The Footy Thread

Another german football education for City in the Champions League. Tricky Roma as italians are always a tactical nightmare and a cold shoulder in Moscow. Same old story for City?
The pressure is on and will they bottle it in Europe again?

As a United fan I am so grateful that there is a club like Chelsea to bail us out every now and then. Last season they turned into a banana skin for Liverpool to slip on to make way for City and today they beat Everton away in a crazy game while City lost at home to Stoke. I bet Mark Hughes loved that a lot since he used to be City manager and is a Chelsea fan.
Speaking of Chelsea Richard Attenborough was a massive Chelsea fan according to Man United legend Paddy Crerand, who during his own tv show on Manchester United TV on Monday, said he became a friend with Attenborough much to Paddy's own surprise.
If Mourinho does not win the league for a second season in a row I will spice up the Smiths shirt I will eat if Fabregas still plays regularly in November/December by putting the strongest chilli on the market all over it.

Somewhere out yonder, David Moyes finds it all very amusing.

No, I think even he realises the massive difference a year makes cause of the owners finally letting a United manager spend big time. United a year ago was heading nowhere and it was a season of total waste. Now the club is changing a lot in a short time and it is the same feeling as when Fergie took over, very exciting and positive. I actually think Moyes is still feeling let down and feeling even worse now than he did when he got the sack. Somehow the Premier League has always had managers coming to England to change the style of the game. There is no doubt Van Gaal believes in his system and he made it clear early on it will take time and he will be given that time.
I think most United fans realised Moyes would fail and it was clear from the start he did not have the trust of the players and the owners. Things at United may look bad in the table but compared to a year ago United are like champions now and that is because of the off field activity. Never have we seen a 2 week international break come more handy and City losing made the break even better. Chelsea will win the title handsomely and yet again City will fail to defend a title and we will all have to realise they still haven't proved to be real champions. The more they win the less they are able to prove themselves it seems.

Man U's persistent slump is obviously funny. I don't like three at the back unless you're players have grown up playing it, it essentially becomes five at the back so you're playing with a man down up field and your defenders tend to not know their arse from their elbow 'cause there's an extra one thrown in there. Still, what do I know?

Looking at other teams I think I was a bit hard on Southampton, there's some proper crap in the mix this year. Crystal Palace employing Colin Wanker should see them bottom.

Man U's persistent slump is obviously funny. I don't like three at the back unless you're players have grown up playing it, it essentially becomes five at the back so you're playing with a man down up field and your defenders tend to not know their arse from their elbow 'cause there's an extra one thrown in there. Still, what do I know?

Looking at other teams I think I was a bit hard on Southampton, there's some proper crap in the mix this year. Crystal Palace employing Colin Wanker should see them bottom.

I can understand why Uniteds present situation maybe funny for neutrals, but not as funny as Jukebox Jurys absence today, maybe we won't need to wait until March for a blue meltdown.

I can understand why Uniteds present situation maybe funny for neutrals, but not as funny as Jukebox Jurys absence today, maybe we won't need to wait until March for a blue meltdown.

Ha! He has been a bit lively of late.

Chelsea were impressive yesterday, usually when Everton are looking that resilient they get something but yesterday it was just a battering. If that Costa's shooting was as good as his movement he'd get about 60 goals this season but he's a bit like Andy Cole in that respect. He'll still score a hatful.

Ha! He has been a bit lively of late.

Chelsea were impressive yesterday, usually when Everton are looking that resilient they get something but yesterday it was just a battering. If that Costa's shooting was as good as his movement he'd get about 60 goals this season but he's a bit like Andy Cole in that respect. He'll still score a hatful.

Beating Everton is never impressive, they always collapse in games. First they give away a 2-0 lead at home to Arsenal and were hanging on for a point in the end and then this game against Chelsea described by some media as a joke. Everton is all talk and no action and they will have yet another frustrating season just outside the battle for european places or even further down the table. I am just amazed that the different starts United and City have had and the difference is just 4 points.
Spurs always get beat at home to Liverpool and today was no different and back to earth they came the Spurs fans and even they are just 4 points ahead of United which is not a lot when you consider how bad United have started.

For all the hoo haa surrounding Arsenal and coming out of the club they still find themselves on 5 points just 3 ahead of United and should be thankful they are still unbeaten. It would be fun to see a side like Swansea continue their great start but sadly fairytales will always come to an end. Every season I am always reminded that football fans have very short memories. They always forget how the form comes and goes and that the difference before and after an international break can be massive. They also forget how long a season is and how much that happens during one. We've not even been served the starter and during the season every fan will sound like Gordon Ramsay in a kitchen.

No, I think even he realises the massive difference a year makes cause of the owners finally letting a United manager spend big time. United a year ago was heading nowhere and it was a season of total waste. Now the club is changing a lot in a short time and it is the same feeling as when Fergie took over, very exciting and positive. I actually think Moyes is still feeling let down and feeling even worse now than he did when he got the sack. Somehow the Premier League has always had managers coming to England to change the style of the game. There is no doubt Van Gaal believes in his system and he made it clear early on it will take time and he will be given that time.
I think most United fans realised Moyes would fail and it was clear from the start he did not have the trust of the players and the owners. Things at United may look bad in the table but compared to a year ago United are like champions now and that is because of the off field activity. Never have we seen a 2 week international break come more handy and City losing made the break even better. Chelsea will win the title handsomely and yet again City will fail to defend a title and we will all have to realise they still haven't proved to be real champions. The more they win the less they are able to prove themselves it seems.

You think Moyes is feeling worse? You, sir, are out of your mind. Moyes came out of that dismissal looking like a talentless buffoon. Now, after all that Utd have spent, after hiring a supposed master tactician, and after getting largely similar results, one could easily conclude that the failure of last year perhaps was not Moyes’ fault after all. And that is why I suspect Moyes is enjoying this bit of schadenfreude.

Furthermore, I think it’s not altogether true Utd didn't at least try to spend. During the transfer windows, Utd were putting out their tentacles everywhere, but they simply had no takers. And even further, let’s not forget that they did break the transfer fee record in getting Mata.

Also, your statement that “most United fans realised Moyes would fail” is incorrect. Almost every single person thought Utd would vie for the title. I defy you to find a single person who even thought that Utd would place outside of top four and outside of Europe. That simply didn’t happen.

Beating Everton is never impressive, they always collapse in games. First they give away a 2-0 lead at home to Arsenal and were hanging on for a point in the end and then this game against Chelsea described by some media as a joke. Everton is all talk and no action and they will have yet another frustrating season just outside the battle for european places or even further down the table. I am just amazed that the different starts United and City have had and the difference is just 4 points.
Spurs always get beat at home to Liverpool and today was no different and back to earth they came the Spurs fans and even they are just 4 points ahead of United which is not a lot when you consider how bad United have started.

Oh, come now. Beating Everton at Goodison is a great result that every club would relish.

You think Moyes is feeling worse? You, sir, are out of your mind. Moyes came out of that dismissal looking like a talentless buffoon. Now, after all that Utd have spent, after hiring a supposed master tactician, and after getting largely similar results, one could easily conclude that the failure of last year perhaps was not Moyes’ fault after all. And that is why I suspect Moyes is enjoying this bit of schadenfreude.

Furthermore, I think it’s not altogether true Utd didn't at least try to spend. During the transfer windows, Utd were putting out their tentacles everywhere, but they simply had no takers. And even further, let’s not forget that they did break the transfer fee record in getting Mata.

Also, your statement that “most United fans realised Moyes would fail” is incorrect. Almost every single person thought Utd would vie for the title. I defy you to find a single person who even thought that Utd would place outside of top four and outside of Europe. That simply didn’t happen.

Course he feels worse now seeing how the new manager gets to spend and has the backing of all inside the club. If you cannot realise that you perhaps should stop throwing stones in your glass house.
United fans did not think Moyes would succeed, you simply do not know any it seems or forgot the tension and debate during his time. You mention Mata and compared to know that is a laughable attempt to make some sense to your otherwise very inconsistent post. Try looking at the bigger picture the next time.

Oh, come now. Beating Everton at Goodison is a great result that every club would relish.

People have done this for centuries now, claiming that Everton are a big club when we all know they are not. Please tell me when they last won a trophy and were you even born then?
They have made it a trademark of their own to collapse in games and are well known for being the nearly men of the Premier League. I don't even think the toffee is that good to be honest.

Anonymous said:
Course he feels worse now seeing how the new manager gets to spend and has the backing of all inside the club. If you cannot realise that you perhaps should stop throwing stones in your glass house.
United fans did not think Moyes would succeed, you simply do not know any it seems or forgot the tension and debate during his time. You mention Mata and compared to know that is a laughable attempt to make some sense to your otherwise very inconsistent post. Try looking at the bigger picture the next time.

So Moyes didn’t get to spend? Well, it just so happens that during Moyes’ tenure, Man Utd spent more money than any year before. EVER. Ya dork.

Plus Utd were qilling to break the bank further. The only reason why they didn't break their record by a wider margin is because no one wanted to sell to Utd and/or none of those sought midfielders wanted to come here. Let me spell it out for you more clearly: Utd were ready, willing and able to spend for Moyes. Even further, the club DID back him. It all went to shit only later.

And how much more backing do you need when Fergie himself anointed Moyes. They placed the banner calling Moyes the chosen one. Utd supporters backed Moyes at the outset. Utd supporters were rather uniformly predicting a strong challenge for the title. Consistently, the press all predicted that Utd would finish top four in the very least if not winning the league outright. The waning support from the supporters that you’re talking about came later when Moyes kept dropping too many points.

Anonymous said:
People have done this for centuries now, claiming that Everton are a big club when we all know they are not. Please tell me when they last won a trophy and were you even born then?
They have made it a trademark of their own to collapse in games and are well known for being the nearly men of the Premier League. I don't even think the toffee is that good to be honest.

Your reading comprehension is awful. Charlie never claimed that Everton were a big club. Neither did I. Everton are perennial ‘almosts’. Everyone knows that.

Apart from reading comprehension problems, you can’t seem to grasp the rather simple notion: Everton being perennial ‘almosts’ is not mutually exclusive of the fact that winning at Goodison is a great result. To suggest otherwise tells me all that I really need to know about your intellectual capabilities, or lack thereof.

So Moyes didn’t get to spend? Well, it just so happens that during Moyes’ tenure, Man Utd spent more money than any year before. EVER. Ya dork.

Plus Utd were qilling to break the bank further. The only reason why they didn't break their record by a wider margin is because no one wanted to sell to Utd and/or none of those sought midfielders wanted to come here. Let me spell it out for you more clearly: Utd were ready, willing and able to spend for Moyes. Even further, the club DID back him. It all went to shit only later.

And how much more backing do you need when Fergie himself anointed Moyes. They placed the banner calling Moyes the chosen one. Utd supporters backed Moyes at the outset. Utd supporters were rather uniformly predicting a strong challenge for the title. Consistently, the press all predicted that Utd would finish top four in the very least if not winning the league outright. The waning support from the supporters that you’re talking about came later when Moyes kept dropping too many points.

Your reading comprehension is awful. Charlie never claimed that Everton were a big club. Neither did I. Everton are perennial ‘almosts’. Everyone knows that.

Apart from reading comprehension problems, you can’t seem to grasp the rather simple notion: Everton being perennial ‘almosts’ is not mutually exclusive of the fact that winning at Goodison is a great result. To suggest otherwise tells me all that I really need to know about your intellectual capabilities, or lack thereof.

You're struggling so much to defend indefendable viewpoints that it is impossible to debate with you. You just came into this debate from the wrong angle and now nothing can save you I'm afraid. You compare a failure and little spending with totally rebuilding the club and spending loads. I just suspect that you do not like United and want to paint a vulgar picture and there is simply no way to reason with you. Your track record in this thread isn't the best and we all know what drives you on and it's not love for football or any sort of knowledge on the game. Your sort of rants belong in the stands with the hooligans.

My take on Moyes is that he was backed by the club and fans at the start but there were other things at play. Ferguson's badgering of ref tomfoolery bought United shitloads of points a year which ultimately, unless the new manager was Mourinho, it's unlikely they'd have got those points again. Ferguson was also hanging over the place like a bad penny, if you're a big figure at a club you need to do a disappearing act when you leave like Clough did when he retired. Plus Ferguson would have known that he'd filled the team up with shite like Ashley Young and giving that twonk Rooney a massive contract despite having loads of chances to get shot of him. Van Persie being out for ages didn't help much either. Then Man U fans, like most others of big clubs these days shit their pants if they're not in the top four so the knives were soon out.

I'm not convinced on Van Gaal because he seems inflexible but I don't think it matters who the boss is there as when you get shot of the sort of continuity Man U have had things are always going to fall to pieces for a bit. See Liverpool after their run of bosses ran out or Forest after Clough. It's just what happens.

My take on Moyes is that he was backed by the club and fans at the start but there were other things at play. Ferguson's badgering of ref tomfoolery bought United shitloads of points a year which ultimately, unless the new manager was Mourinho, it's unlikely they'd have got those points again. Ferguson was also hanging over the place like a bad penny, if you're a big figure at a club you need to do a disappearing act when you leave like Clough did when he retired. Plus Ferguson would have known that he'd filled the team up with shite like Ashley Young and giving that twonk Rooney a massive contract despite having loads of chances to get shot of him. Van Persie being out for ages didn't help much either. Then Man U fans, like most others of big clubs these days shit their pants if they're not in the top four so the knives were soon out.

I'm not convinced on Van Gaal because he seems inflexible but I don't think it matters who the boss is there as when you get shot of the sort of continuity Man U have had things are always going to fall to pieces for a bit. See Liverpool after their run of bosses ran out or Forest after Clough. It's just what happens.

Even though I do not agree with everything you say I do however appreciate that you have managed to see the bigger picture and realised that there were more going on under Moyes than some people believe. At this moment in time I actually suspect that Moyes was brought in as a puppet in wait for Van Gaal to end his job with the Holland side.
"Roy Keane" makes a silly comparison above with United last year and now and the difference could not be bigger. Fellaini was brought in and then Moyes had to wait for Mata who came in January. Under Van Gaal United have managed to buy several world class players and of course Van Gaal has masterminded the start of the season to put pressure on the owners to invest.

You simply do not play as good as United did in America and then come back to England and stop doing all the good things you did on the pre season tour. The signs were there at home to Valencia before the season started which had me realise that the start of the season would not be great at all. The way Van Gaal tends to every detail and even trains the players at taking corners, something the players never did under Fergie, shows his total focus on every aspect of the game. To say that such a detailed individual wouldn't play mind games with the owners would be pretty stupid. He's got his wish now and is bringing in the players he wanted at the club. The haters are gonna hate but we United fans just love love love.

I complained a few weeks ago about how money has destroyed the game and was attacked by Phill the City fan for it. I am a United fan and I still feel this has spiralled out of control. There simply is no way this can continue without someone suffering big time soon. I still maintain it has ruined the fun of the game and turned it into something else because the sums branded about now is just complete madness.
Chelsea and City are to blame and it is typical that foreign investors destroyed the culture of our beautiful game.

Back
Top Bottom