Staples Center going vegetarian for Morrissey - additional details

UPDATE 4:45 PM PT:

Updated story at Reuters:

UPDATE 1-Singer Morrissey requests meat-free Los Angeles concert venue

Excerpt:

"We respect Morrissey's lifestyle and his concern for the wishes of so many of his fans and are happy that we are able to honor his requests in this manner," Lee Zeidman, the arena's general manager, said in a statement on Tuesday.

Staples Center operator Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) said the arena will also roll out a special line of meatless food concessions, including vegan sloppy Joes, vegan sushi, and hummus and pita bread.

Staples Center Going Vegetarian for Morrissey Show
- Billboard

Excerpt:

For the first time, the Los Angeles arena's vendors will offer 100% vegetarian cuisine during Morrissey's headlining performance. McDonald's outlets in Staples will be closed for the sold-out show. According to a release, Paul McCartney was previously denied the same request. In addition, a portion of ticket proceeds will be donated to PETA.

"I don't look upon it as a victory for me, but a victory for the animals," Morrissey said in a statement.

Related item:

Last edited:
being veg, i'm all for this, but i'd rather see the proceeds go elsewhere, than peta. if you take a good hard look, there's a lot of hot air and not much effectiveness to that organization.

Kudos to Morrissey - the less meat consumed the better. Still, I wonder why they denied Paul McCartney the same request; he's the biggest name in pop music (and he and his late wife Linda have done so much for the cause). How did Morrissey manage to get it done?

As for PETA: they are a mixed blessing. They've raised awareness for issues of animal cruelty in the culture at large in a way that the more mainstream organizations never could, and they were pioneers back in the day when no one had even heard of Animal Rights. Still, they often go too far and end up being offensive and turning people off when they should be winning hearts and minds. Morrissey, for all his passion and good intensions, sometimes makes the same mistakes. In PETA's defense, while the silly stuff like naked celebrities makes headlines, they are often effective in organizing campaigns that result in real legislative changes.

The ASPCA and the Humane Society of the United States do good work, and while they fail to make flashy headlines like PETA, they deserve support.

The ASPCA and the Humane Society of the United States do good work, and while they fail to make flashy headlines like PETA, they deserve support.

Yes. I think it would make more sense to split profits (why not the whole tour profits?:) ) between different organizations; allowing actually effective ones to get some recognition as well.

I personally find most of PETA's shock tactics moronic in the extreme, and I'm sure they're counter-productive. I agree, Morrissey is a bit -a lot- like them. :p
He needs to broaden his horizons a bit. I understand the need for flashiness to make the cause visible, but I think it's possible to have an intelligent flashiness, that could reach out to intelligent people. PETA sets the bar pretty low, IQ-wise.:rolleyes: It's a real let-down to see him brainwashed so much, when he's supposed to care so much.

He should do his best for animals with objectivity, not do stuff that suits his weird personal affinities. I think he has a duty to do so now, if he really loves animals and wants to show he does. He's done quite a bit but he should do a lot more. Just my personal four-legged opinion.

edit/ one example of a massive fail on PETA's part: one day on the Yahoo news page I saw a pic of a girl pretending to be dead, her face in a plate full of corn or something. She was meant to represent a force-fed goose, I suppose.(Did I get that right? :rolleyes:) And that was supposed to end a culinary tradition in a country famous for its cuisine... I can't stand the stuff myself but felt offended. They don't take into account culture, which plays a big part in the way people eat. They're just self- righteous brainless crusaders. And I'd like to know how this was effective; I bet it had no effect whatsoever. An entirely different way of going about it could have worked. They were too narrow-minded and lazy to find one that would adapt to the country they were dealing with.

I'll say it again, I eat hardly any meat, and had my vegetarian phase, and it's not because of Morrissey, or PETA, it's because of cool people who were veggies/ vegans who cooked delicious meals and convinced me. Now put on your apron and get cooking Morrissey, see if you can turn people like me back into full vegetarians with a magical Veggie breakfeast.:yum:

Last edited:
Yes. I think it would make more sense to split profits (why not the whole tour profits?:) ) between different organizations; allowing actually effective ones to get some recognition as well.

I personally find most of PETA's shock tactics moronic in the extreme, and I'm sure they're counter-productive. I agree, Morrissey is a bit -a lot- like them. :p
He needs to broaden his horizons a bit. I understand the need for flashiness to make the cause visible, but I think it's possible to have an intelligent flashiness, that could reach out to intelligent people. PETA sets the bar pretty low, IQ-wise.:rolleyes: It's a real let-down to see him brainwashed so much, when he's supposed to care so much.

He should do his best for animals with objectivity, not do stuff that suits his weird personal affinities. I think he has a duty to do so now, if he really loves animals and wants to show he does. He's done quite a bit but he should do a lot more. Just my personal four-legged opinion.

Hey Barking - it's been a while. :)

I'm forced to agree with you: PETA often resorts to moronic pr stunts - it's a bit embarrassing. I used to be a member but I now give to more conventional charities like the HSUS. I still admire PETA for getting the ball rolling in the early days, and I do still enjoy some of their more interesting and creative protests, but overall I just can't deal with all the silliness.

As for Morrissey being "brainwashed": if I remember correctly he's friends with some of the higher-ups at PETA and he feels comfortable with them, so it's no surprise that he's so involved with the organization. They do seem like a good fit somehow.

Meat is Murder is still a masterpiece of inspirational songwriting, but it would be nice if he did a bit more (publicly at least). Perhaps curating a Meltdown type festival for animal charities. How about a "Win a Vegan Dinner with Morrissey" auction with proceeds going to the animals? I know that's completely unrealistic but it would be good pr for Morrissey and the animals would make a mint.

Well that was errrr slightly biased, but, two things struck me:
-I thought I had a bad haircut until I saw Ingrid. How can M put up with that disaster I don't know.
- If you put a 2 y.o in a crib with an apple and a bunny, the only thing that's gonna happen for sure is: the bunny is gonna have a bite at the apple. Do some animal-watching, Gary boy, and then you can compare yourself to Jayzus.:lbf:

As for the "win a vegan diner with Morrissey" auction, Anaesthesine, I think it's a splendid idea!! I'd be prepared to buy Morrissey's dirty underwear for a considerable amount of money. The mere sight of me eating would ruin his appetite.:thumb: A complete dog's dinner that'd be, no doubt!!:lbf:

No organization is more supportive of Morrissey's ladyparts celibacy than PETA. They'd be so bummed if he knocked a chick up. :D

No organization is more supportive of Morrissey's ladyparts celibacy than PETA. They'd be so bummed if he knocked a chick up. :D

:clap: Gross and cute at the same time! :), good one CG!

What if he humps a stud? Is that animal cruelty ?:confused: (oh dear we're escalating :( )

As for the "win a vegan diner with Morrissey" auction, Anaesthesine, I think it's a splendid idea!! I'd be prepared to buy Morrissey's dirty underwear for a considerable amount of money. The mere sight of me eating would ruin his appetite.:thumb: A complete dog's dinner that'd be, no doubt!!:lbf:

Nice to see you haven't changed a bit Barking - ever the dirty dog.:)

:clap: Gross and cute at the same time! :), good one CG!

What if he humps a stud? Is that animal cruelty ?:confused: (oh dear we're escalating :( )

That's what CG stands for. :p

Now, all Morrissey needs to do is sing some decent songs and eliminate the horrible ones that he has been trotting out lately: Action, Black Cloud, You have Killed Me, etc.

"Staples Center not going veg for upcoming Morrissey concert, but adding no-meat options"

Contrary to multiple media reports of Staples Center going completely vegetarian for the upcoming Morrissey concert, representatives for the Downtown venue announced today that they'd merely be adding vegetarian options for the singer's March 1 performance.

“As we have done in the past, we are happy to create a menu with a greater variety of vegetarian items for our guests who prefer these types of options,” said Lee Zeidman, Sr. vice president and general manager of Staples Center and L.A. Live, in a statement....

....A media representative for Staples said in an email that they are still "in talks" with McDonald's about whether they will be open for the show or not. No decision has been made one way or another.

According to- http://blogdowntown.com/2013/02/7141-staples-center-not-going-veg-for-upcoming

Anyone know if this is a reliable source?

Went to a concert in Nashville last week at the Bridgestone arena. Probably the best nacho's ever- chips, cheese (I doubt it was real cheese), salsa and jalapenos. The big hot pretzels were divine as well. One can eat at a venue and not have to eat meat. I don't think of McD's food when I'm at a concert, just really BIG sodas!

The only beer options will be Corona or, for those with $14 to burn, an Irish Car Bomb.

The only beer options will be Corona or, for those with $14 to burn, an Irish Car Bomb.

An Irish Car Bomb at Staples would probably set you back $20. :straightface:

Who goes to a venue to eat dinner anyway? :squiffy: Why is this such a big deal all of a sudden?

An Irish Car Bomb at Staples would probably set you back $20. :straightface:

Who goes to a venue to eat dinner anyway? :squiffy: Why is this such a big deal all of a sudden?

I was thinking that myself, but the concert I went to 2 weeks ago in Nashville was 8 bands/artists and we were there from 2:30 pm (standing on line) to 10:30 pm...one tends to get a little peckish after all that time! Straight up...nacho's never went so quickly! Had some Dunkin' Donuts coffee as well!

Nice to see you haven't changed a bit Barking - ever the dirty dog.:)

Oh! I should tell you about those splosh sessions, during which I cover myself in rice pudding and custard...I have a few pictures... I hope to have enough for an exhibition at the V&A someday.

I find that so very entertaining.
-The groomer doesn't, obviously.:straightface:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom