How Morrissey fans made me stop being a Morrissey fan!

Time was I could only get Hatful of Hollow on cassette...played that baby till it did that screeching thing cassette tapes do when they wear out! I bought it on CD....not the same so I got it on vinyl....life is good!

Certainly more excusable than thinking you're fated to be in a romantic relationship with him.

That's it. Consider yourself uninvited to the wedding. You can return our Oster smoothie blender to Target.

Basically what it comes down to is this: people who collect EVERY SINGLE PRESSING of EVERY SINGLE SONG are a little anal.

People who collect/download, disseminate alternate versions, bootlegs, leaks, b-sides, etc. tend to be more interested in the art...i.e. obscure alternate interpretations of the message...as an art form, as a song to enjoy. Not to collect, as a hoarder, as a f***ed up weirdo.

Personally I quite like Morrissey's lyrics and the music he has chosen to put it to as a sellable product, but Morrissey himself in recent years has disappointed me. This does not detract from my capacity to enjoy songs like Interesting Drug, I'd Love To, or Christian Dior.

His music has brought me a great deal of joy and entertainment over the years but ultimately he is a mortal man who is past his peak as an artist...still capable (I hope) of great things but between his hyperbolic blurbs and his continued self-foot-shootings over the last two years, at this point I'll either just be content to play his old records or come here to talk a little shit about the guy. For fun.

Is this just listening to music? Or a psychotic devotion to Hatful of Hollow cassette tapes? :straightface: This is the same as the obsession to get a handshake.

Hatful.jpg

Some of us collect The Smiths/Morrissey vinyl, cassettes, cds, etc and some of us just see signs.
For the record, my motives for collecting are nothing to do with financial gain, every single item I own has been opened and played (except for the Rank DAT and a few Japanese LDs ).
I don't expect you to understand, but thanks for the diagnosis anyway doc.
All these years not knowing what was wrong with me, and the answer was here all along.

Some of us collect The Smiths/Morrissey vinyl, cassettes, cds, etc and some of us just see signs.
For the record, my motives for collecting are nothing to do with financial gain, every single item I own has been opened and played (except for the Rank DAT and a few Japanese LDs ).
I don't expect you to understand, but thanks for the diagnosis anyway doc.
All these years not knowing what was wrong with me, and the answer was here all along.

I didn't intend to direct that towards you specifically, I using collecting as an example of overdoing something.

I didn't intend to direct that towards you specifically, I using collecting as an example of overdoing something.

Well, it certainly felt like it was directed at me, particularly when you consider that you used a photo I posted to make your statement.
Either way, I don't expect anybody to understand why I collect, I can tell you it's certainly not to make a profit or because I am a hoarder in general.
There is something gratifying about owning all those different releases, different sleeve variations, etc.
I would say it has a lot more to do with aesthetics than anything else.
I would never sell my collection, it means far too much to me, much more than money ever could, for example.

Well, it certainly felt like it was directed at me, particularly when you consider that you used a photo I posted to make your statement.
Either way, I don't expect anybody to understand why I collect, I can tell you it's certainly not to make a profit or because I am a hoarder in general.
There is something gratifying about owning all those different releases, different sleeve variations, etc.
I would say it has a lot more to do with aesthetics than anything else.
I would never sell my collection, it means far too much to me, much more than money ever could, for example.

I don't think CG was having a go at you in any way, she was using that picture as an analogy in an argument about obsessive fans, and where to draw the line, in the context that it's OK to be a fan. !Viva Hate! described it as insane, I don't see anything wrong at all, and I'm glad you post your collection on here :thumb:

...I just left the house...OMG did I leave my burners turned on?! I better go back and check.

I don't think CG was having a go at you in any way, she was using that picture as an analogy in an argument about obsessive fans, and where to draw the line, in the context that it's OK to be a fan. !Viva Hate! described it as insane, I don't see anything wrong at all, and I'm glad you post your collection on here :thumb:

You forgot to point out the fact she tried to compare stalking Morrissey to record collecting as being no different in their insanity.

It wasn't relevant to my point

It was relevant. She said record collecting is as equally "psychotic". I highly doubt Irregular Regular finds it appropriate to have his choice of a record collection lumped in as being the same kind of crazy as stalking Morrissey with the intent of touching him because it will make you feel whole.

Unless, your point was to try to aim his annoyance at Viva instead.

Re: How Morrissey fans made me. stop being a Morrissey fan!

I actually agree, with the general thrust regarding Morrisseys becoming less interesting since he started catering for the North/South American audience.
Its seems he dumbed down and things became less interesting. The reason he does give the Americans so much time is money, in the main. The sad fact is since his return, it's mainly been about money over art.
Also, the audience in the Americans are less in the know in regards to what moz is about, to be kind...Although in truth they are just ( in general) less,intelligent.
I would never go to a moz gig in America simply because of the fans.
Moz likes America and some Americans but he knows their limitations.
He used to be about so much more than a singer..now he gives the bare minimum.
When performing in America I have often seen him mock Americans.
Again, he isnt being cruel, just aware of what his American audience are like.
I think if moz didnt have his slavish " oh look at my moz and johnny " tattoos. To rely on I think he would be less lazy and be more intresting in person and in song

Re: How Morrissey fans made me. stop being a Morrissey fan!

I actually agree, with the general thrust regarding Morrisseys becoming less interesting since he started catering for the North/South American audience.
Its seems he dumbed down and things became less interesting. The reason he does give the Americans so much time is money, in the main. The sad fact is since his return, it's mainly been about money over art.
Also, the audience in the Americans are less in the know in regards to what moz is about, to be kind...Although in truth they are just ( in general) less,intelligent.
I would never go to a moz gig in America simply because of the fans.
Moz likes America and some Americans but he knows their limitations.
He used to be about so much more than a singer..now he gives the bare minimum.
When performing in America I have often seen him mock Americans.
Again, he isnt being cruel, just aware of what his American audience are like.
I think if moz didnt have his slavish " oh look at my moz and johnny " tattoos. To rely on I think he would be less lazy and be more intresting in person and in song

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom