level now ?
Can someone please tell me something really important like what number Morrissey's autobiography is in the book charts this week.
And hurry up its really important I get to know this info so I can update my sales to date graph of the penguin classic.

Benny-the-Butcher

Nice to see 'How Soon Is Now' ranked so high . I hope the people crying about the placings on NME's websight will at least give The Smiths a listen . May-be become new fans and Moz converts?

Nice to see 'How Soon Is Now' ranked so high . I hope the people crying about the placings on NME's websight will at least give The Smiths a listen . May-be become new fans and Moz converts?

Why would people convert to becoming a fan of a bitter dried up twisted nasty obsessed singer/songwriter with a cabaret show backing band going through the motions ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom