The new Photography thread

Birds of Birmingham

dscf7898.jpg

Birds of Birmingham

dscf7898.jpg

My teacher Mr. Benoit would say "Good composition. Nice focus. Go back in the darkroom and dial up the contrast. Black and white photos start with black." Not that this is a critique thread, I just couldn't help myself. :D

My teacher Mr. Benoit would say "Good composition. Nice focus. Go back in the darkroom and dial up the contrast. Black and white photos start with black." Not that this is a critique thread, I just couldn't help myself. :D

Critique is welcomed!
I often refrain from retouching photographs after they are taken. Partly for my own 'artistic' reasons, and partly because I don't know what I am doing! :lbf:

This is what happens when I try. It's sacrilege really.

dscf7898_edited.jpg

Critique is welcomed!
I often refrain from retouching photographs after they are taken. Partly for my own 'artistic' reasons, and partly because I don't know what I am doing! :lbf:

This is what happens when I try. It's sacrilege really.

View attachment 32599

Yeah, too much contrast. Back in the darkroom days you could retain a healthy grey balance and easily burn select areas with your hand or cut pieces of paper to pop the contrast. You can do that in photoshop too with layer masks, but it takes skill to lasso off the right areas. For instance I'd leave everything original and burn in only the park bench in the lower right and a little bit of the background black in the upper left corner for balance. By burn I mean make more black.

Your original one was better. These are "Rock Pigeons" by the way, the most common bird sighting in the world. The Bird Gods know there's truth in rock & roll and have dispatched these pigeons to spread the good word like mormons who poop on your car. :cool:

Last edited:
Beautiful Mal. I can't beat the quality of those. I went for a walk up a wee mountain in Scotland this morning, and took one from the start, and halfway up. I often think I should get a decent camera, but for now, the iPhone will have to do.

nt8HfLy.jpg

9notjVC.jpg

P.

I'm so jealous of people who can take amazing pictures : ( I need to take a class or something

image.jpg

Chipping Campden

image.jpg

Paris

CrystalGeezer posted this phenomenal picture on last Christmas day. It was either Christmas day or Christmas Eve. Excluding pictures of my family & friends, it's the best I've ever seen. A beautiful picture in every way.

Mongolian reindeer.jpg

-Apparently the picture was taken by Hamid Sardar.

-For those who don't know, you have to click on the picture to make it bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop putting me to shame Mal. You're the king. All I can offer is an iPhone shot, tonight, on the canal path in Hebden Bridge.

YFK8USS.jpg

P.

Back
Top Bottom