Who could Morrissey collaborate with?

My standard of 'good' is really really low after watching this.

I was mocking Kewpie, not Franissey. Although I think all Morrissey covers are hideous.

I can see where that song in particular wouldn't really have worked out if Moz had tried. But I personally really enjoyed The Tears, and I think that kind of style that Butler was working with for later McAlmont & Butler and The Tears would've been fantastic for Morrissey. At the very least, Butler is a phenomenal producer, and Moz could only benefit from employing him in that regards in the future.

I'll take that Tears album over anything Suede did post Coming Up. Some great songs on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like The XX, but haven't seen their live yet.
Not sure if their live is as good as their recorded materials.

Your idea is interesting. However, if my memory is correct, Morrissey turned down The Sparks who wanted to work with him.

I didn't know he'd turned down Sparks, I can see why, too electronic.

I didn't mean to call the xx too electronic, they use guitars (but no real drums sadly) I think I meant they are possibly a bit too 'dance' influenced for Morrissey's tastes. I think their stripped down almost naiive approach would suit him well.Here's a typical song from them:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UfTfHTUUee4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hopefully will embed YouTube vid 'Shelter' (never done it before) if not here's link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3EBzperd_c

Would make for an utterly bewitching collaboration I think!

Last edited:
Ahh it's a shame he turned Sparks down! :( One of my favourite bands.
Perhaps Patti Smith would be a good choice, her last album was very good I thought...
or Bat for Lashes? She did a track with Scott Walker.
I think he'd be better working with a female singer perhaps, unless it's David Byrne, not sure how that would work but :cool:
He's probably quite difficult to work with...

Re:

Ahh it's a shame he turned Sparks down! One of my favourite bands.
Perhaps Patti Smith would be a good choice, her last album was very good I thought.

I think he'd be better working with a female singer perhaps, unless it's David Byrne, not sure how that would work but.
He's probably quite difficult to work with.

Morrissey seems to make his mind up that "not to work with his heros / heroines again" after the collaboration with Sandie Shaw and bad experience with David Bowie.

Last edited:
Re:

Morrissey seems to make his mind up that "not to work with his heros / heroines again" after the collaboration with Sandie Shaw and bad experience with David Bowie.

I guess that explains why he turned down the New York Dolls's offer to be on their album.
I remember being really surprised when I read that in an interview.

Last edited:
Re:

I think he needs collaboration from a musical backing direction rather than a vocal direction.

Davids Byrne and Bowie, Patti Smith etc. would be wrong for vocal & ego reasons I think.

Sorry to keep clanging on but I still think The xx or some act with production skills would suit best.

Re:

I think he needs collaboration from a musical backing direction rather than a vocal direction.

Davids Byrne and Bowie, Patti Smith etc. would be wrong for vocal & ego reasons I think.

Sorry to keep clanging on but I still think The xx or some act with production skills would suit best.

In few years I bet you would wonder what made you to dream of The XX and Morrissey collaboration.

The XX's musical style does not suit to Morrissey because he prefers guitar orientated sound.

Last edited:
Re:

Jonny Greenwood is now at genius levels with his film soundtrack work and was always a brilliant guitarist with you-know-who.

Could be great.

Re:

In few years I bet you would wonder what made you to dream of The XX and Morrissey collaboration.

The XX's musical style does not suit to Morrissey because he prefers guitar orientated sound.

You may be right!

However it's precisely because it would be quite different for him that the idea is so intriguing for me, I can honestly hear his voice soaring above the sparse backing.

Re:

Aimee Mann! Her music is very simple, but melodic and very easy on the ear. I think their voices would really compliment each others.

Re:

Aimee Mann! Her music is very simple, but melodic and very easy on the ear. I think their voices would really compliment each others.

He isn't fit to soundcheck her microphone.

Re:

Jonny Greenwood is now at genius levels with his film soundtrack work and was always a brilliant guitarist with you-know-who.

Could be great.

Nice idea. I wouldn't complain if he co-wrote an LP with Greenwood or Bernard Butler and it was produced by Nigel Godrich.

Back
Top Bottom