Johnny Marr On The Smiths' Black Roots, Video - thequietus.com; Interview in VICE

Re: Johnny Marr On The Smiths' Black Roots, Video - thequietus.com

Johnny Marr tells Quietus ed John Doran about the influence Chic and Lovebug Starski had on The Smiths,
and deciding to say "f*** it" and put a heavy metal solo on Shoplifters Of The World

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Especially the final question about standing behind Moz's lyrics in the Smiths. Thanks for sharing.

Great interview......thank you for posting!

Great interview. And nice to see now that Marr is OK with 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' lyrically. I can imagine it must have been a shock at the time, for a fairly comedic lyric over such a strong guitar riff, but it's these kinds of odd juxtapositions that made the Morrissey/Marr partnership so unique.
Fingers crossed he plays it live.

Johnny Marr On The Smiths' Black Roots - The Quietus
Laurie Tuffrey , February 19th, 2013 08:48

Johnny Marr tells Quietus ed John Doran about the influence Chic and Lovebug Starski had on The Smiths, and deciding to say "f*** it" and put a heavy metal solo on Shoplifters Of The World

Link also posted by MORRIZSEY:

Johnny Marr Takes Music and Fashion Seriously - VICE
By Kelly McClure

An interview with the coolest guitarist to ever breathe air

Excerpt:

Music and fashion go together like pedophiles and children. It’s always been an uneasy, somewhat forced relationship that results from perversion and mental illness. Johnny Marr is one of the few musicians who got it right. We interviewed him about being in the Smiths and about whether or not Morrissey could beat him at arm wrestling.

...I saved this one for last, in case you punched me out, but who do you think would win in an arm-wrestling match, you or Morrissey?
Oh, he would, definitely. Wait, what am I saying? It would be me. Definitely me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this was only posted a couple days ago but I thought there'd be more comments for this superb interview. Just the right amount of muso content, history, honest feelings. Good interviewer -- is a fan without falling over himself, doesn't insert himself into the questions, and most importantly made it interesting for the interviewee to answer!

Writing those three Smiths songs over one weekend is still beyond comprehension...

Edit: Oh, and I had never heard of (nor heard) real "highlife" music before, but I see where the comparison comes from. Musical inspiration obviously goes beyond ones record collection.

It is great how Marr describes when The Smiths went to see Van Halen . He got Eddie's personality down pat . Wonder what Moz thought of that concert ?
John Doren asks great questions and backs them up with very good knowledge of The Smiths/Marr and various other bands of that time period. I will have to listen to other interviews he does . Does a great fake on Johnny by leading him on about repeating the same tired questions on Moz but switches it to ......... just made me laugh to see Johnny's face light up.
2nd mcrickson's view of backing Moz 's lyrics. What love they had between them musically.

Last edited:
Re: Article: Johnny Marr On The Smiths' Black Roots, Video - thequietus.com; Intervie

Interesting interview.

What are they drinking?

Back
Top Bottom