Has anyone made a definitive list of Manchester references in Smiths/Morrissey songs?

Re: Has anyone made a definitive list of Manchester references in Smiths/Morrissey so

Yes, they have.

Re: Has anyone made a definitive list of Manchester references in Smiths/Morrissey so

There's this from Wikipedia -

The Smiths - "Cemetery Gates" (about Southern Cemetery)
The Smiths - "Rusholme Ruffians"
The Smiths - "Miserable Lie" (What do we get for our trouble and pain but a rented room in Whalley Range?)
The Smiths - "Suffer Little Children" (Oh Manchester, so much to answer for; about the Moors murders)
The Smiths - "The Headmaster Ritual" (Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools)

There's this from Wikipedia -

The Smiths - "Cemetery Gates" (about Southern Cemetery)
The Smiths - "Rusholme Ruffians"
The Smiths - "Miserable Lie" (What do we get for our trouble and pain but a rented room in Whalley Range?)
The Smiths - "Suffer Little Children" (Oh Manchester, so much to answer for; about the Moors murders)
The Smiths - "The Headmaster Ritual" (Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools)

Strangeways Here We Come - not a song but an album title.
Hulmerist - the video with a pun on Hulme in the title
Vicar in a Tutu - mentions the Holy Name Church on Wilmslow Road

Strangeways Here We Come - not a song but an album title.
Hulmerist - the video with a pun on Hulme in the title
Vicar in a Tutu - mentions the Holy Name Church on Wilmslow Road

Isn't The Holy Name Church on Oxford Road though?

Isn't The Holy Name Church on Oxford Road though?

Doesn't Wilmslow Road run into Oxford St? But you are right, it is Oxford Street.
I honestly thought there were more references that that.

Doesn't Wilmslow Road run into Oxford St? But you are right, it is Oxford Street.
I honestly thought there were more references that that.

It's Oxford Road. :thumb:

Yep, Manchester has Oxford Road, no Oxford Street.

Reel Around the Fountain. References areas inside the Stretford Arndale Centre.

Yep, Manchester has Oxford Road, no Oxford Street.

Wrong again Kewpie (as per usual)
I used to work on Oxford Street in Manchester.
Wilmslow Road becomes Oxford Road and then at the Palace Theatre it becomes Oxford Street as far as St Peters Square.

I will, however, concede on the HNC being on Oxford Road (having googled the building) ;)
I always thought Oxford Road started at Booth Street West next to Royal Northern College of Music.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrong again Kewpie (as per usual)
I used to work on Oxford Street in Manchester.
Wilmslow Road becomes Oxford Road and then at the Palace Theatre it becomes Oxford Street as far as St Peters Square.

I will, however, concede on the HNC being on Oxford Road (having googled the building) ;)
I always thought Oxford Road started at Booth Street West next to Royal Northern College of Music.

Jukebox Jury

Someone should write a book about this kind of shit!

P.

Last edited:

Someone should write a book about this kind of shit!

P.

It would never sell, otherwise someone would have done it by now :thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom