David Cameron's Holiday reading

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
There's a good and complimentary review of Tony Fletcher's new Smiths book in today's Sunday Times (online version behind paywall). In a related article, there's also this...

24dijxs.jpg

P.

Very sad to see that the publisher used Cameron to publicise the book.

Also really pathetic to see another lazy mention of Mancunian miserabilists. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
'By refusing to reform, they defied the capitalist logic which insists that bands such as U2 or REM persist long after their relevance has passed. (The otherwise confused "Paint a Vulgar Picture", on their patchy swan song Strangeways, Here We Come, predicted and rejected this inevitability.)'

can anyone parse/translate this?

I'll have a go, The Smiths split up before they went shite and haven't reformed so they still haven't made any shite, other than Strangeways.

Personally I think Strangeways is the best proper album which means imo the journalist didn't stop writing before they started spouting shite.

Events surrounding The Smiths break-up, Apr 1987

Courteosy of the Guardian's review of the two literary "masterpieces" out now (John Harris, lead writer on the paper no less!)

A video was due to be filmed in London's Battersea, which would boost the Smiths' fast-rising profile in the US. Three of the Smiths turned up, but Morrissey hid away in his flat in Knightsbridge. Fletcher is the first writer to have got the full story, thanks to the American video director Tamra Davis, who was part of the three-person deputation sent to try and convince him to change his mind. She gives Fletcher a simple anecdote that captures the moment at which the band began to break up: "I remember very distinctly that I had no idea if Morrissey was standing behind that door laughing at the three of us pleading with him, or crying … Johnny was like, 'That's it. The band is over' … And he walks away." The crucial moment came later, at a meal Marr organised for the Smiths in a Notting Hill fish and chip restaurant. As the Smiths' bassist Andy Rourke later acknowledged, there was something grimly fitting in the fact that a group so synonymous with northern grit effectively "broke up in a chippy".

Don't worry mods I'll edit the post myself, what a marvellous functionality the edit button is. Who'd have thought the break-up of The Smiths wasn't worthy of a thread in itself? Not me. Maybe if I post a video of me knocking one out to Last Night I Dream't That Somebody Loved Me on youtube whilst a Pete Doherty look-a-like blows his "vuvezela" up my bwatty and Russell Brand tells a joke. In an unusual way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/06/light-smiths-tony-fletcher-review

And what has Harry Rag ever done wrong? His post detailing the review seems to have disappeared. It's ok to call Morrissey out for being a fag hag but dare to bring someone's attention to a story and its goodnight from him. And goodnight from me.

I hope I spelt courteosy correctly. As in common.

I'm now confused as to why this is an item on the s(o)low news page but tucked away in the forum thread?

Last edited:
Re: Events surrounding The Smiths break-up, Apr 1987

Good review. Was Morrissey 'still ill' or 'something else' when he did all these health-related cancellations/fear of Fame self-sabotage? Take your pick. Who really destroyed The Smiths? What if they had agreed a U2 4 way split? 'One step down from The Beatles'......lol! There's a very, very long staircase with one indisputably at the top and one way down the steps of the supposed rock/pop Mt Olympus. Liverpool vs Manchester: no contest!

The world moves on regardless.

regards

'BrummieBoy'

Re: Events surrounding The Smiths break-up, Apr 1987

Hopefully his holiday won't be ruined this year with any pesky rioting or other crises. ;)
I suppose]/i] he could find stuff to enjoy from Morrissey's music...

According to this article all sports but soccer are strictly upper class and most of the popstars are privately educated as well. He could be listening to them.
[I don't mean to dig on private school kids but Cameron does kind of represent the worst of the lot.]

Back
Top Bottom