Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheila Take A Bow

• Girlfriend In A Coma

• Total voters
Damn you, hardest choice ever in my life....I picked "This Charming Man". Probably the most obvious choice I could have made. The second choice I was going to make was "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore". I still cringe when I see some of these songs as singles, whilst more popular songs like "There's A Light" were not used. They should have at least released it as a third single, it probably would have gone to No1.

Has Morrissey performed all these singles live in his solo career? i cant remember a rendition of What Diffrence Does It Make.
Maybe i'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Has Morrissey performed all these singles live in his solo career? i cant remember a rendition of What Diffrence Does It Make.
Maybe i'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

No, he doesn't like the song. He hasn't liked it since 1984/85 apparently :(
He has never sung "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" live in his solo career either :( I'm not sure if he hates it though...Maybe someone should ask him about it? I've always wanted to know why Morrissey has never sung "Reel Around The Fountain" either. It's a brilliant song and everyone knows it!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, he doesn't like the song. He hasn't liked it since 1984/85 apparently :(
He has never sung "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" live in his solo career either :( I'm not sure if he hates it though...Maybe someone should ask him about it? I've always wanted to know why Morrissey has never sung "Reel Around The Fountain" either. It's a brilliant song and everyone knows it!

Its a shame, as it was the first Smith's song I'd heard, i remember it as a pivotal moment in my life!
Before listening and trying to decipher lyrics, reserching the band and its members and reading shite, there has to be a bangin song. A fantastic guitar intro, followed by different and exciting sounding vocals and complimentary rythems, it had it all.
I agree, that it was not Morrissey's best lyrical content, but on that Saturday night 18th Birthday party, it was the spark for me! I still remember it fondly.

Heaven Knows, and Reel Around the Fountain are both excellent and should also be given an airing, but after What difference Does It Make.

Its a shame, as it was the first Smith's song I'd heard, i remember it as a pivotal moment in my life!
Before listening and trying to decipher lyrics, reserching the band and its members and reading shite, there has to be a bangin song. A fantastic guitar intro, followed by different and exciting sounding vocals and complimentary rythems, it had it all.
I agree, that it was not Morrissey's best lyrical content, but on that Saturday night 18th Birthday party, it was the spark for me! I still remember it fondly.

Heaven Knows, and Reel Around the Fountain are both excellent and should also be given an airing, but after What difference Does It Make.

I personally don't think he likes many of The Smiths early songs anymore. He keeps saying it's silly for him to be singing songs he wrote over 20 years ago, but his early songs have amazing lyrics on them. They are the classics, unlike his last 3 albums.

I personally don't think he likes many of The Smiths early songs anymore. He keeps saying it's silly for him to be singing songs he wrote over 20 years ago, but his early songs have amazing lyrics on them. They are the classics, unlike his last 3 albums.
I dunno, I think Years of Refusal, had hidden depths. I played it to death on release, then didnt listen to it for ages (same as Southpaw), then revisited it after a good while and enjoyed it even more.
Ringleader was overproduced a tad, imho, but still good.
Quarry had 'catchier' tracks, and might have introduced Morrissey to new fans, but equally the next two releases probably alienated these newer followers, which is why he has no record deal and no new album release...................
This aside, Vauxall was the crest of the wave, everything else is pale by comparison after it.
When you have been around as long as Moz has, live performances should always include classics (Smiths and solo). Problem is modern concert goers want more 'classics' than newer tracks, which equals stagnation.

I dunno, I think Years of Refusal, had hidden depths. I played it to death on release, then didnt listen to it for ages (same as Southpaw), then revisited it after a good while and enjoyed it even more.
Ringleader was overproduced a tad, imho, but still good.
Quarry had 'catchier' tracks, and might have introduced Morrissey to new fans, but equally the next two releases probably alienated these newer followers, which is why he has no record deal and no new album release...................
This aside, Vauxall was the crest of the wave, everything else is pale by comparison after it.
When you have been around as long as Moz has, live performances should always include classics (Smiths and solo). Problem is modern concert goers want more 'classics' than newer tracks, which equals stagnation.

Hmm. I still don't think you can compare it to The Smiths though. They are in a league above Morrissey's post 1991 stuff.

Re: Favourite Smiths era Single (82-87)?

Singles from the Smiths- 12%
Singles from Meat is Murder- 7%
Singles from the Queen is Dead- 19%
Singles from Strangeways...- 0%
non-album Singles- 62%

He's said in some interviews that there are a few of his older songs that he doesn't feel comfortable singing anymore, seeing as how he is now in his 50's. It's not neccesarily that he dislikes them- What Difference Does it Make aside.
I mean, the ongoing tour seems to have as many -if not more- Smiths songs on it than ones from his solo career!

Anyway, as far as the poll goes, my vote goes with How Soon is Now?

He's said in some interviews that there are a few of his older songs that he doesn't feel comfortable singing anymore, seeing as how he is now in his 50's. It's not neccesarily that he dislikes them- What Difference Does it Make aside.
I mean, the ongoing tour seems to have as many -if not more- Smiths songs on it than ones from his solo career!

Anyway, as far as the poll goes, my vote goes with How Soon is Now?

Yeah I know...but I still don't understand which songs he can't sing now he's in his 50s. What's wrong with singing Reel Around The Fountain or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore? He sings This Charming Man and Still Ill, which are both really old songs with dated lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom