The Footy Thread

No, I totally respect your opinion and in a world where people barely manage to mask who they love and hate in football it is clear you have the heart in the right place when it comes to discussing the game. I don't see LVG as a Messiah but he's the type of boss any company would need to change direction and turn a new leaf. I think he's done a lot of great things but those that criticise him seem to forget how much harm Moyes did to the club from players to fans and even to the tea lady. She will not have enough confidence to pour water in a cup for LVG but maybe in time she will.

I think Moyes was just a fall guy and what happened was inevitable considering the power that Ferguson wielded there. There have been four other clubs with managers that have been that big, Liverpool, Leeds, Derby and Forest. Liverpool were lucky enough to have a progression but once that was up look what happened. Once Clough was gone - from Derby and Forest - look what happened, same with Leeds and Revie, hastened thanks to Sir Brian. Moyes was a strange choice though.

I can't pretend I don't dislike any club, I always like Liverpool to lose. And Leeds for that matter. I can't help it.

my Welsh friend/flatmate/co-worker T. is a big supporter of Chelsea so we went to watch the game in a bar that caters to that sort of thing :guitar:
the almost entirely English crowd was also mainly for Man City and I thought trouble might ensue :eek:
but no, some even offered condolences of a kind when the guy who use to be a star for Chelsea came in and scored for Man City :o
so very different from what would have likely occured at an American bar :cool: and pleasantly so :)
still, watching an entire soccer(football) game was, kind of, boring, so I found myself drifting over into the other room, where the mostly Irish, some Scots too, were watching a strange game that I did not understand :confused: they called it "Gaelic Football"* it looked far more exciting then C v MC
and I enjoyed having a Black Irish babe :brows: explains the rules to me to be sure :blushing:
just might go back for another lesson :p

*=I really do find all the different variants of Rugby to be much more appealing as a viewer than soccer, I bet most Americans would too if given the chance to view them

I think Moyes was just a fall guy and what happened was inevitable considering the power that Ferguson wielded there. There have been four other clubs with managers that have been that big, Liverpool, Leeds, Derby and Forest. Liverpool were lucky enough to have a progression but once that was up look what happened. Once Clough was gone - from Derby and Forest - look what happened, same with Leeds and Revie, hastened thanks to Sir Brian. Moyes was a strange choice though.

I can't pretend I don't dislike any club, I always like Liverpool to lose. And Leeds for that matter. I can't help it.

Same here mate, Liverpool and Leeds in that order. Hardly surprising though for a United fan. I just meant that you do not lower yourself to name calling and silly comments like many others do when things happen in football. I think you and me know too well how fast things can change in football. Last time Chelsea had a great start like this the season did not end well at all for them but having said that I would prefer them to win it this season mainly because there are no options and it will be 5 years between their last two league titles if they win it in May.

Arsenal fans never ceases to amaze me in the way they seem to display their small team mentality every time they have something to shout about and if it has to do with Man United they gladly will. So Welbeck scores a hat trick against a club from a country renowned for their poor away record and season after season failure in the Champions League. I think those Arsenal fans already realise that Welbeck will never score like that on a regular basis and therefor use Wednesdays nights performance as a desperate attempt to have a go at United for letting him go.

I am in no doubt that Welbeck would never have made it at United and that he will be the same frustrating figure at Arsenal scoring the odd goal here and there but you simply will not see him ever scoring in a big game for Arsenal or being the difference in any top game for Arsenal. Arsenal fans reducing themselves to that small side mentality is really funny to watch and you have to hand it to them, they never stop dreaming of the good old times that disappeared the same day that Chelsea got that new owner.

Hey everybody - whatever happened to the Tony Fernandes Frink Thread?!?!

Arsenal fans never ceases to amaze me in the way they seem to display their small team mentality every time they have something to shout about and if it has to do with Man United they gladly will. So Welbeck scores a hat trick against a club from a country renowned for their poor away record and season after season failure in the Champions League. I think those Arsenal fans already realise that Welbeck will never score like that on a regular basis and therefor use Wednesdays nights performance as a desperate attempt to have a go at United for letting him go.

I am in no doubt that Welbeck would never have made it at United and that he will be the same frustrating figure at Arsenal scoring the odd goal here and there but you simply will not see him ever scoring in a big game for Arsenal or being the difference in any top game for Arsenal. Arsenal fans reducing themselves to that small side mentality is really funny to watch and you have to hand it to them, they never stop dreaming of the good old times that disappeared the same day that Chelsea got that new owner.

I'm not an Arsenal knocker, but I can't help thinking this is spot on. Open an account and log in anon.

There really seems to be a "beating Man United curse" in effect still. After Leicester beat United 5-3 they have played two games and not won any of them. I have noticed this since many years back that sides that beat United tend to struggle for quite a few games until they win again or manage to put a few wins together. I read that Leicester players celebrated the win over United with a day at the races and that is where their minds seem to be still.

There really seems to be a "beating Man United curse" in effect still. After Leicester beat United 5-3 they have played two games and not won any of them. I have noticed this since many years back that sides that beat United tend to struggle for quite a few games until they win again or manage to put a few wins together. I read that Leicester players celebrated the win over United with a day at the races and that is where their minds seem to be still.

I forgot to add this applies to league games. Sides that have beaten United have won in League Cup and FA Cup and in Europe but they seem to struggle in the league after beating United in a league game.

Southampton 8 Sunderland 0

I have feared it after scandals in other countries but having seen the goals I am personally absolutely sure this match was fixed. I do hope they investigate it and look at bets made all over the world. Somebody made a lot of money on that result today and I urge everyone to watch BBC Match of the day tonight and make their own conclusion.

Scandalous!

I seem to be the only one not surprised about how well Southampton are doing. As soon as Koeman took over I knew he would turn them into a great side because people in the world of football tend to underestimate the knowledge of dutch footballers and managers. It is about time we recognised how incredibly well that small country have been over the years and how many great players, managers and teams that have come out of the country and its various regions.

You must point the finger at the men in english football and their lack of progress and small minded ignorance of the dutch. Maybe it is time the english started to realise they are no longer the great football people they think they are.

Strange reactions after Manchester derby where United fans seem more pleased with the progress the team is making and City fans did not look at all pleased after they won. Think I have never seen that before and maybe the fact that Chelsea are running away with it means that neither sets of fans have anything to celebrate at the moment.

I love how Van Gaal has put some more steel into the United side and a year ago United players would not have coped like that having a player sent off so early. They would have been hanging their heads as Aguero scored but they soldiered on and were not far away from scoring. It must be hard for Van Gaal to be manager for a side with no proper defenders in it which is the reason for how things are now.

Will City experience the famous "beating United curse" that still affects Leicester?

Deserved win in the end of City who should have 4 or 5 penalties today and as a United fan I was glad and proud that United managed to lose by just a single goal with a man sent off. It will take time but Van Gaal gives me the same feelings that Fergie did as he took over. I can see that fans have confidence in him and that no one awaits much will happen now. A long pre season before next season and I still hope we miss out on Champions League and that it drives the owners away but before that they will be made to fork out big money on players we never bought before and that is the positive thing with struggling.

Here is a great interview where Gary Neville talks to Noel Gallagher ahead of the derby:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideo...-pre-man-city-v-man-united-sky-sports-video/?

Strange reactions after Manchester derby where United fans seem more pleased with the progress the team is making and City fans did not look at all pleased after they won. Think I have never seen that before and maybe the fact that Chelsea are running away with it means that neither sets of fans have anything to celebrate at the moment.

I love how Van Gaal has put some more steel into the United side and a year ago United players would not have coped like that having a player sent off so early. They would have been hanging their heads as Aguero scored but they soldiered on and were not far away from scoring. It must be hard for Van Gaal to be manager for a side with no proper defenders in it which is the reason for how things are now.

Will City experience the famous "beating United curse" that still affects Leicester?

Deserved win in the end of City who should have 4 or 5 penalties today and as a United fan I was glad and proud that United managed to lose by just a single goal with a man sent off. It will take time but Van Gaal gives me the same feelings that Fergie did as he took over. I can see that fans have confidence in him and that no one awaits much will happen now. A long pre season before next season and I still hope we miss out on Champions League and that it drives the owners away but before that they will be made to fork out big money on players we never bought before and that is the positive thing with struggling.

Here is a great interview where Gary Neville talks to Noel Gallagher ahead of the derby:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideo...-pre-man-city-v-man-united-sky-sports-video/?

I always thought that about the Gallaghers, massive City fans who never had tickets and had seen them play 10 times in 8 years why am I not surprised at that. Not so much football fans as much as bitter people in general who just want something to hate.

I always thought that about the Gallaghers, massive City fans who never had tickets and had seen them play 10 times in 8 years why am I not surprised at that. Not so much football fans as much as bitter people in general who just want something to hate.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Their father support United and treated them badly apparently. The people you describe have always been about and they really destroy the fun of the game and turn it into something personal that has nothing to do with football. Your words actually described something I had been looking for an answer for so thank you.

On this season I must say that I was surprised today that this was only the 10th league game this season. It already feels like a very long season and I really thought more games had been played. They said United would end up getting murdered against Chelsea and City so I feel pretty good now for a United fan and LVG really has made things change. He's like a patient father making the kids learn and step by step they are getting it right.

I seem to be the only one not surprised about how well Southampton are doing. As soon as Koeman took over I knew he would turn them into a great side because people in the world of football tend to underestimate the knowledge of dutch footballers and managers. It is about time we recognised how incredibly well that small country have been over the years and how many great players, managers and teams that have come out of the country and its various regions.

You must point the finger at the men in english football and their lack of progress and small minded ignorance of the dutch. Maybe it is time the english started to realise they are no longer the great football people they think they are.

I am. I thought they were f***ed when they sold half the team in the summer. I'm delighted that they're doing so well, I really hope it continues. The Dutch without doubt hit above their station but remember for every Koeman there is a Van Gaal. Also, never forget that he's a cheating bastard.

I am. I thought they were f***ed when they sold half the team in the summer. I'm delighted that they're doing so well, I really hope it continues. The Dutch without doubt hit above their station but remember for every Koeman there is a Van Gaal. Also, never forget that he's a cheating bastard.

Why do I get a feeling you will have to eat those words and why do I feel like you should have already?

The english always envy the dutch for some reason and somehow I understand why. Say hello to your Leicester pals by the way, that curse is the worst so far when it comes to a side that beat United.

Why do I get a feeling you will have to eat those words and why do I feel like you should have already?

The english always envy the dutch for some reason and somehow I understand why. Say hello to your Leicester pals by the way, that curse is the worst so far when it comes to a side that beat United.

I imagine this is the same anonymous nutjob that turns up occasionally on the footy thread.

Which English people anywhere have anything bad to say about the Dutch regarding football or anything?

You're making the f***er up as usual.

I don't understand the Leicester comment at all, they're always going to struggle a bit this season. Lol at curse of clubs who beat Man United, haha. Still, everyone loves a lunatic.

I imagine this is the same anonymous nutjob that turns up occasionally on the footy thread.

Which English people anywhere have anything bad to say about the Dutch regarding football or anything?

I don't understand the Leicester comment at all, they're always going to struggle a bit this season. Lol at curse of clubs who beat Man United, haha. Still, everyone loves a lunatic.

The rivalry between the english and the dutch is legendary and recently Sky Sports touched on the subject. I do follow football and know about it but it seems you don't after all which surprises me. Maybe the above comment about you is correct.

Leicesters fans have been writing about the fact they haven't won since they beat United and in fact they have lost a lot of games since then. I have been looking at their various fansites and I think there are more people than me now realising that there really is a "beating Man United curse". God knows how long it will last for Leicester but this sure is the longest curse that I have seen hit a club who beat United.

Saying LVG is a failure is truly being a nutjob. When Sky Sports compared his record with Mourinho last weekend I was surprised how close he was to Mourinho in number of trophies and overall achievements. Maybe you should stick to facts and not let your personal anger issues cloud your judgement. I know these are tough times for a Fulham fan like yourself but it doesn't help if you start spreading lies all over the internet.

Speaking of nutjob and Leicester. There used to be a streaming website with the name "Nutjob". The man behind it was a Leicester fan but from what I gather he was arrested for violating copyright laws.

Back
Top Bottom