Art inspired by Smiths or Morrissey songs?

BigNose

Hi everyone,

I just read a book called Pretty Girls Make Graves by John Yorvik.

Got me thinking, is there any other art or lit inspired by his songs.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hi everyone,

I just read a book called Pretty Girls Make Graves by John Yorvik.

Got me thinking, is there any other art or lit inspired by his songs.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Absolutely hundreds. The More You Ignore Me by Jo Brand, Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend In A Coma and The Dwarves Of Death by Jonathan Coe spring to mind. There's hundreds more.

P.

Absolutely hundreds. The More You Ignore Me by Jo Brand, Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend In A Coma and The Dwarves Of Death by Jonathan Coe spring to mind. There's hundreds more.

P.

Ah yes, I forgot about Girlfriend in a Coma. Brilliant flight of imagination.

Will check out Jo Brand's book if you recommend it. Haven't read any Coe for years. Last one was What a Carve Up!

Ah yes, I forgot about Girlfriend in a Coma. Brilliant flight of imagination.

Will check out Jo Brand's book if you recommend it. Haven't read any Coe for years. Last one was What a Carve Up!

I think What A Carve Up insipried Radiohead's "Fitter, Happier" - "A pig, in a cage, on antibiotics".

P.

If you like funny books at all:
Please try and read 'The Wrong Boy' by Willy Russell.
It was the playwright's first novel and was well received.
Lifted from Amazon:
"Teenager Raymond Marks has not had a charmed life. His profligate, instrument-loving father made an early exit, leaving him with a struggling mother and doting Sartre-fan grandmother. Fifteen minutes of potential glory when he saved a boy from drowning are cruelly compromised when it's discovered that the boys were near the canal indulging in what they called "flytrapping", and Raymond becomes "the precocious pervert, the evil influence, the filthy little beast". Eventually packed off to "Gulag Grimsby" at the suggestion of his despised Uncle Jason, Raymond pours out his life's woes in a series of missives to his idol, one-time Smiths' star Morrissey.Writing his letters with improbable speed, Raymond is ingratiating, unstoppable and superbly miserable, as befits a Morrissey devotee--and lucky enough to be surrounded by a bevy of gift-wrapped Northern character parts. Russell's genius is to take situations and characters that are firmly placed in the banally familiar--and then push them to their comic limits. In*The Wrong Boy*those limits are tested to the full. --Alan Stewart"
As U.S. says above, there are hundreds, but this is a good example of a very Moz-influenced writer using The Smiths and Morrissey to very good effect.
Kind regards,
FWD

Just scanned my bookcase and also found:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now: My Difficult Student 80's by Andrew Collins (broadcaster/writer).
Good observations on '80s growing up. Humorous and a big Smiths fan.
Cheers,
FWD

Just scanned my bookcase and also found:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now: My Difficult Student 80's by Andrew Collins (broadcaster/writer).
Good observations on '80s growing up. Humorous and a big Smiths fan.
Cheers,
FWD

I guess there was also Sean Hughes with Sean's Show, which owed a lot to Morrissey.

Found this, Unite and Take Over, graphic novels based on Smiths songs. Anybody bought it? Reviewed it?
http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/58435

I guess there was also Sean Hughes with Sean's Show, which owed a lot to Morrissey.

Found this, Unite and Take Over, graphic novels based on Smiths songs. Anybody bought it? Reviewed it?
http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/58435
Shaun's Show was great. Thanks for jogging the memory.
Luckily the whole first series is on 4OD here in the UK.
Just looked on youtube & some of the second series is there also.
Will be revisiting those tomorrow.
Cheers,
FWD

Back
Top Bottom