Joy Division, or New Order?

I've seen New Order live about 20 times between 1986 and 2013.

Was absolutely obsessed with them when i was a teenager in the 80s. First heard their album Power, Corruption & Lies when i was 15 in 1983 and it pretty much changed my whole attitude to life and everything really! They and their music seemed from another planet back then. It was almost like Hook's bass, Morris' drumming, Sumner's lyrics & vocals and Gillian's synth melodies were constantly running through my veins around the ages of 15 to 19.They went a bit duff mostly after the end of the 80s but still come up with at least one or two classic songs on each new album they've released in the 90s (Republic) and noughties (Get Ready and Waiting For The Sirens' Call). They were incredible live in the 80s despite the hilarious f*** ups like synthesizers breaking down and Bernard being off his head.They're more "professional" live these days though some of the old charm remains.

With New Order it wasn't just the music, i loved the four personalities - Bernard, Hooky , Steve Morris and Gillian.

Joy Division, hmm... not such a fan of them as New Order but loved Unknown Pleasures the very first time i heard it around the mid 80s.Closer was more difficult.Takes a while to find its way in i found for me.

I rarely listen to NO or JD these days, the only time i guess i hear the songs is when i see New Order live. I prefer to hear new or current music these days.But if New Order record and release something new ( which will be happening early 2014 fingers crossed) i'll be scrambling frantically to grab a listen.

Could never say i have one all time favourite New Order song, it's always changing.Though the song that hooked me right into them was Age Of Consent.That was i guess the song that changed my life at the age of 15

I think I know what most of your answers will be (but then again, maybe I don't since I'm quite new here).
Personally, I feel like New Order is just better than JD in every way possible. I just couldn't ever get into Joy Division because they were too boring to me for some reason.. I dunno...

WHAT??? JD IN EVERY SENSE are so much better but I like New Order for a few gems. f*** knows how you can call JD boring, along with The Banshees and The Cure they're the most important of the post-punk influence without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom