Joy Division, or New Order?

I tend to favour Joy Division over New Order. Barney's lyrics and voice can be a bit ropey at the best of times. Still in saying that New Order are damn good. Here's a clip from The Other Two, which was Gillian and Steve from New Order doing a side project. It's a nice little song, but listening to it now it does seem a bit mid 1990's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I will be seeing New Order play in less than 24 hours, but I do prefer Joy Division by a long stretch. My favorite New Order album is definitely Movement which is the most Joy Division sounding of all them.

Well I will be seeing New Order play in less than 24 hours, but I do prefer Joy Division by a long stretch. My favorite New Order album is definitely Movement which is the most Joy Division sounding of all them.

Lucky you. Have fun.

Lucky you. Have fun.

It was an extremely fun time. They didn't play anything from Movement, which is my favorite New Order album, but I can't complain because New Order did a really amazing show. They played all of their big hits (Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, True Faith, Age of Consent), as well as, a little bit of their more newish material (2001 being newish may be a stretch, but in the grand schemes of Joy Division/New Order I suppose it is) that I wasn't too familiar with, but I really liked it. The song was called "Crystal."

What was most interesting to me was the relationship the band seemed to have with their past as Joy Division. They played one Joy Division during the main set ("Isolation") and afterwards Bernard Summer mentioned that he used to not like to play Joy Division stuff, but was fine with it now.

When he came back for the encore though he had switched from a New Order t-shirt to a Joy Division one and asked if there were any Joy Division fans in the house (you can guess the reaction). They played exclusively Joy Division songs during the encore ("Atmosphere," "Shadowplay," and obviously "Love Will Tear Us Apart) and the back drop flashed with pictures of Ian Curtis, the cover to Unknown Pleasures, pictures of the entire discography of Joy Division/New Order, and the words "FOREVER JOY DIVISION." It was very cool and very moving, but a little sad to see a giant picture of Ian Curtis looking so young juxtaposed next to his bandmates looking...not so young (but sounding great!).

I have to confess while the whole concert was musically very tight, hearing Joy Division sans Ian Curtis's voice is a little disorientating. I don't begrudge the band for playing those songs and I think they have every right to, but it's...it's a little strange.

The opening band, Holy Ghost!, was good. They were very young and seem like they could be up and comers. I had forgotten after Kristeen Young that opening bands were sometimes not dreadful, but new artists whose ship may be rising. I don't know if I would go to see them if they weren't opening for New Order, but I intend to check out their album.

I had had pit tickets and I actually through some fluke managed to be in the very front against the guard rail. I've never managed to be very close at a big show like that so it was truly an amazing experience. Being in the very front is sort of surreal and hard to explain.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if anyone gets a chance it is certainly worth seeing New Order this time around.

I always hate people who take pictures at concerts instead of enjoying the music, but I have to confess being so close and being able to catch actually decent quality photos on my iPhone for once I did snap a few. I got more of the opening act than New Order (because obviously I was too entranced with the share magic of their performance to be f***ing around on my phone), but I got a little of the encore and few others. If anyone is interested I could be persuaded to post a few.

^^^ Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like it was amazing. I hope I get a chance to see them live one day soon. I agree with you about the filming/photo snapping during a show. But I too would not be able to resist taking a few pics. I'd LOVE to see the ones you took. :)

^^^ Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like it was amazing. I hope I get a chance to see them live one day soon. I agree with you about the filming/photo snapping during a show. But I too would not be able to resist taking a few pics. I'd LOVE to see the ones you took. :)

They're always really shitty and blurry, but I was almost the same distance as the professional photographers (there was a gap between me and the stage were they hung out for the first three songs with their super fancy cameras) so I just could not help myself. I need to upload the rest from my phone (and than to the internet!) but I think this one I posted to my facebook should work. 969602_10200621269874013_384688476_n.jpg

They're always really shitty and blurry, but I was almost the same distance as the professional photographers (there was a gap between me and the stage were they hung out for the first three songs with their super fancy cameras) so I just could not help myself. I need to upload the rest from my phone (and than to the internet!) but I think this one I posted to my facebook should work. View attachment 16027

Thanks for sharing that. Wow, you were close. Nice.

Thanks for sharing that. Wow, you were close. Nice.

Here are some more. I can only attach five photos to a post apparently and I don't want to spam the thread so I will spare you multple posts including pictures of the opening act or me looking dorking. But here are a few more of the shots of New Order I took--
1012453_10200641886829424_1702854526_n.jpg
1017462_10200641935270635_497345071_n.jpg
531783_10200641940070755_1016791778_n.jpg
1014364_10200641973871600_582879054_n.jpg
999396_10200641960791273_1187815566_n.jpg

^^^ Wow, those are great Chip. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks!

Here are the rest of the New Order ones--

1001028_10200641966391413_1370532526_n.jpg

946337_10200641976031654_1012959955_n.jpg

And then I cannot help but share this--

1003343_10200620057763711_1384704387_n.jpg

I have more photos--some shots of the opening band, plus one of myself at the concert, but I will spare everyone those since I don't think anyone here is interested in Holy Ghost!

:thumb:

Well, I always appreciate seeing pics of the posters here. So...

I feel like I may be opening myself up for heaps of personal abuse later on (civility sometimes gets lost here), but here it goes--just promise you won't make too much fun of me--

67619_10200620146525930_563431750_n.jpg

though I like New Order a whole hell of a lot, especially since they are real good to dance to :o
but
Ian+Curtis.jpg

he holds a special place in my musical heart and always will...

Since this thread popped up I've been searching out Joy Division's music. I found this song & like it a lot!

"The Only Mistake" by Joy Division

If you really like lyrics then it has to be Joy Division by a mile...New Order can never do Joy Division songs justice, songs like this...

Back
Top Bottom