NBA thread

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
lakers_championship_banner_zpscab4661e.jpg

just so there are no doubts where my lifelong alliegances are :guitar:
what about you?
I mean basketball is my 2nd fave sport, but still, your sports teams are a way to connect with "home"
when one lives so very far away...

Last edited:
this just in
los-angeles-clippers-v-los-20131030-040950-149_zps5acd8175.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lakers-reserves-stun-clippers-116-052251173--nba.html
a 13 point win over the Clips and without Kobe is a nice way to start the season :thumb:
especially given all the trash talking the "championshipLESS" Clips did all summer :cool:
don't get me wrong, the season will be a rough one and I don't see the Lakers winning it all this year
but they always give it their all, no matter what the odds, honestly, in my memory is not just all the glory of the championships I've watched(& attended)
but how they fight when they are not at their best, like the year Magic went down with HIV and they beat the Clips in the last game of the season to make the playoffs
this year could be a like that

Last edited:
Great thread! Basketball is my favorite sport! My favorite team is the Washington Wizards! It used to be the Denver Nuggets but about five years ago I switched to the Wizards. Lame, I know. I just got bored with the Nuggets. I've never switched allegiances with my favorite NFL & MLB teams. Ever since I was a kid I've loved the Detroit Lions & the Toronto Blue Jays. None of these squads are close to Idaho. Well, the Nuggets were'nt too far. I can't explain it. I've just loved the Lions & Blue Jays since I was a kid. Idaho doesnt have any pro teams anyway.

So now my NBA team is the Wizards....

Wizards.jpg

I think we're going to the playoffs. John Wall is the most underrated point guard in the game. Bradley Beal is a rock solid 2 guard. We just drafted Otto Porter, Jr., from Georgetown, to play the 3. It's awesome Otto is going to play pro ball in the same city he went to college. Nene' is a great power forward when healthy. He's getting back to full strength and ready to execute some 17 foot pick-n-pops with John Wall. Plus we just traded for strongman Martin Gordat to man the post. He'll get you 13.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.5bpg, and even surprise with some mid-range pick-n-pops of his own. Yeah the bench is shakier than Englebert Humperdinck stranded in a dry county. I think they still have some dry counties in Mississippi, and of course Utah. They'll be okay. Go Wizards!

The Wizards may not be drinking championship champagne at the end of the season, but I think they'll represent.

Wizards #2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome Justin, but I am old and they are still to me :o the
WashBullets90s.gif

which included 3 players I loved:
Muggsy Bogues, Manute Bole &
241911_display_image.jpg

Bernard King
I post that pic in particular cuz there was a year when he almost single handedly beat us*, denying us the best record in the NBA
and we fell to the Celtics in the finals
so yeah, out of the East, go Bul, err, Wizards!

*=when I say "us" I mean Lakers, for if you scratch my skin, you will find Laker "purple & gold" underneath :o

awesome Justin, but I am old and they are still to me :o the
WashBullets90s.gif

which included 3 players I loved:
Muggsy Bogues, Manute Bole &
241911_display_image.jpg

Bernard King
I post that pic in particular cuz there was a year when he almost single handedly beat us*, denying us the best record in the NBA
and we fell to the Celtics in the finals
so yeah, out of the East, go Bul, err, Wizards!

*=when I say "us" I mean Lakers, for if you scratch my skin, you will find Laker "purple & gold" underneath :o

Yes, I remember the Bullets! It was really cool when Muggsy & Manute played together. The tallest guy in the NBA and the shortest guy in the NBA.:cool: Actually, I think he was the shortest guy in NBA history! It's a shame Manute died so young. And I remember Bernard King! I liked him a whole lot better than today's "King." I'm just not a fan of "King" James. Hopefully someone knocks the crown off his head this year. In the East I think the Bulls, Brooklyn Nets, and Pacers can beat the Heat in the playoffs. In the West I think the Thunder, Warriors ( can't believe I just wrote that,) Clippers ( they have work to do though,) & your Lakers can do it! If Kobe, Pau (sp?), & Steve Nash can all stay healthy I think they can do some serious damage. And I think Nick Young can be a nice addition. He's got some game. My Uncle is a huge Lakers fan too. Lol, I like your description about scratching your skin and finding Laker purple & gold underneath. I'm sure my Uncle feels the same way.:D

Just my two cents, but I'm not buying into the Knicks and Grizzlies at all this year. However, if Amare can get healthy the Knicks could make some noise. I like the addition of Metta World Peace! However, I'm just not buying into Carmelo & especially J.R. Smith. With ballhogs like that championships simply are not won. These guys are not George Mikan, Michael Jordan, or Kobe Bryant. Those guys are "ballhogs" who have flat out delivered. Carmelo doesn't hold a candle to these gentlemen. Heck, I'd take Dominique Wilkins over him. Carmelo is the number one reason I abandoned the Nuggets. I just got tired of him. I think he's a good human being but I'm just not fond of his game. As for J.R. Smith, he couldn't hold a candle to Byron Scott. I'd take Byron Scott in a minute over his overrated ass. Also, Kobe has become a better passer for sure! Jordan did as well, later in his career. And of course Jordan played his last couple of years with the Wiz.:)

*-(added writing)- I use the term "pick-n-pop" way too much in the writing underneath this. Two weeks ago I heard an interview with Jalen Rose on sports radio, and he said, "the most important play in today's NBA is the 17 foot pick-n-pop." Basically the "pick-n-roll" Stockton & Malone used so successfully in all those years with the Jazz.

-The Spurs had a great run last year ,but they are a year older. I just don't see it. *-(added writing)- They can't be ruled out. I dismissed them too easily. However, I have a lot of doubts that the league's oldest team can make one more run.

-The Celtics are a total disaster. They're putting their entire organization into the hands of Rondo & Jeff Green. What the f***?

-The Griz were awesome last year but they lost a great coach in Lionel Hollins. Heck, they may not even make the playoffs.

-The Nuggets fired George Karl and let Andre Igwuodola (sp?) skate away in free agency. Totally ridiculous. I don't see them in the mix.

-I like the Pistons! A lot! I think they have the biggest front line in the history of organized hoops. Good Lord! When Josh Smith is playing the 3 you know there is some serious timber in Motown. Smith at the 3, the underrated Greg Monroe at the 4, and Andre "Baby Face" Drummond in the post.... as my Grandma would say, "Heavenly Days McGee!" Plus they just traded for the Bucks point guard, whose name escapes me at the moment. All I know is dude can play. I can see the Pistons getting the 7 or 8 spot in the East and maybe pulling a first round TKO.

-I'm loving me some Cavaliers. Kyrie Irving is hitting "j's" on a dime and dishing and dashing all over the damn court. Plus they got the #1 pick in the draft, Mr. Anthony Bennett from UNLV. If Irving & Bennett can chrystalize a 17 foot pick-n-pop then stop the presses! It'll be Stockton & Malone all over again. They have a long way to go of course ,but they definitely have the raw tools to accomplish this goal. Can "Big Man" Bynum stay healthy? That is indeed, the zillion dollar question. I know you're very familiar with the big fella from his years with the Lakers, Robby. If "Big Man" Bynum can stay healthy all season and Irving & Bennett pull a 17 foot pick-n-pop magic act, then the Cavs have a shot at the playoffs.

*-(added writing)- I forgot the Houston Rockets. They are probably alot of people's favorites to represent the West in the NBA Championships. I still would pick the Thunder ( a healthy Thunder team) & the Warriors( incredibly talented & deep team that plays with passion plus) before I'd pick the Rockets to represent the West. That's just my opinion. I feel Dwight Howard really did the Lakers wrong. What's your opinion, Robby? I feel what he did was much worse than what LeBron did to the Cavs. LeBron's problem was his total mishandling of the transition. Anyway, the Rockets are gonna be a serious contender. With Dwight Howard, James Harden (great player,) Jeremy Lin, and the terrific outside shooter, whose name escapes me, they are loaded with talent. I like Harden and Lin a lot but I won't be rooting for them. I believe with Dwight Howard joining them they are now the "villains" of the West. I wouldn't be surprised if they were showered with "Boo's" in every arena they travel to this season. Especially in Orlando & L.A. Two teams that most folks feel D Howard screwed over.

*-(added writing)- I probably forgot another contender or two. Sorry for the long winded post.

-I'm jazzed the season is here! These are just some observations of mine. Who do you think is gonna contend for the title, Robby?

out of the East, I am hoping the Bulls can deny the Heat another chance to go to the "Finals"
as for the West, harder to say, I know the Rockets are overrated, at some point Dwight Howard will self destruct, always has, always will
and the Clippers will choke as well too, always have, always will, may make it to the Finals though, with 0 chance of winning it, in that case let's hope its against the Bulls
the teams from the West who I think have a real shot are indeed OKC & Golden State
at this point, its too early to call a winner of it all :confused:

ps: I really don't have anything the Clips as a team, and maybe when their scumbag racist owner:
donald-sterling-bizarre-accusations-scott-sterling-death.jpg

Donald Sterling finally dies :thumb: then and only then would it be OK for them to win it all, until then I hope they don't :o

Last edited:
out of the East, I am hoping the Bulls can deny the Heat another chance to go to the "Finals"
as for the West, harder to say, I know the Rockets are overrated, at some point Dwight Howard will self destruct, always has, always will
and the Clippers will choke as well too, always have, always will, may make it to the Finals though, with 0 chance of winning it, in that case let's hope its against the Bulls
the teams from the West who I think have a real shot are indeed OKC & Golden State
at this point, its too early to call a winner of it all :confused:

ps: I really don't have anything the Clips as a team, and maybe when their scumbag racist owner:
donald-sterling-bizarre-accusations-scott-sterling-death.jpg

Donald Sterling finally dies :thumb: then and only then would it be OK for them to win it all, until then I hope they don't :o

I agree, Donald Sterling is terrible. It is hard to root for them because he owns the team. I also think the team name "Clippers" is pretty lame. It's short for "clipper" ships. The name just doesn't have any pizzazz. The franchise originally started out in Buffalo, New York and their team name was the "Braves." (Former L.A. Laker Bob McAdoo won the NBA MVP award while playing for Buffalo in 1975.) When the Braves new owner moved the franchise to San Diego he changed the team name to the "Clippers." A few years later they moved to L.A. and kept the Clippers name. I wish the team would change it's name to something more interesting. Something like the Tarantulas, the Bloodhounds, something, anything more interesting.

Bob McAdoo.jpg

Bob McAdoo

I agree, Donald Sterling is terrible. It is hard to root for them because he owns the team. I also think the team name "Clippers" is pretty lame. It's short for "clipper" ships. The name just doesn't have any pizzazz. The franchise originally started out in Buffalo, New York and their team name was the "Braves." (Former L.A. Laker Bob McAdoo won the NBA MVP award while playing for Buffalo in 1975.) When the Braves new owner moved the franchise to San Diego he changed the team name to the "Clippers." A few years later they moved to L.A. and kept the Clippers name. I wish the team would change it's name to something more interesting. Something like the Tarantulas, the Bloodhounds, something, anything more interesting.

View attachment 16518

Bob McAdoo
yeah, McAdoo, was great, my dad really liked his game
as to the Clips name, how about doing a "re-branding" something like:
image.w174h200f3.jpg

:lbf:

also, I see my Lakers are 2 & 2 now, if they can hover at .500 til Kobe's is back that would be great :)

yeah, McAdoo, was great, my dad really liked his game
as to the Clips name, how about doing a "re-branding" something like:
image.w174h200f3.jpg

:lbf:

also, I see my Lakers are 2 & 2 now, if they can hover at .500 til Kobe's is back that would be great :)

:thumb:I remember the L.A. Express. The good old USFL. And of course there was the.....

Bandits.png

Tampa Bay Bandits

Not to mention their famous minority owner....

Burt Reynolds.jpg

-Bandits would be a cool name for an NBA team. Anyway, I'm way off topic as usual.

That's cool your Dad liked McAdoo's game. I was too young to remember him in his heyday. I do remember his later years,coming off the Laker's bench and being a valuable contributor.

Clippers are fast, perhaps the first adrenaline rush was sailing on a Clipper. :thumb: (Unrelated to basketball but fast things the nhra finals are this weekend if anyone wants to feel a dragon rattle their fillings. :cool:)

Clippers are fast, perhaps the first adrenaline rush was sailing on a Clipper. :thumb: (Unrelated to basketball but fast things the nhra finals are this weekend if anyone wants to feel a dragon rattle their fillings. :cool:)

Thats true, I never thought of that:). I'd probably be shaking in my shoes and holding on for dear life if I ever sailed on one. It's funny, but sometimes I think of "Hairdresser on Fire" when I think of the Clippers.

"Really busy

Busy Clippers

Oh, Hairdresser on Fire

All around Sloane Square"

"Hairdresser on Fire" by Morrissey

-Honestly, I still think Tarantulas would be a better nickname though.

Steve Blake tossed a 3 pointer that won the game by one tonight. My friend is calling them the Blakers now. :p

Steve Blake tossed a 3 pointer that won the game by one tonight. My friend is calling them the Blakers now. :p

Glad the Lakers beat D Howard. Rockets came back to take the lead ,but then D Howard missed his "throws." Same ol' "Superman." Then Blake came down and stuck the dagger. I'm not a Lakers fan, but glad they won.

My Wizards are 2-5. It's okay, its early in the season:).

Nene' & OKC's Russell Westbrook got in a minor pushing & shoving match, and both were ejected from a game played a couple of nights ago. I was surprised they got ejected because the altercation wasn't that bad. Here's the incident.....

-In the NBA, of the 80's & 90's, they never would've got ejected for such a minor incident.

Wizards represent.

Wizards representing..jpg

The Wizards visited patients at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

"Hello, Goodbye, you know you made us cry"

"Shame" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-The shame of an entire nation. Wizards nation that is.

On Wednesday night Wizards strongman, Marcin Gortat, tried to execute a "Dream Shake" against Spurs legend Tim "The Big Fundamental" Duncan. He failed. Miserably.

The "Dream Shake" was the signature move of Rockets legend Hakeem Olajuwon. The following is a brief video, from ShotMechanics.com, illustrating how the "Dream Shake" is supposed to be properly executed. Enjoy.

Hakeem.jpg

Hakeem Olajuwon

-The Wizards are 2-6 to start the season. Even worse is the shameful "Dream Shake" fail, perpetrated by strongman Marcin Gortat on Wednesday night. That was about as bad as 10 losses. It will live in YouTube infamy for a long time. I still have faith in my Wizards. Go Wiz.

What I did at work last night= I did my 8 and hit the gate.

What Brooklyn Nets' 2 guard Joe Johnson did at work last night= he ran the length of the court & sank the short floater for the game-winning bucket. "Brooklyn Ice" just did it again!

In the last couple of seasons, Joe "Brooklyn Ice" Johnson, has been one of the biggest clutch performers in the Association. I remember the lightning he unleashed against the Bucks last season. First, he stuck the fade-away to send the game into Overtime. Then "Ice" stuck the dagger, at the buzzer, to win the game!

"Drama" by Ice-T

- A couple of nights ago, there was drama in the Association........

Thunder's Serge Ibaka vs. Clippers' Matt "the Electric Eel" Barnes.

Drama..png

It was a "call to arms."

It was a night where two of the league's toughest enforcers squared up, and did battle. It was a night of drama.

Thunder's Serge Ibaka vs. Clippers' Matt "the Electric Eel" Barnes.

View attachment 16611

It was a "call to arms."

It was a night where two of the league's toughest enforcers squared up, and did battle. It was a night of drama.

I went to UCLA, and as such I follow many former Bruins in their journey through the NBA :)
glad to see Matt stay in L.A. but wish he had remained a Laker :cool:
speaking of which, the "Lake Show" is 5-7 :straightface:
with Nash it would likely be at least 7-5, but no use crying over spilt milk :o
the good news is that Kobe is back practicing, hope we see him playing by December :guitar:

True Greatness! Chic..jpg

"Everybody Dance" by Chic

-One of their many masterpieces.

Detroit Pistons/ Dance Cam: November 19th.

This is the Detroit Pistons dance cam like you've never seen it before......

- At the 26 second point a great dance battle begins.

Back
Top Bottom