Morrissey-solo Wiki launched Aug. 28, 2012

The Morrissey-solo Wiki is now live! After several months of work getting the architecture, technical details and initial content / examples in place, it's ready for your input, which will be the most important factor in its success or failure. Take a look around, this is and likely always will be a work in progress so suggestions and feedback will always be welcome. The main focus is on factual and verifiable Morrissey/Smiths-related information and to improve organization of information on this site and elsewhere.

From the main page of the wiki there are links to the main sections. Here are some example pages to follow for reference:

See a mistake or want to add some information? All contributions are welcome, whoever you are, as long as they are factual. If you have an issue with an individual user, other parts of the site, or me personally I hope you will overlook that and still contribute to this resource. If you prefer to edit information 'anonymously', you can login with the wiki-only user account (username / password: Wikiuser / solowiki). All edits will be monitored and reviewed for veracity and abuse. Check the Recent Changes page for the latest edits.

Again I want to emphasize this is just the beginning, there are a lot of pages that need to be created, gaps to be filled, features to be created. Wiki editing has a bit of a learning curve but with a little effort I believe anyone can be comfortable with it. At the start I am focused on fixing any technical / design issues. Please leave feedback either here in this thread / site suggestions forum or on the 'discussion' tabs of the wiki individual wiki pages. Suggestions can also be made on the To-do list / Suggestions wiki page. Overall the project is way beyond what I expected for the initial launch and I have great expectations for it over the years.

Credits

The idea of adding a wiki section to the site came from !Viva Hate! back in April 2012. Following some research I found the MuseWiki as an example for an artist wiki and the MediaWiki software and then followed the example of Wikipedia as a general reference. Thanks to bepe for the vBulletin / MediaWiki integration code.

The Morrissey-solo Wiki came together because of those volunteers listed below working under the floorboards for the past several months. Thanks especially to !Viva Hate! for the initial idea of adding a wiki section to the site and for working out the structure and early pages to set good examples to follow.

!Viva Hate!:

• General wiki architecture and categorization
  • Morrissey / Smiths album and single discography
  • Morrissey / Smiths song pages, lyrics
  • Current / past band line-ups and personnel
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history, media appearances
  • Morrissey-solo Wiki mastheads
MozRecording:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history content
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
  • Morrissey video discography
Skylarker:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
Kewpie:

• Initial list of influences

Last edited:
Thank you. In regards to David's request one make the edit contextual, I would offer that given the fact he sings the very line in an operatic style suggests that he's not singing about a book.

He sings parts of Come Back To Camden and Miserable Lie in an operatic falsetto as well. That has nothing to do with the words he's singing, or the overall subject matter.

Furthermore, one could just as easily reference the autobiography aspect which at the time of this performance was very big news and could be seen as being just as "contextual" regarding interpretation of the lyric.

Could be. Hopefully he gets a record deal and the song gets released. Lots of other stuff to put up in the meantime though. -MR

Your efforts are much appreciated.

I want to express my appreciation for all you people who care enough to add to this resource. It pleases me (the squabbles notwithstanding!)
I have all of the books. Each has something to add. Is there a place to list the books on SmithsMorrissey in Wiki.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
I want to express my appreciation for all you people who care enough to add to this resource. It pleases me (the squabbles notwithstanding!)
I have all of the books. Each has something to add. Is there a place to list the books on SmithsMorrissey in Wiki.
Just a suggestion.

I've thought about this too and it's a great idea. I'm in the middle of compiling a list. Any suggestions would be great. Even David Bret's books qualify!

Just a suggestion.

I agree, it's a good idea. I'll add it to the To-Do List / Suggestions page, feel free to add other suggestions there. You can also create a page for a book if you wish, using the example Mozipedia as a template.

Last edited:
Lamentable ? In what way ? I'd always understood that this wasn't a website for Morrissey but, rather ,for Morrissey fans. It seems unlikely the discography , tour histories, etc. of the Wiki will feature the same volume of caustic banter found elsewhere here ....

Quite genuinely , I don't follow your argument at all. I wouldn't mind , goinghome , hearing a bit more from you on your concern ( I hope it goes without saying that I'm not interested in baiting/bickering/blathering/blustering/bluffing/ etc ... :) ) ....

I haven't really anything to clarify or add, except to say that what's being done isn't without consequences and is the sort of thing to come back, with the ripening of time, to bite individually and/or collectively.

ok. I want to list all the books with details. How do I do it. I see the Mozipedia one but how do I replicate this for other publications. Sorry if I am too simple for all this! I want to learn and contribute!

ok. I want to list all the books with details. How do I do it. I see the Mozipedia one but how do I replicate this for other publications. Sorry if I am too simple for all this! I want to learn and contribute!

There is a bit of a learning curve to adding / editing pages. To add a page, either add the wiki link to an existing page, for example I just added "The Severed Alliance" and "A Light That Never Goes Out" to the To-do / Suggestions page. You can use the sandbox if you want to test out changes / adding links, etc. Or if you are confident with the URL format for the page that will be created, you can just type out the URL in the browser to create a page:

Code:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance

It should format the characters properly to form the desired title.

In addition, I've tried to give some information about how to use the existing code to create a new entry. You can view it at:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Talk:Mozipedia

Do any board members get pages for being "personalities" on this site?

Didn't Wolstencroft play on a few Smiths demos? Maybe he wasn't an official Smith, but surely he's as "unofficial" as Hibbert who didn't really stay with the Smiths much longer than a few months.

Didn't Wolstencroft play on a few Smiths demos? Maybe he wasn't an official Smith, but surely he's as "unofficial" as Hibbert who didn't really stay with the Smiths much longer than a few months.

He played on the Decibel Studios demo tape. Two songs. Suffer Little Children and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.*

*Simon Goddard, Mozipedia, page 486.

He played on the Decibel Studios demo tape. Two songs. Suffer Little Children and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.*

*Simon Goddard, Mozipedia, page 486.

Would you class him as a "Smith" like Hibbert? Maybe somewhere in the 1982 line up?

Would you class him as a "Smith" like Hibbert? Maybe somewhere in the 1982 line up?

No, not anymore than I would classify Morrissey's parents as "Smiths." People who led to the creation of what we know as The Smiths are not, by virtue of the hand they played in things, Smiths in and of themselves.

I'm puzzled about this ' Wiki' part

but I know 1 thing for sure Morrissey's Utrecht gig in 1991, was may the 1rst NOT as mentioned the 2nd

all the best to keep it well informed

but I know 1 thing for sure Morrissey's Utrecht gig in 1991, was may the 1rst NOT as mentioned the 2nd

OK so if you notice what you know is a glaring factual error, change it and provide the correct info, preferably with references. That is what is encouraged from the get-go...to create a user-operated database of factual, non-biased information. No entry is implicitly infallible, nor is any member. That's why references are important and that's why it's essential to keep an eye out for errors.

It's all well and good for you to complain and to cite what you "know for sure" is an error, but as of three hours after you posted that claim here in the forums, you have made no attempt to log in to the Wiki and edit the information you are citing as untrue.

Thanks, the wiki page has been updated to show the correct date, I determined it was an input error on my part. If you see any other errors feel free to let someone know or as Skylarker said, see if you can actually fix it yourself. This fix was a little more complex as it involved moving a page to a new link as the date was part of the title / link. I used the 'what links here' on the left side nav of the page before moving it to determine what other pages needed to be corrected with the link change.

OK so if you notice what you know is a glaring factual error, change it and provide the correct info, preferably with references. That is what is encouraged from the get-go...to create a user-operated database of factual, non-biased information. No entry is implicitly infallible, nor is any member. That's why references are important and that's why it's essential to keep an eye out for errors.

It's all well and good for you to complain and to cite what you "know for sure" is an error, but as of three hours after you posted that claim here in the forums, you have made no attempt to log in to the Wiki and edit the information you are citing as untrue.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom