What do you all do for a living?

I am the substitute teacher you WISH you had in high school! My job consists of basically hugging students, telling my kids that sex is the best way to ruin a good friendship, and declaring that the school/teacher does not give me (1) passwords to the computer (2) answers to the assignment (3) keys to the classroom (4) permission to call their friends out of their class. Recently I was voted Most Likely to Win a Rap Battle. A visit to Wal*Mart on a typical day is cause for more hugs and introductions to parents as "The Best Sub Ever". I LOVE my job.

I am the substitute teacher you WISH you had in high school! My job consists of basically hugging students, telling my kids that sex is the best way to ruin a good friendship, and declaring that the school/teacher does not give me (1) passwords to the computer (2) answers to the assignment (3) keys to the classroom (4) permission to call their friends out of their class. Recently I was voted Most Likely to Win a Rap Battle. A visit to Wal*Mart on a typical day is cause for more hugs and introductions to parents as "The Best Sub Ever". I LOVE my job.

What?

I quit my job and look after the house and kid now. And on Fridays I deliver beer for a friends microbrewery.

I'm an office manager for a large store. Although I have to deal with people throughout the day I have alot of boring paper to do in the office. I always have my earbuds in! Everone knows to knock loud and longer to get my attention. It's just an accepted thing, I need to listen to music or I'd fall asleep or die of boredom. This is the best part of my job. i like to explore new music (my new fave thing is Spotify) at work. At some point during the day it always feels like time for Morrissey!

part-time dishwasher, part-time substitute teacher...full-time underachiever

I'm a spook for a foreign power, trading/hiding as a private investigator and/or mental patient.
Both disguises work reasonably well most of the time.
No one will believe that, but it's absolutely true. My presence here is part of that subtefuge.

I also do corporate awayday facilitation crap for a friend's company. And I'm a recovering gigolo.
but I've suffered catastrophic illness after violent crime and a car crash with all sorts of mTBI/PTSD crap to navigate and major physical rehabilitation.

I live a life of luxury and privilege partly through luck (gambling), partly through inheritance, but mostly through being an absolute workaholic for 4 years with one of the largest energy corporations in the world, which ended with me getting an enormous pay-off to protect commercial dynamite info I had and which could never be revealed. Ever.

I'm deciding whether to officially retire or go back in to bat one last time. I'd like to work with old folk, children, plants or animals.

Some cool livelihoods. It's always interesting to speculate who's behind the screen-name, but ultimately pointless as this is only teh Inturanet, not Reality.

regards.

part-time dishwasher, part-time substitute teacher...full-time underachiever
back when this place was much busier I often thought that most of the regulars here suffered from a serious lack of work :eek:
it did not excuse much of what was posted, but does explain a lot of it :o
&
I'm an office manager for a large store. Although I have to deal with people throughout the day I have alot of boring paper to do in the office. I always have my earbuds in! Everone knows to knock loud and longer to get my attention. It's just an accepted thing, I need to listen to music or I'd fall asleep or die of boredom. This is the best part of my job. i like to explore new music (my new fave thing is Spotify) at work. At some point during the day it always feels like time for Morrissey!
wow, I hope that works out for you :straightface:
see, I had a boss, when I first came here to China that did the same thing
the earbud thing I mean, he'd done it since taking the job I guess, way before I got here
and even though I considered him alrite, maybe because I almost never needed to bother him?
but everyone else thought of him as an asocial prick and was happy to see him go :eek:
I thought about it for a while, and all I could figure is that it was the darn earbuds and the efforts many had to go to get his attention...

wow, I hope that works out for you :straightface:
see, I had a boss, when I first came here to China that did the same thing
the earbud thing I mean, he'd done it since taking the job I guess, way before I got here
and even though I considered him alrite, maybe because I almost never needed to bother him?

It already didn't.:tears:

I didn't get fired, just asked to stop. Alas, all good things must come to an end :rolleyes:

Playworker and Teaching Assistant...although I wouldn't mind working in a library if the hours were good.

Playworker and Teaching Assistant...although I wouldn't mind working in a library if the hours were good.

Libraries nowdays are full of young hipsters all talking about their band that they are in during their lunch break! If you want to emigrate to Auckland there are plenty of library jobs on offer. Unlike the UK where libraries seem to under threat of closure.

Libraries nowdays are full of young hipsters all talking about their band that they are in during their lunch break! If you want to emigrate to Auckland there are plenty of library jobs on offer. Unlike the UK where libraries seem to under threat of closure.

Well I plan to give this career 2-3 years and if I'm not happy then there is always a chance I may travel elsewhere for my career change. I'll just have to see where my skills lies, I'm still very young.

I'm a spook for a foreign power, trading/hiding as a private investigator and/or mental patient.
Both disguises work reasonably well most of the time.
No one will believe that, but it's absolutely true. My presence here is part of that subtefuge.

I also do corporate awayday facilitation crap for a friend's company. And I'm a recovering gigolo.
but I've suffered catastrophic illness after violent crime and a car crash with all sorts of mTBI/PTSD crap to navigate and major physical rehabilitation.

I live a life of luxury and privilege partly through luck (gambling), partly through inheritance, but mostly through being an absolute workaholic for 4 years with one of the largest energy corporations in the world, which ended with me getting an enormous pay-off to protect commercial dynamite info I had and which could never be revealed. Ever.

I'm deciding whether to officially retire or go back in to bat one last time. I'd like to work with old folk, children, plants or animals.

Some cool livelihoods. It's always interesting to speculate who's behind the screen-name, but ultimately pointless as this is only teh Inturanet, not Reality.

regards.

I really like this guy, a very bright puppy who never fails to entertain with his wit and wisdom. Don't leave....

I do not do anything for a living since I retired early many years ago and one might say I am living the dream. I mean I am living the dream as most others cannot handle not working and being at home a lot but I share that with Ozzy who also prefers the home to going out. Some of us are like that and we are a rare breed.

Having never had any ambition at all and hating to work I sometimes pinch myself to realise that this is actually real. Lucky to live where it is possible to retire early and still enjoy a decent income and afford all the things people around me have. Would not go back to the old life but I have had a lot of jobs and the list is long but nothing ever interested me the slightest and I never felt a need to become someone or something.

I doono believe in the middle class as those are people that have to work for a living so for me there are only working class and upper class, it really is that simple. I enjoy being able to sleep for 10 hours and staying up late and sleeping away the horrible mornings up until 1 or 2 in the afternoon when life and people seem to work a lot better and things do not feel gloomy and grey.

I do not miss colleagues that you have to see every working day and hear their stories that made life come across as something bleak and very limited. People work to afford things and to be able to live in a decent way and they are all slaves but in a modern way and I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for them and it's probably wrong to feel that way but I can't help it.

All the people that were older than me worked and then they died and very rarely did they have a life after their old age retirement and no one ever thanked them. I do not think many of us will work in the future like people do now and I have no idea how we will survive or get by but by then maybe we do not have a world anyway.

I keep fit and and love shopping and take the car for a drive and watching films and tv and follow sports. I was blessed with being a calm and collected person that never feel bored or restless and what I need I have at home apart from what I need to eat and drink. I am blessed in a way that few are but most people need to work and be someone to fill the void and to satisfy that ambition drive that make most people hunt and search for an answer in the external.

May they all find it like me but in a different way!

...ager

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are right. There is working class and ruling class. The workers create the wealth and the rulers take the lion's share. The workers are too dumb to figure it out and instead stab each other in the backs and keep their lips on the rulers' booties. So sad. Wage slavery is exploitation. Through my work as a self employed research attorney I discovered that some free slaves said that wage slavery was worse than plain slavery. Sad. Unfortunately, many people are stuck between a rock and a hard place and need that wage for survival.

I do not do anything for a living since I retired early many years ago and one might say I am living the dream. I mean I am living the dream as most others cannot handle not working and being at home a lot but I share that with Ozzy who also prefers the home to going out. Some of us are like that and we are a rare breed.

Having never had any ambition at all and hating to work I sometimes pinch myself to realise that this is actually real. Lucky to live where it is possible to retire early and still enjoy a decent income and afford all the things people around me have. Would not go back to the old life but I have had a lot of jobs and the list is long but nothing ever interested me the slightest and I never felt a need to become someone or something.

I doono believe in the middle class as those are people that have to work for a living so for me there are only working class and upper class, it really is that simple. I enjoy being able to sleep for 10 hours and staying up late and sleeping away the horrible mornings up until 1 or 2 in the afternoon when life and people seem to work a lot better and things do not feel gloomy and grey.

I do not miss colleagues that you have to see every working day and hear their stories that made life come across as something bleak and very limited. People work to afford things and to be able to live in a decent way and they are all slaves but in a modern way and I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for them and it's probably wrong to feel that way but I can't help it.

All the people that were older than me worked and then they died and very rarely did they have a life after their old age retirement and no one ever thanked them. I do not think many of us will work in the future like people do now and I have no idea how we will survive or get by but by then maybe we do not have a world anyway.

I keep fit and and love shopping and take the car for a drive and watching films and tv and follow sports. I was blessed with being a calm and collected person that never feel bored or restless and what I need I have at home apart from what I need to eat and drink. I am blessed in a way that few are but most people need to work and be someone to fill the void and to satisfy that ambition drive that make most people hunt and search for an answer in the external.

May they all find it like me but in a different way!

Yes, you are right. There is working class and ruling class. The workers create the wealth and the rulers take the lion's share. The workers are too dumb to figure it out and instead stab each other in the backs and keep their lips on the rulers' booties. So sad. Wage slavery is exploitation. Through my work as a self employed research attorney I discovered that some free slaves said that wage slavery was worse than plain slavery. Sad. Unfortunately, many people are stuck between a rock and a hard place and need that wage for survival.

I rarely respond to "Anonymous" but this one, sort of, got me where I use to live mentally and that is being so concerned with the whole "class struggle" thing
It use to prey on my mind and to no positive effect really, but that was before I found something I really enjoy doing and am good at. Also, it does not hurt that I feel like I am providing a service that, in its own small way, makes the world a better place.
So the wrongness of the "idle rich" staying rich and more "deserving" others staying poor does not cross my mind as often as it use to.
Honestly? I mainly feel sorry for those that take way more than they give, they have missed the point to life.
Don't get me wrong, I work towards a better world where the "haves" & "have nots" is a thing of the past. I just find my language and emotions about it come from a very different place.
One I would have never considered myself coming to from the nihilistic, Marxist, angry prick I once was...

Back
Top Bottom