Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Radcliffe and Maconie

UPDATE 5:30PM PT:

Response from Morrissey's rep:

'The Smiths will NEVER get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors - HitFix

This is what was just said on Radcliffe and Maconie on BBC6Music. The claim is that the next Coachella festival is to be meat free and 3 of the 4 Smiths will be playing there together.
The 1 missing was not named. You can listen to it online on BBc I-player, after 4 0 clock today when the show ends.
I hope it's true.

Other rumors at Holy Moly! (link posted by ToDieByYourSide):

The Smiths will reform in 2013 - confirmed by several sources with rumour of Glastonbury - Holy Moly!

Excerpt:

We’ve now heard from several credible sources that The Smiths have agreed to reform in 2013 for four UK shows. And despite such rumours turning out to be total balls in the past, this one has enough weight to it that we’re prepared to call it confirmed, and hang the consequences.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Ra

Wah, wah, wah, waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Oh well, it was fun imagining for a second, I had Meg White drumming for Joyce. I'd die to hear Johnny play FOTGTD or Pigsty. The Smiths ain't dead in my brain. :p

They wouldn't play Moz solo records. They would play an entire set of Cilla Black covers! Everyone knows that.

Re: Article: 75% of The Smiths to re-unite at Coachella Festival 2013 according to Ra

They wouldn't play Moz solo records. They would play an entire set of Cilla Black covers! Everyone knows that.

your joke is old and boring

Morrissey's doing just fine with the band he's got. I do feel bad for Johnny, he must be the most patient man in the universe putting up with everyone asking him all the time. He's a toker though, I bet that takes the edge off of the manic WHENARETHESMITHSGUNNAGETBACKTOGETHER! broken record. :D

The Smiths will NEVER reform because Morrissey hates Mikes guts, he'd never lower himself to working with Andy again, and Johnny and Moz have too much history and it would dent Moz's pride (and Johnny's)

The Smiths will NEVER reform because Morrissey hates Mikes guts, he'd never lower himself to working with Andy again, and Johnny and Moz have too much history and it would dent Moz's pride (and Johnny's)

CaptobviousChooseOption.gif

It would be a terrible shame if they got together again. It would tarnish their name. I was watching a Pixies gig on the telly and it was so sad. They were just a juke box playing the songs they learnt when they much much younger. I had to get my DVD of their 80's performance at the Town and country to remind myself that they were once good. I would hate to see Morrissey doing the same thing.

If it happens, it's the reasons for the reunion that will be interesting. Possible reasons:

1] artistic inspiration. new songs. re-imagining old songs for this decade.

Page and Plant tried this with 'Unledded', toured for a while, then wrote 'Walking into Clarksdale' which was ok but not a patch on earlier glories. No-one was interested until they 're-formed' in 2007 for 1 night only when the whole world went mad trying to get to see the famous 'Led Zeppelin' band/brand.

I'm not sure a 're-branded' The Smiths without their drummer will be any more authentic than Zep were without John Bonham. Interesting that it's the supposedly 'lawnmower' drummer in both bands who remains pivotal to the sound. Not that Mike Joyce is on a par with Bonham, but his Buzzcock style kit thrashing was sometimes awesome and is now essential to the sound.

2] Ye Olde Pension Funde

The continuing financial crisis, the collapse of legacy CD sales, the rigours of constant touring: all may force reluctant spendthrifts to the negotiating table, and other pop stars find even the soundest of off-shore tax strategies can be exhausted by luxurious living.....

3] Comedy Value:

Any reunion HAS to include Mike Joyce: it would be hilarious, like The Eagles saying they'd reform when 'Hell Freezes Over'. And that's what the called the 're-union' tour: the Hell Freezes Tour. Pure Spinal Tap genius. It would be such a money-spinner: Morrissey and Joyce in separate coaches/dressing rooms, uniting only on stage for a paycheck. It would be hilarious, comic genius. I can imagine the younger 'real' Morrissey having fun with this, after all when he was prancing around at Wolves Civic, Joyce was there in the background. I always thought that was a bit.....strange....!

4] Any reunion would have to take place in Britain initially. Like 'Black Sabbath' at Birmingham Academy (again without drummer Bill Ward...what is it with drummers?] it would not make sense for any reunion to happen in the deserts of California. Unless it's purely about cash: which it almost certainly is if it's happening.

If it happens, it has to be with Mike Joyce. Bonham died. Bill Ward banjaxed the Sabbath reunion because he felt the finances of the contracts stiff him...again, so it didn't really count. The Smiths without Mike Joyce is NOT The Smiths. It would be a pale facsimile. Morrissey and Marr are free to reunite as Marr Morrissey or Morrissey Marr and keep their remaining, dwindling credibility intact. Or they can accept they sabotaged potentially the greatest band of all time by not dotting 'i's and crossing 't's on contracts. In the latter case, they can pay up, end the dispute and reunite the full band in a spirit of reconciliation and sober maturity (lol!). And begin where it began: Manchester.

regards
BrummieBoy [very busy, won't be able to reply to any feedback probably. hope all are well!]

Re the question of using the name "The Smiths", i suggest Morrissey, Marr and Rourke get together (with a drummer, rhythm guitarist and keyboardist) and use the name "Smiths".
The coolest Smiths t-shirts were always the without the "The" anyway.

*I'd like £150,000 for this idea.

I am surprised that Marr has never used Joyce and Rourke as his gigging band though. More people would rather see them play with Marr than any line-up of "The Healers".

Edit: I'm actually not sure if Marr is on good terms with Joyce either.

Reasons that I put the odds slightly better than 50/50:

1) Moz does not have a record deal - nor will he get one of any size again
2) Moz has a book that he wants to sell and cushion his retirement
3) Moz's songs are no longer on the radio...nor are they very good
4) The Stone Roses - who were tiny beside The Smiths are massive now...and have shone a light on how this could go for the Smiths
5) Marr's new songs are sounding strangely like The Smiths for the first time in 10 years.
6) Mike Joyce strangely is posting about the royalties from his time in the band in a "nice" way...
7) Morrisseysworld.blogspot.com is suddenly down
8) Marr is not responding to this on FB the way he used to...

Stone Roses, The Smiths and The Grapes of Wrath...3 of my favorite bands from the 80s are reforming. I feel like I am 20 all over again...even though I am 40!

5) Marr's new songs are sounding strangely like The Smiths for the first time in 10 years.

Thought the same thing this AM when listening to Johnny's jam on Facebook vid

Reasons that I put the odds slightly better than 50/50:

1) Moz does not have a record deal - nor will he get one of any size again
2) Moz has a book that he wants to sell and cushion his retirement
3) Moz's songs are no longer on the radio...nor are they very good
4) The Stone Roses - who were tiny beside The Smiths are massive now...and have shone a light on how this could go for the Smiths
6) Mike Joyce strangely is posting about the royalties from his time in the band in a "nice" way...
7) Morrisseysworld.blogspot.com is suddenly down
8) Marr is not responding to this on FB the way he used to...

All of this pales in comparison to the monster of Morrissey's self-pride.

Theres more chance of Morrissey and Crystalgeezer getting married

All of this pales in comparison to the monster of Morrissey's self-pride.

No joke...as they say in sports :"Don't defeat yourself" Morrissey has a strange habit of defeating himself over and over. He had 3 opportunities to be huge...
1) The Smiths - he literally drove Marr out because he was such a diva and could not handle having a manager
2) Early Solo career - had the right team in place and wrote 3 great records - before Southpaw and Mal were released to a loud thump
3) Comeback...Quarry was a good return record then he released 2 terrible records...and now his band look like a off off off broadway dance line.

If he was sort of savy, reforming the smiths now would solidify him as a super super star.

Which is what he really wants deep down.

I don't care what denials are given, I've still got a feelin' about Moz and Marr next year.

P.

Reni said 2 weeks before Stone Roses announced that there was no chance. Part of the fun is the buzz that is generated by a suprise announcement.

But there are some signals that cannot be missed.

Morrissey has really slowed down his interest in a new album. The new songs are terrible...and signal to me that he is not interested in releasing another solo album.

His book would be huge if a reformed Smiths happened...literally #1 in the UK and maybe in the USA.

As much as artists talk about the art of it, the $$ would ensure that they would be secure until their dying days. The one variable is that Moz has no kids or ex wives to support like Ian Brown...

Could the healers be a cover for a new Marr/ Moz record?

That would be a killer comeback. Johnny is literally sharing new smiths songs as healer songs...and bam! The Smiths reform, new record in the can and instantly avail for sale online. Epic. But not likely.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom