Recommend something, anything

Gordon Parks 1950s photo essay on Civil Right's Era America.

o-GR-900.jpg

This one hits a nerve, it's Years of Refusal. She's holding some rich woman's baby when she has her own at home wondering where she's at.
slide_364586_4134088_free.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ref=world&ir=World&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010

“The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,” Shakespeare wrote, “have such seething brains, such shaping fantasies.” Their imaginations give “to airy nothing a local habitation and a name.” A seething brain can be a great asset for an artist, but, like Knausgaard’s churning, gray-green swell, it can be dangerous too. Inspired metaphors, paranormal beliefs, conspiracy theories, and delusional episodes may all exist on a single spectrum, recent research suggests. The name for the concept that links them is apophenia.

Apophenia, he said, was a weakness of human cognition: the “pervasive tendency … to see order in random configurations,” an “unmotivated seeing of connections,” the experience of “delusion as revelation.” On the phone he unveiled his favorite formulation yet: “the tendency to be overwhelmed by meaningful coincidences.”

It is not just poets and the supernaturally suggestible (believers in witchcraft, Bigfoot, or psychic auras) who seem disposed to find signals in static. It is men and women suffering from schizophrenia, and perhaps bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder as well.

According to the researchers at University College, London, “[t]here is now considerable evidence that high schizotypes … show a greater tendency to see patterns in random configurations and perceive meaning in coincidental events.”

Read More: It’s All Connected ~What links creativity, conspiracy theories, and delusions? A phenomenon called apophenia.

Last edited:
I recommend this article on pseudo intellectualism from Wikipedia.

pseudointellectual

Etymology
pseudo- (“false, fake”) +‎ intellectual

Noun
pseudointellectual (plural pseudointellectuals)

A person who affects proficiency in scholarly and artistic pursuits whilst lacking any in-depth knowledge or critical understanding of such topics.
A person who pretends to be of greater intelligence than he or she in fact is.
2002 September 3, Cyber Cypher, “The sign of pseudo-intellectual”, alt.usage.english, Usenet:
The telltale sign of a pseudo intellectual is the superficial sprinkling and misuse of terms like "paradigm shift" and name dropping

Usage notes

Usage is fraught, and pseudointellectual may be used as a general term of abuse for intellectuals one dislikes or disagrees with. Nevertheless, in more careful use a rather clear distinction is drawn:[1] a pseudointellectual is someone dishonestly or insincerely using the language, style, or topics of an intellectual, but who lacks the goals, morals, or ability of a “genuine” intellectual. It is someone who acts pretentiously and wishes to win an argument or impress, rather than modestly trying to find the truth – a focus on surface and rhetoric over content. These often involve a superficial understanding of a subject and condescension to the audience, as well as possible self-delusion (not being consciously dishonest, but rather sincerely thinking oneself to be behaving as a genuine intellectual despite one's incompetence).

Synonyms
pseud
pseudo
See also
See also Wikisaurus:deceiver
charlatan
fraud
sophist
Adjective
pseudointellectual (comparative more pseudointellectual, superlative most pseudointellectual)

From an article on beijinger.com

An intellectual doesn't care about "smart topics." Depending on the time period and culture, there are certain things "one should know." Nowadays, the main signifier is politics. "Smart people" are "well informed" about politics. An intellectual might happen to be interested in politics. But if he's more interested in pasta, he'll study that instead. He follows his brain wherever it leads him.

A pseudo-intellection will always be on the lookout for "smart topics." He's very concerned with what books one should read, what movies one should see, and what facts one should know.

If you say to an intellectual, "I'm going to tell you the answer to a question, but you can't share the answer with anyone else, and you can't even tell anyone you know the answer," he'll say, "Okay. Tell me."

If you say the same thing to a pseudo-intellectual, he'll say, "Don't bother."

A pseudo-intellectual, on Quora, will look at certain questions and say, "That's a stupid question" or "You're clearly trolling." He is concerned with ranking intelligence. He is concerned with motivations for asking questions.

An intellectual on Quora is concerned with whether or not a question is answerable -- at least in theory. He doesn't much care about why the question was asked. He cares about the question itself. And he's often found that when you closely examine "stupid questions" or even "troll questions" -- when you take them seriously and try to answer them -- the answers are elusive, complex and fascinating.

Last edited:
Next time you are at the market, grab a 3.7 ounce bag of Bugles corn snacks. Hold it up to your ear and shake gently. The sound it makes is wonderful.

images

We had breakfast at a restaurant on Route 66 called Flappy Jack's this morning. It was perhaps the best Belgian Waffle I've had in my life.

I recommend this article on pseudo intellectualism from Wikipedia.

pseudointellectual

Etymology
pseudo- (“false, fake”) +‎ intellectual

Noun
pseudointellectual (plural pseudointellectuals)

A person who affects proficiency in scholarly and artistic pursuits whilst lacking any in-depth knowledge or critical understanding of such topics.
A person who pretends to be of greater intelligence than he or she in fact is.
2002 September 3, Cyber Cypher, “The sign of pseudo-intellectual”, alt.usage.english, Usenet:
The telltale sign of a pseudo intellectual is the superficial sprinkling and misuse of terms like "paradigm shift" and name dropping

Usage notes

Usage is fraught, and pseudointellectual may be used as a general term of abuse for intellectuals one dislikes or disagrees with. Nevertheless, in more careful use a rather clear distinction is drawn:[1] a pseudointellectual is someone dishonestly or insincerely using the language, style, or topics of an intellectual, but who lacks the goals, morals, or ability of a “genuine” intellectual. It is someone who acts pretentiously and wishes to win an argument or impress, rather than modestly trying to find the truth – a focus on surface and rhetoric over content. These often involve a superficial understanding of a subject and condescension to the audience, as well as possible self-delusion (not being consciously dishonest, but rather sincerely thinking oneself to be behaving as a genuine intellectual despite one's incompetence).

Synonyms
pseud
pseudo
See also
See also Wikisaurus:deceiver
charlatan
fraud
sophist
Adjective
pseudointellectual (comparative more pseudointellectual, superlative most pseudointellectual)

From an article on beijinger.com

An intellectual doesn't care about "smart topics." Depending on the time period and culture, there are certain things "one should know." Nowadays, the main signifier is politics. "Smart people" are "well informed" about politics. An intellectual might happen to be interested in politics. But if he's more interested in pasta, he'll study that instead. He follows his brain wherever it leads him.

A pseudo-intellection will always be on the lookout for "smart topics." He's very concerned with what books one should read, what movies one should see, and what facts one should know.

If you say to an intellectual, "I'm going to tell you the answer to a question, but you can't share the answer with anyone else, and you can't even tell anyone you know the answer," he'll say, "Okay. Tell me."

If you say the same thing to a pseudo-intellectual, he'll say, "Don't bother."

A pseudo-intellectual, on Quora, will look at certain questions and say, "That's a stupid question" or "You're clearly trolling." He is concerned with ranking intelligence. He is concerned with motivations for asking questions.

An intellectual on Quora is concerned with whether or not a question is answerable -- at least in theory. He doesn't much care about why the question was asked. He cares about the question itself. And he's often found that when you closely examine "stupid questions" or even "troll questions" -- when you take them seriously and try to answer them -- the answers are elusive, complex and fascinating.

“The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,” Shakespeare wrote, “have such seething brains, such shaping fantasies.” Their imaginations give “to airy nothing a local habitation and a name.” A seething brain can be a great asset for an artist, but, like Knausgaard’s churning, gray-green swell, it can be dangerous too. Inspired metaphors, paranormal beliefs, conspiracy theories, and delusional episodes may all exist on a single spectrum, recent research suggests. The name for the concept that links them is apophenia.

Apophenia, he said, was a weakness of human cognition: the “pervasive tendency … to see order in random configurations,” an “unmotivated seeing of connections,” the experience of “delusion as revelation.” On the phone he unveiled his favorite formulation yet: “the tendency to be overwhelmed by meaningful coincidences.”

It is not just poets and the supernaturally suggestible (believers in witchcraft, Bigfoot, or psychic auras) who seem disposed to find signals in static. It is men and women suffering from schizophrenia, and perhaps bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder as well.

According to the researchers at University College, London, “[t]here is now considerable evidence that high schizotypes … show a greater tendency to see patterns in random configurations and perceive meaning in coincidental events.”

Read More: It’s All Connected ~What links creativity, conspiracy theories, and delusions? A phenomenon called apophenia.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this reminds me of two people. A little help here please.

Duel Peppy is a famous cutting horse.

1011839_961887027160485_3688389700335647157_n.jpg

1910268_961887087160479_5147837362201051489_n.jpg

1045198_961887090493812_8587782625144622514_n.jpg

10624997_961886967160491_8644391942528776358_n.jpg

Somebody bought him and decided to stop feeding him. Trapped in his stall with nothing but water, he watched other horses not as lucky as him die as he stood and waited for something to eat. He was just rescued today by court order.

10629819_961886883827166_5089364525463531036_n.jpg

1549360_961886893827165_108940931692108805_n.jpg

998916_961886920493829_8137475518583654751_n.jpg

10702043_961886870493834_8547096549310223095_n.jpg

I recommend you feed your horse.

Two things...

First, I recommend these Ray-Ban Jackie Ohh II sunglasses. They are stylish, comfy, protective, concealing... and you can wear them on top/over of your specs--if need be.

15146757138_846cc743eb_o.jpg

Second, I recommend wearing them indoors. Everything looks cleaner--especially the carpet! :D

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this reminds me of two people. A little help here please.

I can't either....but I like the one about the "seething brains" and the one about the pseudos.

Artists and intellectuals....they're everywhere. I like them......:brows:

- - - Updated - - -

Two things...

First, I recommend these Ray-Ban Jackie Ohh II sunglasses. They are stylish, comfy, protective, concealing... and you can wear them on top/over of your specs--if need be.

15146757138_846cc743eb_o.jpg

Second, I recommend wearing them indoors. Everything looks cleaner--especially the carpet! :D

There you are....very cool. I almost didn't recognize you with the shades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't either....but I like the one about the "seething brains" and the one about the pseudos.

Artists and intellectuals....they're everywhere. I like them......:brows:

- - - Updated - - -

There you are....very cool. I almost didn't recognize you with the shades.

Well hello! Thanks! It is my incognito look.:D

Duel Peppy is a famous cutting horse.

Somebody bought him and decided to stop feeding him. Trapped in his stall with nothing but water, he watched other horses not as lucky as him die as he stood and waited for something to eat. He was just rescued today by court order.

10702043_961886870493834_8547096549310223095_n.jpg

I recommend you feed your horse.

Good recommendation.....This kind of behavior could lead to murder.

Ever read Michael Kohlhaas, by Heinrich von Kleist? A little bit different story but the mistreatment of horses led to an insane amount of violence :gun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom