The Doctor Who Thread

I was a little unsure at first, but it's grown on me overnight. There's something of the stylish bovver boy about it. I like the Pertwee-isms and the DMs (shoes or boots?) are a great touch. Just not too sure about the buttoned-up shirt. Mind you, that look works for David Lynch so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

EDIT: Capaldi's on location right now in costume... with Ben Wheatley directing. Exciting!

They aren't Docs as I thought, but Loakes 860 smooth brogues, apparently. A higher definition picture shows more detail.

he does know he's The Doctor, and not Doctor Strange, I hope?

tumblr_mdfyrvZMUA1rkhvfdo1_r2_250.gif

web-of-fear-dvd.jpg

I got this in the post today and I've just finished watching it. So what do I think?

I don't think it actually succeeds the hype it made. In fact I was quite disappointed after I watched the story. It's no way as good as "Tomb" and "The Moonbase", but it doesn't beat "The Krotons" or "The Ice Warriors" either. It just drags too long and it feels like it should have been a 3/4 parter, but instead it's 6! The Yeti themselves are a bit of a stupid villian for The Doctor and there's a reason they haven't been brought back...they are slow and they look absolutely stupid! However, the fight scenes in the London underground were the only times where the Yeti looked great with their glow in the dark eyes, but nothing else seemed to capture my attention. Colonel Lethbridge Stewart makes his debut and his first fight scene is great also. But you can't help but think that military soldiers could just outrun them (I know I flipping could!). Luckily Lethbridge Stewart gets a better story in "The Invasion". Troughton seems a bit tired with the script because it just doesn't feel like a Troughton story and again it's overdrawn. It lacks a lot of the humour and the companionship between The Doctor and Jamie and even poor old Victoria is kept on the back burner! Lastly, I absolutely hate the idea of the intelligence!! What's the bloody point in having an invisible enemy you can't defeat? Why couldn't they just have had one of the soldiers controlling all the robotic yeti? The story does feel completely pointless at the end with the "oh, the villian got away" one liner said at the end. Maybe I'll leave it on my shelf for now and re-watch it in the future. But for now it's staying on there! Mehhhhhhh!

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to do a TV series with the 8th Doctor, doesn't McGann look amazing there?!

What does everyone think about Capaldi's new companion?

PANews_P-ea02a19a-7d30-4331-9ffb-6c6edfcc2fb8_I1.jpg

I suppose having a full white British cast would look bad, right?

What does everyone think about Capaldi's new companion?

I've never seen him act, so I'll have to reserve judgement. He was in Emmerdale with Jenna, I think, but I won't let that put me off. I just hope there's more to him than Rory/Mickey - though I liked both, the weak-willed boyfriend thing has been done twice now. I'm hoping for more of a Turlough character...

I am VERY excited that Michael Smiley's in episode two though. A really gifted, quite terrifying actor. I hope it's a recurring role - or maybe even the Master.

I think Capaldi should go in a "new direction" with the Doctor's outfit, perhaps something like:
Mus3_1878848a.jpg

this :straightface: so we know this time the Doctor is serious and not silly ;)

I think Capaldi should go in a "new direction" with the Doctor's outfit, perhaps something like:

Actually he looks great like that, though perhaps a little too Master-ish.

Keeley Hawes has just been announced as appearing in the new series. Another nice piece of casting, I think.

Really, really miss Eccleston. My personal favorite since the revival.

Really, really miss Eccleston. My personal favorite since the revival.
Oh yes to this.
I thought it a real shame that Eccleston did not stay on for a few more series in order to develop his Doctor.
Also dissapointed that he refused to take part in the anniversary episode.
Whilst John Hurt was great (as he always is) the idea of this unknown Doctor appeared to me somewhat contrived
and an obivious bolt on to fill the space left by Eccleston.

Oh yes to this.
I thought it a real shame that Eccleston did not stay on for a few more series in order to develop his Doctor.
Whilst John Hurt was great (as he always is) the idea of this unknown Doctor appeared to me somewhat contrived

Hear Hear.

Some random news

The Rani (Kate O'Mara) has died. On reflection though, The Rani was probably the worst villain in the history of Doctor Who and added nothing to the stories she was in.

images

Hear Hear.

Some random news

The Rani (Kate O'Mara) has died. On reflection though, The Rani was probably the worst villain in the history of Doctor Who and added nothing to the stories she was in.

images

I agree, but in part that was because she was a pretty rotten actress imo.

Talking of villains, remember this?

This show took a huge shit on itself as soon as Moffat took over.

Quite right.

You can count the decent Moffat penned episodes on one hand. He's a self-regarding hack and should be replaced. I'm sick of his storylines which go nowhere.

I quite agree. In fact, I can only think of two episodes of his that I enjoyed...

Oh yes to this.

It would have been nice to have seen either a second series with him OR at least a first series with a decent budget. Just look at Tennant's first Christmas special as compared to the entire first series...huge difference.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see him back for the anniversary episode...there's always next year with the 10th anniversary of the revival.

It would have been nice to have seen either a second series with him OR at least a first series with a decent budget.

and uttering more dialogue like this....
tumblr_n2282pcz2f1s1dbq7o1_500.png

Yeah, it would have been nice to see him back for the anniversary episode...there's always next year with the 10th anniversary of the revival.

tumblr_n1x8ueKMWK1sg9ebxo3_400.gif

"“I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle."

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-...s-why-he-really-quit-doctor-who#ixzz2y6ojgArk

was Eccleston the best Doctor?
perhaps, if we limit such to his short run :o however
Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

Tom Baker will always be the Doctor of many of our's childhoods
and well for me, David Tennant set the bar pretty damn high
still, I have high hopes for, hopefully, a meaner, leaner Doctor in Peter Capaldi
of course, it don't hurt that he is Scottish :D

I find it interesting that Eccleston doesn't wish to participate in any of Big Finish audios. Maybe he just made a bad choice in his acting career? At least Paul McGann had a massive range of novels and audio adventures to keep his Doctor continuing until his Doctor's regeneration in "Night Of The Doctor". I would be pleasantly surprised if Eccleston ever did return in a one-off episode or an audio adventure. But I doubt there would be much further characterisation to explore, unless they have adventures pre-Rose.

Last edited by a moderator:
was Eccleston the best Doctor?
tumblr_m5w91q2fhP1qcwhkeo1_400.gif

Tom Baker will always be the Doctor of many of our's childhoods
tumblr_mgwsxxlLqb1qcwhkeo6_250.gif

and well for me, David Tennant set the bar pretty damn high
still, D
tumblr_m66kt5jccO1qgct0yo2_250.gif

I find it interesting that Eccleston doesn't wish to participate in any of Big Finish audios. Maybe he just made a bad choice in his acting career? At least Paul McGann had a massive range of novels and audio adventures to keep his Doctor continuing until his Doctor's regeneration in "Night Of The Doctor". I would be pleasantly surprised if Eccleston ever did return in a one-off episode or an audio adventure. But I doubt there would be much further characterisation to explore, unless they have adventures pre-Rose.

Eccleston is a wee bit up his own arse hole.

tumblr_mqbfj6ba471qcwhkeo1_250.gif

Back
Top Bottom