How Morrissey fans made me stop being a Morrissey fan!

The post was actually (and obviously) a joke.

If you "knew anything," by the way, you would know that the brain vs mind debate occupied science for centuries, and "mind" is now accepted as synonymous with consciousness and the subconscious, not with the "machine"--the brain--which runs these "programs." (See for example Dennett, of course, of whom you've heard via your Hitchens worship.) Your gloss on the matter was ignorant and flat-out false.

This is very basic stuff commonly found in the sort of academic-subjects-for-total-lunkheads works you're so proud of having stacked, a whole one-and-a-half feet high, in your home. I'm surprised.

Welp, Dennett is a philosopher, not a scientist. And just because I like apples doesn't make me a fan of everything in the fruit basket.

And what are you talking about exactly? And what if anything does it have to do with religions masquerading as science? And lastly, who are you and why do you feel the need to hide being the anonymous moniker? You seem to know so much about me... and using it to your advantage (ad hominem anyone?) Seems like you like to take the chicken shit approach to debating.

Now if you are willing to come out of the closet and discuss this further, I am willing... that is if you stop talking in circles and make your points more precise. In other words, stop beating around the bush and talking gibberish.

Welp, Dennett is a philosopher, not a scientist.

Someone said otherwise?

And just because I like apples doesn't make me a fan of everything in the fruit basket.

I wrote nothing implying that you like Dennett's work. I wrote that you must have heard of it.

And what are you talking about exactly?

We were talking about your claim that the mind equals the brain, in your attempt at oneupmanship directed at Lasse Kongo.

And what if anything does it have to do with religions masquerading as science?

You introduced that content, so you tell me. The content I introduced simply made clear that appending the word "science" to something doesn't make it a science.

And lastly, who are you and why do you feel the need to hide being the anonymous moniker?

You are this site's greatest proponent of anonymous posts, I thought? Yet you become so furious when they take issue with your own posts.

You seem to know so much about me...

You use the site as a platform for repeating three or four claims about yourself endlessly.

and using it to your advantage

How so?

(ad hominem anyone?)

No, I don't think anyone's going to cosign that.

Seems like you like to take the chicken shit approach to debating.

The only thing we've debated is whether you were correct to tell someone that the mind and the brain are one and the same in the views of scientists, a class of persons you with whom you mysteriously identify.

Now if you are willing to come out of the closet and discuss this further, I am willing...

Discuss what? Discuss you? What a shock. Didn't know you liked that subject.

that is if you stop talking in circles and make your points more precise.

You endlessly tell others that they aren't making sense, aren't arguing well, should express themselves differently. Even your pals are telling you to stop with the bossing. If you had any authority on these matters, people wouldn't mind, but you don't seem intelligent or knowledgable. Just controlling.

In other words, stop beating around the bush and talking gibberish.

I interrupted your attempt to lecture someone with a silly joke. Now you're having a fit.

Go write a poem.

Well if you truly knew anything about Scientology and Christian Science then you would know very well why these religions hijacked the word science, now wouldn't ya, genius?

Yes it is hijacked and so are many other things pretending to be based on science as is the case with psychology. First you say I am wrong and then you say I am right but only when someone else pointed out that something you back and think is right is actually not quite what you thought it was.

This is the entire issue with you who have built your own world of truths and whenever people turn up with a reality check you totally lose it and start throwing toys like a mad kid. You have no clue as to what makes something regarded as science like sources and empirical evidence. That is what will probably never make psychology to be regarded as science.

I suggest you go and make yourself a nice tinfoil hat and wear it over your dark hair cause that might just make some man out there confuse you with a blonde that he would like to f*** which is something you have not done in years. Just live a little and realise you do not have all the answers.

large_woman_tin_foil_hat.jpg

Yes it is hijacked and so are many other things pretending to be based on science as is the case with psychology. First you say I am wrong and then you say I am right but only when someone else pointed out that something you back and think is right is actually not quite what you thought it was.

This is the entire issue with you who have built your own world of truths and whenever people turn up with a reality check you totally lose it and start throwing toys like a mad kid. You have no clue as to what makes something regarded as science like sources and empirical evidence. That is what will probably never make psychology to be regarded as science.

I suggest you go and make yourself a nice tinfoil hat and wear it over your dark hair cause that might just make some man out there confuse you with a blonde that he would like to f*** which is something you have not done in years. Just live a little and realise you do not have all the answers.

View attachment 15929

But you do. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Someone said otherwise?

I wrote nothing implying that you like Dennett's work. I wrote that you must have heard of it.

We were talking about your claim that the mind equals the brain, in your attempt at oneupmanship directed at Lasse Kongo.

You introduced that content, so you tell me. The content I introduced simply made clear that appending the word "science" to something doesn't make it a science.

You are this site's greatest proponent of anonymous posts, I thought? Yet you become so furious when they take issue with your own posts.

You use the site as a platform for repeating three or four claims about yourself endlessly.

How so?

No, I don't think anyone's going to cosign that.

The only thing we've debated is whether you were correct to tell someone that the mind and the brain are one and the same in the views of scientists, a class of persons you with whom you mysteriously identify.

Discuss what? Discuss you? What a shock. Didn't know you liked that subject.

You endlessly tell others that they aren't making sense, aren't arguing well, should express themselves differently. Even your pals are telling you to stop with the bossing. If you had any authority on these matters, people wouldn't mind, but you don't seem intelligent or knowledgable. Just controlling.

I interrupted your attempt to lecture someone with a silly joke. Now you're having a fit.

Go write a poem.

Okay.

Goodness me! Im sorry I wasted the time it took me to read all of your posts. I wanted to read them so I could contribute an intelligent reply, but all I read was something of a pissing match between a few 'posters'. Nevertheless, ill have my say. I cant believe that anyone could let themselves be manipulated or pushed away from their favorite artist. The title of the post intrigued me. How can fans of the same artist cause you to not be a fan?-this goes for anyone, not just the poster of origin. You either love the man and his music on your own terms and for your own reasons, and damn the people who don't, or you simply are not a true fan. Full stop. Its like going to the movies. You may hate the kids that kick the back of your seat and talk during the movie, but is that going to make you hate the movie? Im totally bemused and saddened that anyone would let themselves be 'pushed around' like that. Look. I don't like the pushers and shovers at a Moz show. Or the girl, (or guy) who sings along loudly and badly to every song, etc, but it sure as hell is not going to make me stop enjoying myself as much as I can and having yet another memorable experience. His albums are going to continue to bring me joy, and whatever else he is set to do in the future, will have me fraught with anticipation. I am sorry it wont be the same for you lot that let things get in your way. And for you to call his fans: "quasi-intellectual kids that never grew up, are afraid of life, and bully kings", lets not forget you just classified yourself as one of them. Its sad. That is sad. I came to this site to enjoy hearing of other fans' experiences and stories. To be among like minded, rock solid, devoted fans. For the most part, I still am. But it just makes me wonder how many are truly left. You clearly are not one of them and that's fine. The rest of us will fill the shoes of the ones who no longer want to bother to put them on. Personally, no one, and nothing will ever stand in the way of my admiration and devotion to Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom