Morrissey's "Autobiography" reviewed by Gwendoline Riley in the Times Lit Supplement

Morrissey, this elusive man - The Times Literary Supplement
by Gwendoline Riley

Excerpt:

Autobiography is a rich and substantial work, the figure emerging at its centre both compelling and complex. Those who know his music will be unsurprised by the qualities of Morrissey’s prose, which is ornate, windswept, elusive yet never tricksy, and full of unexpected twists and thrusts. He writes with understanding (albeit often with a tout comprendre c’est rien pardonner caveat) and is most of all straightforwardly moving; never more so here than when writing about his childhood.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
could not agree more.
although those who "know his music" will doubtless fill this page with snidey diatribes to the contrary.

could not agree more.
although those who "know his music" will doubtless fill this page with snidey diatribes to the contrary.

nice to read a review that is objective, some of them are so biased. i really hate the ones that say the book is lousy when it discusses 60's tv shows. after reading the first couple of pages, how could it not be apparent that TV was morrissey's window to the world, the only way he could see beyond the edge of his circumstances. i find it amazing he has the capacity to realize what an impact it had on him. i'm only one month younger than morrissey, and grew up in the US. my own circumstances growing up were just a bit better than morrissey's, and i only wish i had paid TV more attention, with more understanding of the world and its opportunities. i didnt, and grew up boxed in by my lack of knowing that people could do fantastic things. i've done all right , but have been playing catch up my whole life. Good for morrissey to somehow believe in himself and become the person he is today. i love him for it.

nice to read a review that is objective, some of them are so biased. i really hate the ones that say the book is lousy when it discusses 60's tv shows. after reading the first couple of pages, how could it not be apparent that TV was morrissey's window to the world, the only way he could see beyond the edge of his circumstances. i find it amazing he has the capacity to realize what an impact it had on him. i'm only one month younger than morrissey, and grew up in the US. my own circumstances growing up were just a bit better than morrissey's, and i only wish i had paid TV more attention, with more understanding of the world and its opportunities. i didnt, and grew up boxed in by my lack of knowing that people could do fantastic things. i've done all right , but have been playing catch up my whole life. Good for morrissey to somehow believe in himself and become the person he is today. i love him for it.

Age-wise I am very similar but I grew up in the suburbs of London. Not that far from Manchester but world away all the same. However the TV was the common across the UK and I can remember almost all of the TV programmes and records he references in the book. Like you I admire the fact he saw the significance of all this going on around him and more importantly, his place within it.

So, Morrissey's prose is praised in the Times Literary Supplement of all places: "Those who know his music will be unsurprised by the qualities of Morrissey’s prose, which is ornate, windswept, elusive yet never tricksy, and full of unexpected twists and thrusts." A very nice, considered, sane review.

It's nice to read a measured review from someone who seems to have taken the time to read the book, as opposed to flicking to the bits they would prefer to write about. The only thing in the review that I wouldn't agree with is referring to anything within as 'unexpected' - for anyone who's followed Morrissey for some time would agree, I don't think there is anything unexpected in the book whatsoever. Compared to the deluge of famous musician's memoirs, the prose definitely is streets ahead if only for it being a lot more interesting and I'm glad someone's had the knackers to say so.

It's nice to read a measured review from someone who seems to have taken the time to read the book, as opposed to flicking to the bits they would prefer to write about. The only thing in the review that I wouldn't agree with is referring to anything within as 'unexpected' - for anyone who's followed Morrissey for some time would agree, I don't think there is anything unexpected in the book whatsoever. Compared to the deluge of famous musician's memoirs, the prose definitely is streets ahead if only for it being a lot more interesting and I'm glad someone's had the knackers to say so.

Gwendoline Riley is a huge Morrissey fan. She even lets her main character enthuse about him for a page and a half (saying smart things too) in her last novel.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom