Morrissey / Smiths in the media (Steven Soderbergh, Russell Brand, Stephen Street, radio mentions)

Steven Soderbergh on his current reading list
An anonymous person posts:

Steven Soderbergh on Quitting Hollywood, Getting the Best Out of J-Lo, and His Love of Girls - Vulture

"Steven Soderbergh has directed 26 films since his 1989 debut, sex, lies, and videotape — the behind-closed-doors portrait of yuppie Louisiana often credited with kick-starting the indie-film revolution of the nineties, released when he was only 26."

Based on a list you put together two years ago—of everything you read and watched between April 2010 and March 2011—you had no problem reading while you were making films. What are you reading now?
I tend to alternate between fiction and nonfiction. I just finished a wonderful novel by Paul Murray called Skippy Dies. Right before that, I finished Tony Fletcher’s book about the Smiths. They generated a lot of good music in a short time, then kind of burned out and crashed. I recently reread three Raymond Chandler novels, which were amazing all over again. I literally don’t think he uses more than 200 different words. Of all the arts, I think the novel comes closest to being inside another person’s head. Probably because none of it is being literalized; you’re creating the images based on what you’re reading, so you’re never “wrong.”

Russell Brand on his cat Morrissey

MORRIZSEY posts
:

RUSSELL BRAND IS MAD FUR IT - Daily Star

RUSSELL Brand admits he’s a crazy cat man.

The comic loves his beloved moggy Morrissey more than any human.

Brand, 37 admitted: “I had him one year after I got clean. He now lives in Los Angeles with me.

“How did I beat quarantine to get him over there to America? Well I took him over and wore him as a necklace on the plane.

“He is the one thing that I love in the world the most.”

Russ named his cat after his favourite singer – the former Smiths star – and insists they are similar.

He added: “I have met the singer. You think you’re getting to know him, then he does his own thing.”

Russell decided to take his feline friend to America after a pet psychiatrist told him the animal was suffering from separation anxiety.

Stephen Street on BBC4 Feb. 5

Kewpie writes:

Stephen Street on BBC4 Danny Baker's Great Album Showdown 5 Feb 2013
Trailer of the programme says "Some albums are bigger than others"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qkvxr

BBC 6 Music Steve Lamacq on bands people never heard of, but went to see.

Kewpie posts:

Today's BBC 6 Music Steve Lamacq is talking about the bands never heard of, but went to see. The topic was inspired by some people who were making fuss about Stone Roses headlining Coachella in April.

Steve read an email from a guy went to see Smiths Hacienda in 1982, but left before they were on stage.

Another guy who went to see Smiths in Norwich who remembers they played Handsome Devil twice because they didn't have enough songs.

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey / Smiths in the media (Steven Soderbergh, Russell Brand, Steph

Is anyone watching BBC 4?

Stephen Street keeps dropping Smiths / Morrissey snipets which makes me happy. :)

Re: Article: Morrissey / Smiths in the media (Steven Soderbergh, Russell Brand, Steph

Awww, tonight's second installment is also excellent viewing!

Grace Dent and Boy George praised The Queen Is Dead. :thumb:

Awww, tonight's second installment is also excellent viewing!

Grace Dent and Boy George praised The Queen Is Dead. :thumb:

Agrrreed :thumb:

Tonight's show was a joy from start to finish, unlike the first one which was squirm-inducingly awful. It even made me forget just how much I want to slap Danny Baker every single time his lips move. Three people in love with the Pop Moment, and trying to work out why, over the course of an hour. God bless the BBC. Boy George clearly remains devoted to both Bowie and Moz, and kudos to Grace Dent for picking 'Hatful of Hollow' over 'The Queen Is Dead'. Correct answer.

Wasn't BG looking well? Like an Anglo-Irish Alain Delon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom