Margaret Dale

Many people knew Margaret Dale...she ingratiated herself into their consciousness through her behavior and seemingly ubiquitous, freakishly unfailing presence at shows.

Here is an email I received several days ago from a very good friend of mine, who is a huge Morrissey fan and attends many of his shows but does not post on Solo or follow the forums at all. She is friendly with many of the people that knew Margaret or were in her circle, either via shows, Facebook, real life, whatever.

I'll post it here to show that someone can be remembered in more ways than one:

Do you know Margaret Dale? She was in Seattle standing next to me and T___ trying to cram in front of us when we had the front row pit tix, and my friend D___ was standing next to T___, and she is this skinny girl who lost ALL this weight because of her Moz obsession, worked out for hours everyday so she could slim down to basically nothing, the size of Julia...yuk...so she could lift herself onto the stage and attack Morrissey. She did it a week or so ago at the Hollywood show...well, she was trying to cram in between T____ and me like I had said...and I was clearly pissed because she was behind us, and the security were actually trying to regulate who got to lean on the stage by their seat numbers...so they told her to back off...I felt her staring at me like she wanted to stab me from behind, and I texted D___, 'I can't stand Margaret Dale, this hairy armed bitch is pissing me off.' He texts back 'lol.' She was found dead in her apartment on Friday. Pretty sure she killed herself although no one is saying.

uh huh. of course that's authentic.

Many people knew Margaret Dale...she ingratiated herself into their consciousness through her behavior and seemingly ubiquitous, freakishly unfailing presence at shows.

Here is an email I received several days ago from a very good friend of mine, who is a huge Morrissey fan and attends many of his shows but does not post on Solo or follow the forums at all. She is friendly with many of the people that knew Margaret or were in her circle, either via shows, Facebook, real life, whatever.

I'll post it here to show that someone can be remembered in more ways than one:

Do you know Margaret Dale? She was in Seattle standing next to me and T___ trying to cram in front of us when we had the front row pit tix, and my friend D___ was standing next to T___, and she is this skinny girl who lost ALL this weight because of her Moz obsession, worked out for hours everyday so she could slim down to basically nothing, the size of Julia...yuk...so she could lift herself onto the stage and attack Morrissey. She did it a week or so ago at the Hollywood show...well, she was trying to cram in between T____ and me like I had said...and I was clearly pissed because she was behind us, and the security were actually trying to regulate who got to lean on the stage by their seat numbers...so they told her to back off...I felt her staring at me like she wanted to stab me from behind, and I texted D___, 'I can't stand Margaret Dale, this hairy armed bitch is pissing me off.' He texts back 'lol.' She was found dead in her apartment on Friday. Pretty sure she killed herself although no one is saying.

So... you're saying it's okay to remember a dead person negatively, and to validate this opinion you're showing us an e-mail you say you received from another of your very good friends. (I'm glad to hear they don't all kill themselves, by the way.) This one seems pretty angry at a dead woman ... mainly because she tried to push in front of your friend at the front of a crowd at a pop concert? But for the fact that you say that your very good friend "attends many of [Morrissey's] shows" (but curiously isn't a "seemingly ubiquitous, freakishly unfailing presence"), I'd be inclined to ask if she's never been to a pop concert before. After all, there does tend to be quite a lot of pushing and shoving at this type of event. She sounds like - what you might term - a f***ing pussy. Besides which, your very good friend seems more than a little paranoid. She hated the deceased because, at a pop concert, she thought the deceased was standing behind her, staring at her like she wanted to stab her? Is there something wrong with your friend? I'm trying to picture the scene: Morrissey is poncing about on the stage, as he does, just feet away from your friend; your friend has paid for "front row pit tix" because - despite having attended many previous Morrissey gigs - she just has to be close to her idol and, in the midst of the excitable crowd, instead of just getting over the fact that somebody else might want to get near to the stage, and instead of trying to have a good time, your friend stood there fretting about the imaginary threat she thought the deceased posed to her safety and sent text messages to one of her other friends about how angry and frustrated she was.

Your very good friend sounds like a dick.

So... you're saying it's okay to remember a dead person negatively, and to validate this opinion you're showing us an e-mail you say you received from another of your very good friends. (I'm glad to hear they don't all kill themselves, by the way.) This one seems pretty angry at a dead woman ... mainly because she tried to push in front of your friend at the front of a crowd at a pop concert? But for the fact that you say that your very good friend "attends many of [Morrissey's] shows" (but curiously isn't a "seemingly ubiquitous, freakishly unfailing presence"), I'd be inclined to ask if she's never been to a pop concert before. After all, there does tend to be quite a lot of pushing and shoving at this type of event. She sounds like - what you might term - a f***ing pussy. Besides which, your very good friend seems more than a little paranoid. She hated the deceased because, at a pop concert, she thought the deceased was standing behind her, staring at her like she wanted to stab her? Is there something wrong with your friend? I'm trying to picture the scene: Morrissey is poncing about on the stage, as he does, just feet away from your friend; your friend has paid for "front row pit tix" because - despite having attended many previous Morrissey gigs - she just has to be close to her idol and, in the midst of the excitable crowd, instead of just getting over the fact that somebody else might want to get near to the stage, and instead of trying to have a good time, your friend stood there fretting about the imaginary threat she thought the deceased posed to her safety and sent text messages to one of her other friends about how angry and frustrated she was.

Your very good friend sounds like a dick.

Not that I owe you an explanation, but what the hell, here goes.

She is a huge Morrissey fan, a much bigger fan than I am. She enjoys being near the front of the pit. A lot of people do. And she's gone to tons of shows. She finds them exciting and has a good time. Personally, that's her thing. I don't really get it, but whatever. I don't see anything wrong with going to a lot of shows or trying to get good seats. It's the obsessively following around, trying to get onstage, forsaking daily life to see Morrissey that bugs me. I would not describe her like that. But she does enjoy seeing him several times per tour.

As for the texting of her friend during the show...again, I don't get that, but that's her thing. I am not a big cell phone guy, I don't get the texting thing. But I would not say she felt threatened by the dead chick, just annoyed. I think that was conveyed pretty succinctly in the letter so I won't spend much energy explaining it.

I think that a lot of the contempt for the dead chick that was expressed was actually stemming from other shows besides this one. She was familiar with her from before. And frankly I can see why a person like that woman would be an annoyance.

I posted the letter because it offered a cynical but honest first hand account of someone who apparently we are only allowed to speak of glowingly. You are free to take issue with it, or with my opinion, I don't care.

Not that I owe you an explanation, but what the hell, here goes.

She is a huge Morrissey fan, a much bigger fan than I am. She enjoys being near the front of the pit. A lot of people do. And she's gone to tons of shows. She finds them exciting and has a good time. Personally, that's her thing. I don't really get it, but whatever. I don't see anything wrong with going to a lot of shows or trying to get good seats. It's the obsessively following around, trying to get onstage, forsaking daily life to see Morrissey that bugs me. I would not describe her like that. But she does enjoy seeing him several times per tour.

As for the texting of her friend during the show...again, I don't get that, but that's her thing. I am not a big cell phone guy, I don't get the texting thing. But I would not say she felt threatened by the dead chick, just annoyed. I think that was conveyed pretty succinctly in the letter so I won't spend much energy explaining it.

I think that a lot of the contempt for the dead chick that was expressed was actually stemming from other shows besides this one. She was familiar with her from before. And frankly I can see why a person like that woman would be an annoyance.

I posted the letter because it offered a cynical but honest first hand account of someone who apparently we are only allowed to speak of glowingly. You are free to take issue with it, or with my opinion, I don't care.

Well, do you think your friend will, at some point, e-mail you with details of her other experiences of being near a stranger in a public place? I ask because I can't see anything in the encounter she detailed that would prompt a reasonable person to feel quite as angry as she does. From your account of your friend and the things she inexplicably likes and enjoys, she actually seems pretty similar to the deceased. Do you think she might just be jealous of her?

Margox Dale, visionairy and extraordinary and devoted globe trotter. She will be missed and we her fans will be lonely and pissed (mostly on lager and the odd shandy). Tonight we sing your blues wearing unhealthy shoes remembering our years in forgotten schools.

This is for Margox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze3mh-BaFA8

Margaret embarked on a labour of love, putting all Morrissey's lyrics in a hardback book, she went to great lengths to ensure even the unreleased songs were transcribed properly. She wanted to give the book to Morrissey. She kindly sent me a copy. It must have cost her a fortune to do it.

P.

Wow, really? How on earth did she put this together? I would love a book of all of Moz's lyrics.

This is sad, so very sad. RIP Margaret.

Look at it this way: "a better place" is simply nowhere at all. We can interpret the phrase however we like, and that is how I choose to interpret it.
she's gone to "a place where the is no self, only calm". Let's leave it at that.

+1 Beautifully put.

"No self". Love it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom