The new Bowie album

I'm surprised Bowie got away with that front cover. I just wish his music was as alternative as that front cover! I like that there's a bit of a Scary Monsters sound throughout.
Yo Davie! Have you heard the whole album? Not too impressed I guess. I have say I love it.

Yo Davie! Have you heard the whole album? Not too impressed I guess. I have say I love it.

Hello Peter. I am impressed! I think it's one of Bowie's better albums! I rank it alongside Heathen, which for me is a really good album :)

I am a Bowie fan and that's a very tough question....I'm going to say "Space Oddity" because that's when David Bowie was actually David Bowie. Earthling is a very close second. I LOVE Tin Machine too!

I am a Bowie fan and that's a very tough question....I'm going to say "Space Oddity" because that's when David Bowie was actually David Bowie. Earthling is a very close second. I LOVE Tin Machine too!
Davie, I will check out those albums. You the Man!

Interesting choices! Oddity is a bit of a curate's egg and personally Earthling is the one Bowie album I've never been able to connect with at all. I think non-Bowie fans with half an interest should probably try Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane first. Then maybe progress to Low, Lodger and Scary Monsters. Then Diamond Dogs, Station and Heroes. Of his later work, Heathen is up there for me too and I would definitely also rank the new one alongside it.

Hi Justin, I think listening to snippets is not the way to approach the new Bowie album. I can't think of many records that could be appreciated by simply dipping into the odd track. This is not to say that you are wrong just that maybe it deserves a couple of proper listens.

Hi Peterb, I agree with you that listening to snippets isn't the way to approach the new Bowie album or any other album. Honestly I spend so much money on buying music, and music t-shirts, and the occasional concert already that I may not go out and buy Bowie's "The Next Day". However I did go back to Itunes and took my time listening to the snippets again and what I found surprised me. I really, really like the lyrics on this album even with the songs I wasnt wild about musically. And three of the songs I liked so much I bought them. Two of those song snippets I listened to before but I found that I really wasnt listening to them. Track #4 "Love Is Lost" is marvelous! The lyrics are really heartfelt and desperate which I like and the music is great and reminiscent of something Steven Severin would write. Thats a big compliment because Severin's songwriting in the 80's & 90's was magnificent! I also bought "Valentine's Day" which after really listening to I realized is a great track both musically and lyrically. And I bought the bonus track "So She" which is my favorite song on the album. It's such a simple and gorgeous song with outstanding lyrics that Billy Corgan would be jealous of. Thanks Peterb for the advice, it helped me find three great songs today.

I only listened to the minute and a half snippets on Itunes but this album does nothing but bore me. "Valentine's Day" was kinda okay. I couldnt listen past that, I didnt have the patience for it. Johnny Marr's two tracks "New Town Velocity" and "The Messenger" blow this shit away. And Johnny's voice is better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only the second album I've ever bought through itunes. It's a cold experience so I'm hoping the music will make up for it.

Don't know if father christmas singing again will rock my boat, in fact I know it won't. If some people feel that the biggest arsehole in music is worth their time then be my guest.

Thanks Ben. Exclusive songs to different formats of releases annoys the crap out of me. Usually Japanese exclusives used to end up as UK b-sides. Not sure where else this song was due to land though.

Whilst we're on the topic of Bowie. Does anyone like The Buddha Of Suburbia?? I think it replaces Earthling as my second favourite album :)

Back
Top Bottom