Wellington - Town Hall (Dec. 14, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / You're The One For Me, Fatty / November Spawned A Monster / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / First Of The Gang To Die / Black Cloud / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / To Give (The Reason I Live) / I Know It's Over / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Let Me Kiss You / Meat Is Murder / Speedway / Irish Blood, English Heart / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Sweet And Tender Hooligan // Still Ill

set list provided by redod

• IMAGES OF MORRISSEY LIVE IN WELLINGTON (13 DECEMBER 2012) (photos by Hagen Hopkins, 17 total) - bryceedwards.com, link posted by Bryce Edwards.

wellington.jpg
  • Review: Morrissey in Wellington by Jule Scherer, Fairfax NZ News / stuff.co.nz. Link posted by Librarian On Fire and Bryce Edwards.

Last edited:
Review from the Wellington concert from the online New Zealand newspaper, Stuff, http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/gig-reviews/8084772/Review-Morrissey-in-Wellington

The tv adverts that Morrissey mentions are sponsored by SAFE, (save animals from exploitation)*. They screened on TV one during Coronation Street on Thursday night. Ahhh bless, Morrissey must have been in his hotel room watching Coro. We're a whopping 18 months behind the UK. We're at that bit where John Stape has stopped taking his medicine and has gone all loopy loopy again.

*This should shut up that anonymous poster who harps on about New Zealand killing lambs.

Last edited:
The tv adverts that Morrissey mentions are sponsored by SAFE, (save animals from exploitation)*. They screened on TV one during Coronation Street on Thursday night. Ahhh bless, Morrissey must have been in his hotel room watching Coro. We're a whopping 18 months behind the UK. We're at that bit where John Stape has stopped taking his medicine and has gone all loopy loopy again.

*This should shut up that anonymous poster who harps on about New Zealand killing lambs.

I remember he said that he was up at 8.20am when he saw the ad, not sure if coro is on that early ;)

Fabulous show. Great the boys were wearing All Blacks shirts and the drums had silver ferns on them. Morrissey sounded great. Lovely to hear Please Please Please, reduced me to tears. The set list was very strong. One day I hope to hear him sing Hand In Glove, I can't recall even The Smiths doing it the few times I saw them back in the day. Come back to Wellington soon Moz.

The most striking thing about that setlist is that it doesn't contain ANY of his new songs...

I realise I'm probably in the minority, but I'd like to see less Smiths songs in the setlist (none would be fine by me). Also I was hoping that he would play at least one of the new songs. There is time for that still I guess.

That is probably the best setlist Morrissey has ever played during his solo years. Bar none.

Hi Barry (Librarian), you must be going tonight. The show in Welly was just knockout. His voice is terrific and the boys were on fire. Brought a lump to the throat when they came out in their shirts. Enjoy. All the best, Patrick.

I wonder if tonight Morrissey's hanging out with Russell Brand before the show saying, "See? I told you so. Marry a crazy bitch then she turns around and makes you the bad guy in her documentary." Don't marry a crazy bitch Morrissey! :p

*yay relaxed muscles yay*

WOW ! That set list is great! From reading the review linked above (thanks Librarian On Fire) the crowd loved every bit of the show with The Smiths songs driving them to frenzy level.
Wonder if Moz is the one who decides on what to put on the drums ? It seem someone tries (most times) to make it relate to location of the show if its being played outside the USA or UK.

Did anybody take a photo of the merch? I want to be prepared for how much money I'll be spending. :)

Review from the Wellington concert from the online New Zealand newspaper, Stuff, http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/gig-reviews/8084772/Review-Morrissey-in-Wellington

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/index.pl?page=contact_us&m=54
So funny "This next song is called meat is money" Yeh right throw so more carrots and peas on the barby mite ! Top veggie Moz playin gigs in the meat industry back yard LMBO !

This was incredible. He touched my hand twice as I had arguably the best spot in the hall, only to give it up as i dived for his shirt, which i got a shred of :) gave a little bit to some girl who didn't :) The songs were incredible with an amazing setlist.

I'm a writer, my first novel comes out in the US in January, and I posted a few thoughts on Morrissey and his influence, on my facebook author page (http://www.facebook.com/shanecfiler) after seeing his Wellington concert. Here's the more relevant review part though for those who are interested.

Morrissey's Wellington concert. I have to admit I have a somewhat mixed set of feelings towards him today. Perhaps because his songs were so important to me in the past, I’ve been even more disappointed by his often patchy solo career. I’ve always tried to like his post-Smiths work, but then some of it is pretty unlikeable — in particular albums full of anemic material like “Kill Uncle” or “Ringleader of the Tormentors”, and his recent clutch of new songs like “People are the Same Everywhere” are among the most tuneless, melody-less pieces of “music” I’ve ever heard performed by anyone. Maybe part of it is because he was once amazing, fans tend to expect more and their disappointment is deeper.

Yet as he walks out onto the stage, all negative thoughts fade. He is a star, a REAL one — of course there may be manufactured elements to the Morrissey persona, but you can be sure as hell it’s he who manufactured them, not a record company or Simon Cowell.

It strikes me how amazing it is that until he was 23, he was a loner, a shy outsider who had few (if any) relationships or friends, who lived with his mother, and largely stayed in his room reading and writing. Not a million miles from my own beginnings to be perfectly honest. Then suddenly, Johnny Marr, knocked on his door, and they formed the Smiths – the rest being history. Sounds very easy.

Today his demeanor suggests knowing confidence, and to walk out in front of a crowd of adoring fans and chat freely must encourage and breed this. I think there’s an aspect of when you’re ignored - to desire to be adored... and he — to his lasting credit — achieved it. I wonder what would have become of him if Marr hadn’t knocked on his door? I wonder if Morrissey ever thinks of this?

Perhaps so, if he relives the feelings in some of the songs he wrote when he was young, and many are played tonight; among them “I Know it’s Over” is particularly poignant. It’s unarguably one of Morrissey & Marr’s greatest moments — a song that ebbs and flows like a tide, diving depths of despair, yet crashing in truly uplifting waves as he sings “It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate — it takes guts to be gentle and kind.” I don’t know if more important words could be suggested for us, on a global or personal level.

Yes, his band of essentially session musicians (excluding the faithful Boz Boorer; tonight soldering on despite having fallen off a roof according to Morrissey), do lack subtlety, and it’s more apparent on the softer songs, and on Marr’s more complex arrangements, yet they do also add as well as take away. They add a consistency and indeed do manage to make some of the songs their own. They pull together quite diverse material, adding a rock edge to the pure pop songs Morrissey wrote with Stephen Street immediately after the Smith’s breakup. “Ouija Board, Ouija Board” benefits most; what is pristine and fey on record, is dragged kicking and screaming into a more alive, organic, rock mode. The heavier songs — they play with gusto and flair — “How Soon is Now” and “November Spawned A Monster” are white hot sheets of guitar noise with percussive, impassioned drumming.

And then the voice: I wonder if he took singing lessons at some point later in life? Those who say he always sounds the same are simply lazy. His voice today is a much more tuned, musical instrument that it was in the Smith’s days — particularly the first album. As a singer, he’s now polished and sounds better than ever. It’s not only a voice to love or hate, but a voice to fall in love with, and when you see and hear Morrissey live, it’s easy to see exactly why fans fall in love and are so passionate over him.

Perhaps seeing him in concert, for the second and perhaps last time, I fell in love again with his music. It reminded me how great he really is, and how much the songs meant to me in my younger years, and to be honest those songs are always there — so he can make more bad songs if he chooses and I can simply not listen and celebrate their non-existence.

I’m wondering if there’s one lasting influence I took from the Smiths songs – essentially Morrissey. When he passed the mic around, one girl commented that his music changed her life, and another said she is a vegetarian because of him. I’m a vegetarian – though that’s not down to Morrissey. That’s largely down to seeing a large and beautiful animal that escaped from a meat works, chased around a field and murdered when I was a child. Yet it's amazing Morrissey has had this effect on people so far away, for the better.

His lasting influence for me is the importance of being an outsider. It’s the celebration of not being one of the “cool” crowd, one of the masses. It’s the importance of not fitting in, not going with the tide, not saying yes when you mean no. It’s that being “uncool” is actually very very cool.

Morrissey at 53, is very very cool.

I'm a writer, my first novel comes out in the US in January, and I posted a few thoughts on Morrissey and his influence, on my facebook author page (http://www.facebook.com/shanecfiler) after seeing his Wellington concert. Here's the more relevant review part though for those who are interested.

Morrissey's Wellington concert. I have to admit I have a somewhat mixed set of feelings towards him today. Perhaps because his songs were so important to me in the past, I’ve been even more disappointed by his often patchy solo career. I’ve always tried to like his post-Smiths work, but then some of it is pretty unlikeable — in particular albums full of anemic material like “Kill Uncle” or “Ringleader of the Tormentors”, and his recent clutch of new songs like “People are the Same Everywhere” are among the most tuneless, melody-less pieces of “music” I’ve ever heard performed by anyone. Maybe part of it is because he was once amazing, fans tend to expect more and their disappointment is deeper.

Yet as he walks out onto the stage, all negative thoughts fade. He is a star, a REAL one — of course there may be manufactured elements to the Morrissey persona, but you can be sure as hell it’s he who manufactured them, not a record company or Simon Cowell.

It strikes me how amazing it is that until he was 23, he was a loner, a shy outsider who had few (if any) relationships or friends, who lived with his mother, and largely stayed in his room reading and writing. Not a million miles from my own beginnings to be perfectly honest. Then suddenly, Johnny Marr, knocked on his door, and they formed the Smiths – the rest being history. Sounds very easy.

Today his demeanor suggests knowing confidence, and to walk out in front of a crowd of adoring fans and chat freely must encourage and breed this. I think there’s an aspect of when you’re ignored - to desire to be adored... and he — to his lasting credit — achieved it. I wonder what would have become of him if Marr hadn’t knocked on his door? I wonder if Morrissey ever thinks of this?

Perhaps so, if he relives the feelings in some of the songs he wrote when he was young, and many are played tonight; among them “I Know it’s Over” is particularly poignant. It’s unarguably one of Morrissey & Marr’s greatest moments — a song that ebbs and flows like a tide, diving depths of despair, yet crashing in truly uplifting waves as he sings “It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate — it takes guts to be gentle and kind.” I don’t know if more important words could be suggested for us, on a global or personal level.

Yes, his band of essentially session musicians (excluding the faithful Boz Boorer; tonight soldering on despite having fallen off a roof according to Morrissey), do lack subtlety, and it’s more apparent on the softer songs, and on Marr’s more complex arrangements, yet they do also add as well as take away. They add a consistency and indeed do manage to make some of the songs their own. They pull together quite diverse material, adding a rock edge to the pure pop songs Morrissey wrote with Stephen Street immediately after the Smith’s breakup. “Ouija Board, Ouija Board” benefits most; what is pristine and fey on record, is dragged kicking and screaming into a more alive, organic, rock mode. The heavier songs — they play with gusto and flair — “How Soon is Now” and “November Spawned A Monster” are white hot sheets of guitar noise with percussive, impassioned drumming.

And then the voice: I wonder if he took singing lessons at some point later in life? Those who say he always sounds the same are simply lazy. His voice today is a much more tuned, musical instrument that it was in the Smith’s days — particularly the first album. As a singer, he’s now polished and sounds better than ever. It’s not only a voice to love or hate, but a voice to fall in love with, and when you see and hear Morrissey live, it’s easy to see exactly why fans fall in love and are so passionate over him.

Perhaps seeing him in concert, for the second and perhaps last time, I fell in love again with his music. It reminded me how great he really is, and how much the songs meant to me in my younger years, and to be honest those songs are always there — so he can make more bad songs if he chooses and I can simply not listen and celebrate their non-existence.

I’m wondering if there’s one lasting influence I took from the Smiths songs – essentially Morrissey. When he passed the mic around, one girl commented that his music changed her life, and another said she is a vegetarian because of him. I’m a vegetarian – though that’s not down to Morrissey. That’s largely down to seeing a large and beautiful animal that escaped from a meat works, chased around a field and murdered when I was a child. Yet it's amazing Morrissey has had this effect on people so far away, for the better.

His lasting influence for me is the importance of being an outsider. It’s the celebration of not being one of the “cool” crowd, one of the masses. It’s the importance of not fitting in, not going with the tide, not saying yes when you mean no. It’s that being “uncool” is actually very very cool.

Morrissey at 53, is very very cool.

(excluding the faithful Boz Boorer; tonight soldering on despite having fallen off a roof according to Morrissey),
Boz Boorer is there anything this man cannot do ?
He's a roofer
Cross dresser
Plays Moz songs with broken arm
Can gain a bit of timber eating rabbit food
And now does his own soldering on stage, way to go Boz
It would be no suprise to me if he pilots the bloody plane as well.

November spawned a monster. Great. Have missed hearing that one live.

Thanks for the setlist :)

Yep surprised and ecstatic that he played monster. What an awesome concert, absolutely loved Meat is Murder too. I can die a happy death now.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom