The Footy Thread

Liverpool 0 - 1 Aston Villa. If I heard correctly, Liverpool haven't beaten AV at Anfield the last four years. Astonishing.

Elsewhere, Galacticos 2.0 ain't working out to well for Real Madrid so far: 3 games, 3 pts.

Anyway, where were we again, oh yes, lol@Fulham. At least their 11 million pound man is scoring goals to put a dent into the goal difference.

And Ole Gunnar loses his job. Will be interesting to see who Cardiff appoint, I'd wager whoever it is will need to be unhinged. Billy Davies is out of a job.

I would've bet the family farm that Magath would've been sacked by yesterday morning. Matrix-like, the way Magath has dodged the bullets.

I wonder where Ole will end up. I previously thought he'd walk away unscathed because of the bizarreness of all that's happened at Cardiff, but I think he's been exposed somewhat. Billy Davies would be a great hire for Vincent Tan.

I would've bet the family farm that Magath would've been sacked by yesterday morning. Matrix-like, the way Magath has dodged the bullets.

I wonder where Ole will end up. I previously thought he'd walk away unscathed because of the bizarreness of all that's happened at Cardiff, but I think he's been exposed somewhat. Billy Davies would be a great hire for Vincent Tan.

Billy's an excellent manager but he's completely bonkers and will fall out with his own shadow, as soon as there's a bit of pressure on the wheels fall off and he's at the Chairman. I'd happily become a Cardiff fan for six months just to see the fallout from those two working together.

I was off by a day. Magath tried, but he ain't no Neo.

The odds for Fulham's next manager: Tim Sherwood, Chris Hughton, and then Kit Symons and Neil Lennon.

So what say you, Charlie?

Billy's an excellent manager but he's completely bonkers and will fall out with his own shadow, as soon as there's a bit of pressure on the wheels fall off and he's at the Chairman. I'd happily become a Cardiff fan for six months just to see the fallout from those two working together.

I feel bad for the Bluebirds, but as a neutral, it needs to happen.

I was off by a day. Magath tried, but he ain't no Neo.

The odds for Fulham's next manager: Tim Sherwood, Chris Hughton, and then Kit Symons and Neil Lennon.

So what say you, Charlie?

I feel bad for the Bluebirds, but as a neutral, it needs to happen.

Neil Lennon has a good track record, they seem to have some good players so whoever takes them on will look good. Whatever happened to Roberto Di Matteo? Surely he could do a job at one of these clubs.

Agree on Cardiff, they're the club that keep giving and Billy would be superb.

Neil Lennon has a good track record, they seem to have some good players so whoever takes them on will look good. Whatever happened to Roberto Di Matteo? Surely he could do a job at one of these clubs.

Agree on Cardiff, they're the club that keep giving and Billy would be superb.

Funny: I think it's bizarre that Di Matteo rarely gets mentioned even though he's got a fairly decent track record. Before, he was living off the Chelsea contract, but that ended this past May. Unless of course, he's waiting for a club in the CL or some such, but I don't rhink he should be holding his breath.

Speaking of Chelsea cast offs, how about the fat spanish waiter for Cardiff. Won't happen, but oh how richly entertaining that would be.

Amazing game at Leicester and even as a United fan I can appreciate the type of football that the Premier League serves up. Even though we collapsed I prefer this to how we were a year ago. I was afraid that the spending would end here so bad results right up to January may be needed to make the owners realise that we still lack a defence. Di Maria is too good for a side like United at the moment and deserves more quality around him.

I do trust LVG as he's been honest from the start and I actually think he's worked miracles already with a very poor squad and the quality added have really made a change. The results will not come this season as LVG has said and I still view this as a pre season for next season simply because of what LVG said when he took over.

I won't complain about the refereeing because every club gets bad decisions against them and this was simply due to the players at United lacking nerves and composure at the moment. Maybe LVG should have done more at 3-1 and moved Blind down and played 5 at the back but he's still taking notes and taking his time. It is weird to be caught between wanting them to do well and at the same time wanting things to go bad to force the owners out.

As kong as the scousers aren't challenging for the title then all is good.

Didn't see that one coming. Saying that, some Leicester fans I know were sounding chirpy about it this morning. They'll be even chirpier now.

Didn't see that one coming. Saying that, some Leicester fans I know were sounding chirpy about it this morning. They'll be even chirpier now.

...and for you as a Fulham fan it could be worse cause you could have been us (Man United).

I don't support Fulham. Both have been quite comical this year though. I think it's healthy to be terrible at times, it gives perspective.

That is true for some but a club like Fulham could easily disappear like others have whereas for United it certainly gives perspective and also flexes the economic muscles that haven't been used much until of late. These are indeed interesting times as a United fan and I see many parallels with when Fergie took over. He nearly had us relegated before winning the FA Cup which was the start of it all.

The mistake was not to buy a central defender because letting go of Rio and Vidic was just a too big a gap to not fill with any replacement in that position. At the same time that shows how LVG chose to focus on other parts of the team and wait for the right time to get defenders cause the ones he wanted may not be available at the moment for him so he left that for later. One thing is for certain now and that is that the Ronaldo return rumour won't quiet down.

I think it is all over despite Chelsea only getting a draw playing with a man more at City. Lampard scoring for City against Chelsea will make all the headlines and I wonder how Drew felt as that one went in.

Could not see City struggling in the league as they have of late and it won't get easier with the games in Europe, they really are a weird side when they are champions. Good draw for the league but for me the league title has been decided already in September, Jose simply will not let this slip and as a United fan I prefer that to the other options available.

Everton must be the most frustrating side to support and couldn't handle a game in Europe plus the league and of course lost at home to Palace. Same old story there, they are going nowhere.

People talk about Fulham with some affection as a top flight club but straight up they were a fore runner to your Chelsea's and Man City's. They've always been a lower tier club although I did like their promotion winning team with Saha and co. They're just re-finding their natural level.

I'm still not sure about Van Gaal, I don't think he's a patch on Ferguson although in fairness to him he's arrived at a very bad time. He doesn't tend to last too long at overseas clubs plus he's cracking on a bit so it will be interesting to see how much headway he makes in sorting Man U out. Managers have to get things right in the short term too and crap runs can be very hard to snap out of. I still think Man U should have snapped up Mourinho when they had the chance.

People talk about Fulham with some affection as a top flight club but straight up they were a fore runner to your Chelsea's and Man City's. They've always been a lower tier club although I did like their promotion winning team with Saha and co. They're just re-finding their natural level.

I'm still not sure about Van Gaal, I don't think he's a patch on Ferguson although in fairness to him he's arrived at a very bad time. He doesn't tend to last too long at overseas clubs plus he's cracking on a bit so it will be interesting to see how much headway he makes in sorting Man U out. Managers have to get things right in the short term too and crap runs can be very hard to snap out of. I still think Man U should have snapped up Mourinho when they had the chance.

I think Jose became an enemy of the football family during his troubled stay in Spain and United hesitated because of that. At the moment it is going well but his attack on City for spending was a bit rich coming from him and that club. I can well see him getting so many enemies in the english game he will be off to elsewhere. Despite the start, that did include promoted and quite weak sides until today, his return to Chelsea haven't proved much so far. United chose LVG because of his contacts and those star players would never have joined United without him but it is a bit silly that Sky Sports today called United Galacticos because the Real Madrid side that got the same nickname would never have had players like Evans and Smalling to name but two. But what he's built in this short time may well be turned into Galacticos but I think LVG and United prefer a new nickname.

LVG has began at the front instead of the back like most if not all managers have done to build a side up again. That shows the man goes his own way in everything he does. He chose to defend the defenders after the game today and still maintains that the players need to adapt to his system. They haven't yet been able to control the ball properly and that was obvious today. At the same time it was the first game in a long time where United played great attacking football with flair and that has been missing. I still maintain that LVG is shrude enough to realise that for him to be given the means necessary to get more players who can deliver from day one he needs to balance the results in the first months. His statement from the start was that it would take 3 months for anything to settle and a year for any real improvement. There is no doubt that he is there for the long term and long term today means 4-5 years. I also believe that Jurgen Klopp will take over from him in about that time but if things go well in future LVG may well stay on longer. In football things can change fast and in a month or two things may be totally different for a lot of clubs.

I think Jose became an enemy of the football family during his troubled stay in Spain and United hesitated because of that. At the moment it is going well but his attack on City for spending was a bit rich coming from him and that club. I can well see him getting so many enemies in the english game he will be off to elsewhere. Despite the start, that did include promoted and quite weak sides until today, his return to Chelsea haven't proved much so far. United chose LVG because of his contacts and those star players would never have joined United without him but it is a bit silly that Sky Sports today called United Galacticos because the Real Madrid side that got the same nickname would never have had players like Evans and Smalling to name but two. But what he's built in this short time may well be turned into Galacticos but I think LVG and United prefer a new nickname.

Mourinho has the touch of a Ferguson or Clough about him and imo he's the best manager in the country. At 63 is Van Gaal, who's never done more than a couple of years stint outside of his home country the man for the long haul? A bloke who alienates half of his playing staff while bringing new players in? For me a good manager gets the most out of his players rather than just opening his cheque book and ignore book.

The other anon's suggest of Klopp makes far more sense. If he follows Van Gaal your lot will fly. I know you think I'm anti Man U, I'm not, I just think your boss isn't the messiah you hope he is.

Mourinho has the touch of a Ferguson or Clough about him and imo he's the best manager in the country. At 63 is Van Gaal, who's never done more than a couple of years stint outside of his home country the man for the long haul? A bloke who alienates half of his playing staff while bringing new players in? For me a good manager gets the most out of his players rather than just opening his cheque book and ignore book.

The other anon's suggest of Klopp makes far more sense. If he follows Van Gaal your lot will fly. I know you think I'm anti Man U, I'm not, I just think your boss isn't the messiah you hope he is.

No, I totally respect your opinion and in a world where people barely manage to mask who they love and hate in football it is clear you have the heart in the right place when it comes to discussing the game. I don't see LVG as a Messiah but he's the type of boss any company would need to change direction and turn a new leaf. I think he's done a lot of great things but those that criticise him seem to forget how much harm Moyes did to the club from players to fans and even to the tea lady. She will not have enough confidence to pour water in a cup for LVG but maybe in time she will.

Back
Top Bottom