Morrissey fans in the UK

T

Tingle

you may have noticed posters and banners and car stickers around promoting the 'Countryside Alliance's' 'Livelihood and Liberty' march. As such it sounds very laudable and if I took it at face value then I too would support such a thing. When the 'Countryside Alliance' launched itself some years ago I sent off the coupon, as invited, to ask for more information. They wrote back and thanked me for supporting them and I said I was now a registered supporter. See?, they twist the truth.

And now what they don't make clear is that this is really about preventing a ban on fox and stag hunting. As the detail of their blurb states:

"Anyone who does not subscribe to all five principles of our march - and these crucially include the right for people to decide for themselves whether they may hunt - will not be welcome on it".

So that's it. It is about hunting and nothing but. It disgusts me that round Chelsea and Fulham I see dozens of Mercedes estates and BMW 4x4s with 'Livelihood and Liberty' stickers in the back windows. These are people with no interest in the country other than they may like to go huntin' and shootin' at weekends. They like the idea of pursuing foxes and deer on horseback while hounds worry the hell out of the wild animal.

This morning I took down the fly-posters that went up last night advertising this 'march'. I think Morrissey would want you to do the same, so please, if you see these posters, tear them down. Write to your local paper, write to your national paper and explain that this march is simply pro-hunting - expose it for what it is.

Much as I hate to admit it, I know the travel agency who does their flights.
You'll be pleased to know however that I put a bogey in between their air tickets as a little memento.

Back
Top Bottom