They're gone, but I love 'em

Me too, they were magnificent. Hope someone posts "Love Street" or "Unhappy Girl," two great songs. "Ghost Song" and "Take It As It Comes" are great too.

I never understood their appeal, though I'd concede they were unique and important. I like a few of their songs but that's it. Personally I always thought the strength was in the band; Morrison has got to be one of the worst rock lyricists ever.

I never understood their appeal, though I'd concede they were unique and important. I like a few of their songs but that's it. Personally I always thought the strength was in the band; Morrison has got to be one of the worst rock lyricists ever.

It was the overall feel and dream which led me to relax into the whole world they created, as with any other band, potentially I suppose, but The Doors created their own world, in the sense that the atmosphere and feeling was something different and a few degrees removed from where I was, and still has that special element today which I know will never die, and is regurgitated blah blah blah.... And Jim and Ray are part of that and always will be

My feelings exactly.

Thirded!
But I think this is one of those bands who - although the songs are still melodic and interesting today - are probably more relevant at the time.
If you've ever read any of his poetry and factor in the amounts of drugs being pumped in to them all in a climate of experimentation: I'm surprised most of his audience didn't freak out talking to lizard kings...
He did ramble a bit but so would I on types of drugs he was mixing together.
The organ sound, however, may not be as iconic as Jim in his leather trousers but I suspect it had more of a sustained impact on burgeoning keyboard players.
Regards,
FWD

My feelings exactly.

Thirded!
But I think this is one of those bands who - although the songs are still melodic and interesting today - are probably more relevant at the time.
If you've ever read any of his poetry and factor in the amounts of drugs being pumped in to them all in a climate of experimentation: I'm surprised most of his audience didn't freak out talking to lizard kings...
He did ramble a bit but so would I on types of drugs he was mixing together.
The organ sound, however, may not be as iconic as Jim in his leather trousers but I suspect it had more of a sustained impact on burgeoning keyboard players.
Regards,
FWD

I feel that way about The Beatles. Not just that they don't mean anything to me, but that they become more annoying / irritating the more I listen to them. Nasal voices and catchy tunes. It's all subjective. The Doors have a 60's feel, and at first listen this is the overriding sound. Horses for courses, but after Smiths/Morrissey, Doors and Suede are joint second, and there is a gap after that to fourth place, and I think we all know that gap, whatever bands are involved, it's the other bands

Last edited by a moderator:

*sigh...but the bass lines! Oh, the BASS LINES!

I feel that way about The Beatles. Not just that they don't mean anything to me, but that they become more annoying / irritating the more I listen to them. Nasal voices and catchy tunes. It's all subjective. The Doors have a 60's feel, and at first listen this is the overriding sound. Horses for courses, but after Smiths/Morrissey, Doors and Suede are joint second, and there is a gap after that to fourth place, and I think we all know that gap, whatever bands are involved, it's the other bands

I didn't get into the Beatles til I was about 21 or 22; then I listened to them to the exclusion of everything else for about 18 months. I still revisit them occasionally but it's hard to count them as a personal favorite because they are so ubiquitous. Maybe that shouldn't matter but it does.

I don't have time for a lot of 60s music. I do love The Monkees...the way you love The Doors.

I was obsessive about Suede when they came out but I gradually lost interest over the years. I still sometimes play them and the music is good and it brings back good memories but even in the days when they were plastered all over my teenage bedroom wall, I never felt emotionally connected to them.

*sigh...but the bass lines! Oh, the BASS LINES!

Didn't Manzarek do all that with his foot on the organ pedal or something?

That's not off topic. Have you ever clicked on my sig pic?

PS No, not yet

It didn't come to any theaters around here. I just downloaded it but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe tonight, as Doug Fieger once said.

It didn't come to any theaters around here. I just downloaded it but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe tonight, as Doug Fieger once said.

I've heard mixed reviews about it, some say the characters are misplaced and miscast. Let me know what you think. Some idiot should start a Woody Allen thread

Back
Top Bottom