2r7lbp5.jpg

Caravaggio

2gxfalt.jpg

Jenny Saville

29atg5h.jpg

Pascal Le Gras

14smc10.jpg

Last edited:
Can you expand a little on why these images are important to you? What do they represent in your internal landscape?

regards. BB.

Can you expand a little on why these images are important to you? What do they represent in your internal landscape?

regards. BB.

Well I love Vic Reeves anyway so I love his sometimes infantile and surreal subject matter and style, this is one of his more serious pieces though. A lot of people copy his style now. It's quite easy to detect when a work of his has been ripped off. He's got a very unique and playful style.

Tretchikoff became a millionaire because of this painting. Being heavily mass produced it'd usually put me off, art shouldn't be diluted and re-pressed until the litho template wears out, personally for me though; I love it. I love the kitsch value to it and the actual tones used give it a metallic, futuristic edge, although the lady is portrayed in traditional Chinese clothing.

How can you not appreciate Carravagio? You cannot deny his work is a masterpiece. Not a masterpiece like an Amy Winehouse album or a James Cameron film. I mean a true masterpiece of the arts. I love this particular piece (Boy Bitten By Lizard) because the boy in it looks distressed. It's something about the lighting and the way it's composed that unsettles me. The way the light hits the canvas is quite extraordinary actually, it looks effortless but it's obviously a work of genius.

Jenny Saville is great really because her work is very emotive and gutteral, she doesn't shy away from the nitty gritty, she makes humans look like vulnerable slabs of meat, plus her use of colours is very de-saturated and realistic. I find her work sometimes a bit hard to look at as her depictions can be quite close to the bone. Plus she's actually fantastic at painting, she uses proportions and perspective exceptionally well.

Well Pascals work featured on a lot of Fall artwork covers, I love his unmistakable style and colours are unlimited in his world, a lot of his work is repeated which in itself is hypnotic and creates rhythm in the piece. I can appreciate the great works from the master Baroque era but I also love surrealist, abstract modern work too. This is very tangible and vivid and doesn't seem to be about anything, at least not literally anyway. All of it is by hand too, nowt digital (as far as I know) something which is difficult when repeating compositions or creating symmetry, a lot of patience is needed.

Alexander Calder
002.jpg

Matisse
matisse_magnolias.jpg

Joseph Cornell
cornell.hotel-eden.jpg

Ingres
Jean-Auguste%20Dominique%20Ingres-767484.jpg

There's so many...I gotta go walk the dog and eat breakfast, this could go on all day. :D

A few months ago LACMA had a Caravaggio exhibit. Breathtaking in person, a testimony to how much gets lost in a print.

His work is simply stunning. The light in the picture is a literal stroke of genius. I can't get on board the fact that Tracy Emin's - Unmade Bed piece could ever be put in the same category as this. I know I'm gonna receive a torrent of babble off a load of pseudo-modernist Brian Sewell plebs but a lot of her work and a lot of modern art is yarbles.

His work is simply stunning. The light in the picture is a literal stroke of genius. I can't get on board the fact that Tracy Emin's - Unmade Bed piece could ever be put in the same category as this. I know I'm gonna receive a torrent of babble off a load of pseudo-modernist Brian Sewell plebs but a lot of her work and a lot of modern art is yarbles.

I don't think you will receive a torrent of anything re modern art. I've visited the Tate Modern in London a few times, and some of it is interesting and worthy, but a large portion is absolute crap. It's art, but it's crap art

I agree 100000%. I'm pretty sure Caravaggio would laugh to see his pieces showcased in the same building as postmodern think-pieces.

Fernand Léger
the-two-women-two-sisters-1952.jpg

Modigliani
victoria-1916.jpg

Fragonard
747px-Jean-Honoré_Fragonard_-_The_Shirt_Withdrawn_-_WGA8069.jpg

Egon Schiele
Egon_Schiele_020.jpg

Great thread.

I like Hopper's "Nighthawks". As a kid, I simply liked it because it had "Phillies" in it, which I totally misunderstood. As an adult, I came to realize what was involved in the painting (and all of Hopper's work)
edward-hopper-nighthawks-c-1942.jpg

Great thread.

I like Hopper's "Nighthawks". As a kid, I simply liked it because it had "Phillies" in it, which I totally misunderstood. As an adult, I came to realize what was involved in the painting (and all of Hopper's work)
View attachment 16220

Love Hopper.

71.jpg

Thank you for your earlier expansion on why some art speaks to you. I share your concern's about the integrity of "modernist/ post-modernist" art. I recently visited Newcastle for a sex rampage and whilst resting from those sports, visited The Baltic Mill. There, I discovered Fabrice Hyber and nothing will ever be the same again, as this artist linked and resolved nearly all of the concerns and distrust I feel towards Emin and that ilk :

https://www.balticmill.com/whats-on/exhibitions/detail/fabrice-hyber

Have you read "The Painted Word" by Tom Wolfe?

http://www.tomwolfe.com/PaintedWord.html

regards

Last edited:
I'd love to see this in person some day, have no idea where it's at. It doesn't look like much but in it's day it was quite revolutionary.

Marcel Duchamp
The bride stripped bare by her bachelors even

tumblr_m9op8omwkH1qfym7qo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Was in Chicago over the weekend......went to the Art Institute yesterday #mindblown

At first thought, I'd say I am much more into photography than painting.
However, once I thought about it, I realized I have often hung prints of paintings on my walls along side the movie posters and photos I love
with pride of place always going to
kandinsky-composition8.jpg

this "masterpiece" I have seen it with my own eyes and it still holds wonder to me
I have bought prints of it more than once and really must get one to put up in my room here in China
next is one I still have from my trip to New Zealand:
df_zps5acec5ca.jpg

it currently hangs just above and behind the TV I rarely watch in my bedroom
& here are 6 more near to my heart:
Hougoumont-robertgibb_zpseaee4f15.jpg

Mondrian_Broadway_Boogie_Woogie_zps503f4b91.jpg

la_belle_dame_zps63f82057.jpg

The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_zps6c39fb6c.jpg

Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_zpsb34a34d3.jpg

vermeer.jpg

as you can see, what paintings I am into are really all over the map, what they (mostly) share in common is that I have seen the "real things" up close
and looking at this list, it seems to include a number of Dutch painters, interesting...

Back
Top Bottom