The Doctor Who Thread

D

DAVIE

tumblr_static_flying_tardis_gif.gif

Okay here it is...The Doctor Who Thread!

And to kick start this thread. It's a pleasure to ANNOUNCE that "Enemy Of The World" and "The Web Of Fear" (both Patrick Troughton stories) have been found and will be on itunes in the next couple of weeks and will also be on DVD next year for those who don't have itunes! Also another announcement that Tenth Planet (cybermen debut/1st Doctor's swansong) is out Monday and it should be delivered at mine tomorrow or Saturday latest, so I might put a review on here!

You can now buy Enemy Of The World and Web Of Fear (episode 3 is a photo recon...dvd released in february rumoured to have animation bridge) on itunes now! http://itunes.com/doctorwho

Here's a few snippets!

Last edited by a moderator:
tenth-planet-dvd.jpg

This came through the post today and I must say this is the best DVD that has been released through the range. The restoration job is wonderful and they did their best with the audio since it's 1966 mono! I also enjoyed the animated episode immensely, since episode 4 is thought to be destroyed. The animation team have improved (since Reign Of Terror) and the actual animated sets were gorgeous. This DVD included a complete rarity...A Hartnell interview. It's one of those bits of footage that you cannot believe your watching, it was only recovered this year in a British local library! I didn't think Hartnell came across as horrid or stern as some people has made him out to be. A particular companion, Anneke Wills (Polly) is interviewed throughout this DVD and it comes across quite clearly that she really didn't seem to 'gel' with Hartnell off and on set. I think she must have been negative at least 3 times on the DVD about him. She also deems Hartnell a racist. Something I'm sure not many people can comment on since they aren't around any more. The black actor who appear in Tenth Planet (Earl Cameron, who played a black astronaut) said that he never noticed having any prejudice from the fellow actor. Through the interview we learn that Hartnell was doing Panto after Who and I found it a bit sad to see this great actor fall from grace to panto in such a short space of time, it's written across his face that he's saddened and slightly disgraced...After all he is the original Doctor. Other extras included Blue Peter footage, which has been on several other Doctor Who DVDs and a documentary on 3 male companions (Steven, Jamie, Turlough) and how they were perceived by the public during and after Doctor Who. Frozen Out, which is a documentary about the story although many actors are no longer with us, so not many people contributed. Photographs from the story and a Episode 4 Recon for the fans who aren't a fan of the animations (which baffles me). Overall a superb DVD :)

tenth-planet-dvd.jpg

This came through the post today and I must say this is the best DVD that has been released through the range. The restoration job is wonderful and they did their best with the audio since it's 1966 mono! I also enjoyed the animated episode immensely, since episode 4 is thought to be destroyed. The animation team have improved (since Reign Of Terror) and the actual animated sets were gorgeous. This DVD included a complete rarity...A Hartnell interview. It's one of those bits of footage that you cannot believe your watching, it was only recovered this year in a British local library! I didn't think Hartnell came across as horrid or stern as some people has made him out to be. A particular companion, Anneke Wills (Polly) is interviewed throughout this DVD and it comes across quite clearly that she really didn't seem to 'gel' with Hartnell off and on set. I think she must have been negative at least 3 times on the DVD about him. She also deems Hartnell a racist. Something I'm sure not many people can comment on since they aren't around any more. The black actor who appear in Tenth Planet (Earl Cameron, who played a black astronaut) said that he never noticed having any prejudice from the fellow actor. Through the interview we learn that Hartnell was doing Panto after Who and I found it a bit sad to see this great actor fall from grace to panto in such a short space of time, it's written across his face that he's saddened and slightly disgraced...After all he is the original Doctor. Other extras included Blue Peter footage, which has been on several other Doctor Who DVDs and a documentary on 3 male companions (Steven, Jamie, Turlough) and how they were perceived by the public during and after Doctor Who. Frozen Out, which is a documentary about the story although many actors are no longer with us, so not many people contributed. Photographs from the story and a Episode 4 Recon for the fans who aren't a fan of the animations (which baffles me). Overall a superb DVD :)

tumblr_inline_mtxfhhI4fP1ru5382.gif

The Watch channel (Sky 109) are running a series on Saturday which revisits each Doctor. Pertwee today, then has a complete adventure of each. It's the third Doctor's Spearhead From Space today. Starts at 2pm, and there's a +1 somewhere too, I think.

Rose and The Doctor are separated forever.

An Adventure is Space And Time looks amazing Cornelius! Those photos are stunning :)

Listening to Patrick Troughton's biography, which was written by his own son Michael Troughton (who has also played his Pat's Doctor through radio, weirdly enough) and I must say it's very good so far. Patrick became lieutenant in the navy and escaped a sinking ship and got many medals through his short lived career. He managed to get into the acting business by pure talent (which is unheard of in our current climate!) and by starring in television programmes as it began to get popular in the 1930s. I haven't got onto his career in Doctor Who yet, as his life is full of stories, but I'm sure I will by tonight. You can buy the audiobook or book from amazon, it's full title is "Patrick Troughton: The Biography of the Second Doctor Who".

I'm also getting William Hartnell's biography (Who's There: The Life and Career of William Hartnell) for Christmas, which has been written by his real granddaughter (no, not Susan :D) and it's being sold at cheapest for around £11. If anyone is interested in buying it, then I'll of cause be happy to give you the details.

What did people think of the trailer? It's not really much of a trailer about the episode...In fact, it tells us absolutely nothing about the episode, but I LOVED the trailer. Hartnell in colour. Tom falling with the sweets falling out his pockets, how romantic. Did anyone else enjoy it? :)

Rose and The Doctor are separated forever.

tumblr_mn0n4hmifs1qh63x0o6_250.gif

What did people think of the trailer? It's not really much of a trailer about the episode...In fact, it tells us absolutely nothing about the episode, but I LOVED the trailer. Hartnell in colour. Tom falling with the sweets falling out his pockets, how romantic. Did anyone else enjoy it? :)

but on the Day of the Doctor.............????

tumblr_mn446c5FI11rb7qpio1_250.gif

Who would be your fave Doc? Mine is Tom Baker, followed by Hartnell. That is all.

This show took a huge shit on itself as soon as Moffat took over.
Oh dear. No no and no.
Moffat was always one of the best writers on the show.
Russell T Davies should take the credit for saving the frachise but his stories were always a little twee.
Moffat is pushing the whole thing to the next stage.

Oh dear. No no and no.
Moffat was always one of the best writers on the show.
Russell T Davies should take the credit for saving the frachise but his stories were always a little twee.
Moffat is pushing the whole thing to the next stage.
I agree completely, full disclosure here though, recently my mother informed me that Steven Moffat is a distant relative of ours :eek::D

Who would be your fave Doc? Mine is Tom Baker, followed by Hartnell. That is all.

Pretty much the same here actually. Followed by Troughton, Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy.

I'm not having John Hurt as the Doctor, he doesn't exist in my head....laaa la laa la laa laa :head-smack:

Back
Top Bottom