Joy Division, or New Order?

fenner

I think I know what most of your answers will be (but then again, maybe I don't since I'm quite new here).
Personally, I feel like New Order is just better than JD in every way possible. I just couldn't ever get into Joy Division because they were too boring to me for some reason.. I dunno...
This is one of those songs that's really memorable to me because it has a really eerie feel to it and it's definitely one of my favorites by them... feel free to share your favorite JD/NO songs too

Last edited by a moderator:
We needed more New Order fans around here!

Love them both. Though I do listen to NO more often. I love to dance and I think they have the best music for that... out of any group.

Here is one of my favorite JD tracks... put to one of my fave films...

I think I know what most of your answers will be (but then again, maybe I don't since I'm quite new here).
Personally, I feel like New Order is just better than JD in every way possible. I just couldn't ever get into Joy Division because they were too boring to me, and I really think Ian Curtis died for a very special reason-- so that New Order could happen (am I allowed to say that? oh well, whatever :p).
This is one of those songs that's really memorable to me because it has a really eerie feel to it and it's definitely one of my favorites by them... feel free to share your favorite JD/NO songs too

Hello fenner, welcome to the madhouse.

I love them both equally, I see them as one and the same actually, evolution, New Order picking up where Joy Division left off.
They are my all time second favourite band, guess who the first one might be. :)
A little surprising that you have chosen one of the most JD sounding New Order tracks if you find JD so boring.
Anyway, it's all good.

Here is one of my favourite New Order songs...

Hello fenner, welcome to the madhouse.

I love them both equally, I see them as one and the same actually, evolution, New Order picking up where Joy Division left off.
They are my all time second favourite band, guess who the first one might be. :)
A little surprising that you have chosen one of the most JD sounding New Order tracks if you find JD so boring.
Anyway, it's all good.

I thought the same exact thing.

I thought the same exact thing.

You guys are right, it does have sort of the Joy Division sound, and there's nothing wrong with that really, but I still do like New Order's work more as a whole. Anyways, what about Electronic? They were pretty cool, Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr--

You guys are right, it does have sort of the Joy Division sound, and there's nothing wrong with that really, but I still do like New Order's work more as a whole. Anyways, what about Electronic? They were pretty cool, Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr--

I like them. Great song.

I first hear Joy Division in the late 80's because I was at school and this other student mentioned them. He was giving me a great compliment but I didn't know it at the time. I had a sad alcoholic friend that wrote books full of song lyrics in case anyone ever picked up a guitar, he could grab his book and sing. I had made a tape with him with three songs and I was playing it at school. This guy said that it sounded like Joy Division. I had never heard Joy Division but I was interested then so I went to the record store. My friend Gary worked there and they had Closer and Unknown Pleasures. He said everyone bought Unknown Pleasures so I should buy Closer, which made sense, so I did. So I loved Joy Division and started buying what I could find.
I thought they were so good that I would not buy New Order or listen to them, and where I lived it was possible to never hear them, so I didn't. Then I met this girl that loved New Order and collected their singles. She also liked Joy Division but the difference was that before I met her I didn't do anything except get high and be depressed so Joy Division was perfect. But New Order is much more social music. They still have the songs you listen to by yourself at 3am and Barney's as deep as anyone if just not always so articulate. But anyone that thinks he can't sing or write lyrics is ignoring that he can and actually does do those things more successfully than people with a lot more "talent" whatever that actually is. New Order makes classic hits that are bigger than life. Joy Divsion is THE model for what it did. Both are the best at what they do.

They are better than:
The Smiths
Morrissey
Depeche Mode
The Cure, for sure, but had to mention them
everyone else

I first hear Joy Division in the late 80's because I was at school and this other student mentioned them. He was giving me a great compliment but I didn't know it at the time. I had a sad alcoholic friend that wrote books full of song lyrics in case anyone ever picked up a guitar, he could grab his book and sing. I had made a tape with him with three songs and I was playing it at school. This guy said that it sounded like Joy Division. I had never heard Joy Division but I was interested then so I went to the record store. My friend Gary worked there and they had Closer and Unknown Pleasures. He said everyone bought Unknown Pleasures so I should buy Closer, which made sense, so I did. So I loved Joy Division and started buying what I could find.
I thought they were so good that I would not buy New Order or listen to them, and where I lived it was possible to never hear them, so I didn't. Then I met this girl that loved New Order and collected their singles. She also liked Joy Division but the difference was that before I met her I didn't do anything except get high and be depressed so Joy Division was perfect. But New Order is much more social music. They still have the songs you listen to by yourself at 3am and Barney's as deep as anyone if just not always so articulate. But anyone that thinks he can't sing or write lyrics is ignoring that he can and actually does do those things more successfully than people with a lot more "talent" whatever that actually is. New Order makes classic hits that are bigger than life. Joy Divsion is THE model for what it did. Both are the best at what they do.

They are better than:
The Smiths
Morrissey
Depeche Mode
The Cure, for sure, but had to mention them
everyone else

Great post. :thumb:

oh yeah...! This was my aunt's from 1989 lol ( i feel sort of bad for cutting it... but it was effing gigantic)
tumblr_mqd59wMHzP1sw6p9fo2_500.jpg
tumblr_mqd59wMHzP1sw6p9fo1_500.jpg

JOY - Ian was a great lyricist/vocalist the production is awesome, the riffs and beats are great; the song structure is severely lacking (songs become boring). 7.5 out of 10

NEW - Barney is a terrible lyricist, vocals are bland, production is awesome, riffs and beats are great but veer into corniness, song structure is great, song length is sometimes unnecessary (songs become boring), the singles are usually the only good tracks. 7 out of 10.

The best Joy Division record was actually made by Interpol. I give it a 9.5. Too bad everything they made after that was a limp retread.

I haven't taken the time to explore either band. I've probably only heard 5 or 6 New Order songs in my life. As for Joy Division, I've only heard 2 or 3. I've liked most of these songs but not enough to pursue either band's music.

I owned an Electronic album and liked it for the most part. I think the album was entitled "Raise the Pressure." This is the song off that album that I enjoyed the most.....

Love both, but consider Joy Division clearly superior. Curtis just adds an edge and a seriousness that puts them in an entirely different league than New Order.

Comparing the two is just lunacy, they have nothing in common at all musically or historically.

Why not compare New Order with New Order? Seriously, there is more material to compare.

Back
Top Bottom