Morrissey-solo Wiki launched Aug. 28, 2012

The Morrissey-solo Wiki is now live! After several months of work getting the architecture, technical details and initial content / examples in place, it's ready for your input, which will be the most important factor in its success or failure. Take a look around, this is and likely always will be a work in progress so suggestions and feedback will always be welcome. The main focus is on factual and verifiable Morrissey/Smiths-related information and to improve organization of information on this site and elsewhere.

From the main page of the wiki there are links to the main sections. Here are some example pages to follow for reference:

See a mistake or want to add some information? All contributions are welcome, whoever you are, as long as they are factual. If you have an issue with an individual user, other parts of the site, or me personally I hope you will overlook that and still contribute to this resource. If you prefer to edit information 'anonymously', you can login with the wiki-only user account (username / password: Wikiuser / solowiki). All edits will be monitored and reviewed for veracity and abuse. Check the Recent Changes page for the latest edits.

Again I want to emphasize this is just the beginning, there are a lot of pages that need to be created, gaps to be filled, features to be created. Wiki editing has a bit of a learning curve but with a little effort I believe anyone can be comfortable with it. At the start I am focused on fixing any technical / design issues. Please leave feedback either here in this thread / site suggestions forum or on the 'discussion' tabs of the wiki individual wiki pages. Suggestions can also be made on the To-do list / Suggestions wiki page. Overall the project is way beyond what I expected for the initial launch and I have great expectations for it over the years.

Credits

The idea of adding a wiki section to the site came from !Viva Hate! back in April 2012. Following some research I found the MuseWiki as an example for an artist wiki and the MediaWiki software and then followed the example of Wikipedia as a general reference. Thanks to bepe for the vBulletin / MediaWiki integration code.

The Morrissey-solo Wiki came together because of those volunteers listed below working under the floorboards for the past several months. Thanks especially to !Viva Hate! for the initial idea of adding a wiki section to the site and for working out the structure and early pages to set good examples to follow.

!Viva Hate!:

• General wiki architecture and categorization
  • Morrissey / Smiths album and single discography
  • Morrissey / Smiths song pages, lyrics
  • Current / past band line-ups and personnel
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history, media appearances
  • Morrissey-solo Wiki mastheads
MozRecording:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history content
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
  • Morrissey video discography
Skylarker:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
Kewpie:

• Initial list of influences

Last edited:
I hope there are precautions in place to prevent trolling. It seems like a whole new playground has been opened up and while I'm sure it's impossible to moderate the editing of info, steps should be taken to at least keep an eye on it.

Edits are traceable, as far as I know. Offenders would theoretically be banned from entering further information.

Additionally, at this stage anyway, there are multiple people still working to update the initial information. If some dumbass comes along and changes Morrissey's band member info to include, say, the Marx brothers, then that edit is going to be seen quickly and fixed.

I hope there are precautions in place to prevent trolling. It seems like a whole new playground has been opened up and while I'm sure it's impossible to moderate the editing of info, steps should be taken to at least keep an eye on it.

The software tracks all edits. At this point, they're all reviewed and "rolled back" if needed. The software makes it pretty easy to just remove the offending edits without changing anything useful that may have been added by others. For users of the anonymous account, the IP of the change is logged and can be banned if needed. This info isn't available by default to editors and any searching of the database by them is logged. -MR

Sad son,

I just wish the Jessie Tobias part said (2004-2012) on it.

Oh well.

We'll let you know.

Ugh.... http://memebase.cheezburger.com/dolanpls

There's also a nyan cat one that's slightly more humorous.

Solowiki2.gif

I like this. Do we still need passions back if we've got Morrissey solo wiki?

I'm learning new things already. I never knew Stephen Street played on unreleased tracks from the 'Years of Refusal' sessions.

I'm learning new things already. I never knew Stephen Street played on unreleased tracks from the 'Years of Refusal' sessions.

An obvious mistake in the initial creation of the page and copying templates over. Thanks for pointing it out.

Any help with correcting the data copied from templates would be greatly appreciated. It's particularly prevalent in the templates for songs and tour lineups. -MR

A wiki should have been a feature of this site for many years now. It is a feature of many fansites.

Can you name some of these 'many fansites' with this feature? All of the artist/band wikis I've seen are standalone and are not integrated.

Yes we do.

Of course we do. There are many wonderful places out there where folks catalogue the amazing things done by Morrissey and The Smiths. I think the wiki can be a complement to them. A place where folks that don't feel like running a site can, none the less, share their knowledge. I think what the wiki becomes is up to us, the fans. If we use it, add to it and share it can become a really useful thing for all of us. Or we can sit back, nit pick the errors and wait for someone else to do something to fix it. I choose trying to fix it. -MR

Of course we do. There are many wonderful places out there where folks catalogue the amazing things done by Morrissey and The Smiths. I think the wiki can be a complement to them. A place where folks that don't feel like running a site can, none the less, share their knowledge. I think what the wiki becomes is up to us, the fans. If we use it, add to it and share it can become a really useful thing for all of us. Or we can sit back, nit pick the errors and wait for someone else to do something to fix it. I choose trying to fix it. -MR

Well said. The internet is big enough for all Morrissey sites to co-exist and complement each other.

I can tell if a new feature or redesign will be successful when the trolls come out during the announcement saying that it won't be, it's like clockwork. Since any user has the power to edit / shape the wiki, it's a good test to see who actually wants to fix something and who prefers to complain about how things are.

From an article on complainers I read recently:

"There's a big difference between bringing your attention to something that's awry and a complaint," Blake says. "Typically, people who are complaining don't want a solution; they just want you to join in the indignity of the whole thing. You can almost hear brains clink when six people get together and start saying, 'Isn't it terrible?' This will damage your brain even if you're just passively listening. And if you try to change their behavior, you'll become the target of the complaint."

By controlling the central online source of information about Morrissey, you aspire to have additional leverage with him. That's of course what this is about. You're doubling-down yet again in your quest to have influence with/over him, and getting deeper into the Morrissey business, even though he's loudly told you to remove yourself from his coat tails. Do you really think he still might hire you--even it's just to force you to stop embarrassing him by association?

Helping you design this project: two of this site's most puerile abusers, people who have been proven dishonest, malicious, and wildly disfunctional. But they have flattered you and insulted your critics, so you link arms with them. Again: Morrissey-Solo business as usual.... When they realize the lay of the land and speak up about the problems they'll inevitably encounter, you'll allow your pet trolls of the moment to harass them at length, no holds barred. The contributors will recall that the site's TOS forbade harassment, perhaps complain--then be punished for complaining. Astonished and saddened, they'll depart. New users, as unaware of the pattern as the old ones were, will replace them, then wise up, then criticize, then be attacked, then be replaced... And on and on it goes...

There's something to this, for one because it immediately came true after appearing, i.e. the anonymous poster's identity was spelled out without their consent. Given Morrissey's known objections to this site, the expansion online on his back is, at a human and moral level, lamentable.

There's something to this, for one because it immediately came true after appearing, i.e. the anonymous poster's identity was spelled out without their consent. Given Morrissey's known objections to this site, the expansion online on his back is, at a human and moral level, lamentable.

Actually I did not think know that was his real name (and still don't), he has probably used over a hundred aliases on the site.

Actually I did not think know that was his real name (and still don't), he has probably used over a hundred aliases on the site.

Do you blame him?? Oh, and btw, this is not one of Morrissey's hundreds of alises. David can expose the IP address of this lil' post.

Helping you design this project: two of this site's most puerile abusers, people who have been proven dishonest, malicious, and wildly disfunctional. But they have flattered you and insulted your critics, so you link arms with them. Again: Morrissey-Solo business as usual.

I've got two words for ya, baby.

"Boo" and "hoo."

I've got two words for ya, baby.

"Boo" and "hoo."

Yikes. I hope Davidt foots the bill for you to take a community college Public Relations course. :o

Lamentable ? In what way ? I'd always understood that this wasn't a website for Morrissey but, rather ,for Morrissey fans. It seems unlikely the discography , tour histories, etc. of the Wiki will feature the same volume of caustic banter found elsewhere here ....

Quite genuinely , I don't follow your argument at all. I wouldn't mind , goinghome , hearing a bit more from you on your concern ( I hope it goes without saying that I'm not interested in baiting/bickering/blathering/blustering/bluffing/ etc ... :) ) ....

Lamentable ? In what way ? I'd always understood that this wasn't a website for Morrissey but, rather ,for Morrissey fans. It seems unlikely the discography , tour histories, etc. of the Wiki will feature the same volume of caustic banter found elsewhere here ....

Quite genuinely , I don't follow your argument at all. I wouldn't mind , goinghome , hearing a bit more from you on your concern ( I hope it goes without saying that I'm not interested in baiting/bickering/blathering/blustering/bluffing/ etc ... :) ) ....

Although I welcome the contributions, it seems a bit hypocritical for goinghome to make that statement and yet continue to visit / post on the site.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom