Morrissey-solo Wiki launched Aug. 28, 2012

The Morrissey-solo Wiki is now live! After several months of work getting the architecture, technical details and initial content / examples in place, it's ready for your input, which will be the most important factor in its success or failure. Take a look around, this is and likely always will be a work in progress so suggestions and feedback will always be welcome. The main focus is on factual and verifiable Morrissey/Smiths-related information and to improve organization of information on this site and elsewhere.

From the main page of the wiki there are links to the main sections. Here are some example pages to follow for reference:

See a mistake or want to add some information? All contributions are welcome, whoever you are, as long as they are factual. If you have an issue with an individual user, other parts of the site, or me personally I hope you will overlook that and still contribute to this resource. If you prefer to edit information 'anonymously', you can login with the wiki-only user account (username / password: Wikiuser / solowiki). All edits will be monitored and reviewed for veracity and abuse. Check the Recent Changes page for the latest edits.

Again I want to emphasize this is just the beginning, there are a lot of pages that need to be created, gaps to be filled, features to be created. Wiki editing has a bit of a learning curve but with a little effort I believe anyone can be comfortable with it. At the start I am focused on fixing any technical / design issues. Please leave feedback either here in this thread / site suggestions forum or on the 'discussion' tabs of the wiki individual wiki pages. Suggestions can also be made on the To-do list / Suggestions wiki page. Overall the project is way beyond what I expected for the initial launch and I have great expectations for it over the years.

Credits

The idea of adding a wiki section to the site came from !Viva Hate! back in April 2012. Following some research I found the MuseWiki as an example for an artist wiki and the MediaWiki software and then followed the example of Wikipedia as a general reference. Thanks to bepe for the vBulletin / MediaWiki integration code.

The Morrissey-solo Wiki came together because of those volunteers listed below working under the floorboards for the past several months. Thanks especially to !Viva Hate! for the initial idea of adding a wiki section to the site and for working out the structure and early pages to set good examples to follow.

!Viva Hate!:

• General wiki architecture and categorization
  • Morrissey / Smiths album and single discography
  • Morrissey / Smiths song pages, lyrics
  • Current / past band line-ups and personnel
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history, media appearances
  • Morrissey-solo Wiki mastheads
MozRecording:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths live history content
  • Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
  • Morrissey video discography
Skylarker:

• Initial Morrissey / Smiths bootlegs content
Kewpie:

• Initial list of influences

Last edited:
Could details of promo releases be added to the discography - especially Morrissey releases as many of them had alternative artwork. Most (probably all) can be found via Vulgar Picture.

I notice the original post by DavidT says that the Wiki is for "factual and verifiable Morrissey/Smiths-related information" but is there a place of debate about what is factual? Or will it be a war of attrition between editors with differing views? See the discussion about Davyhulme being his home town, I'd also question whether http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/ is his official site, that mantle probably lies with True to You these days.

Dave

I'm new to this... but I think the idea is that if you notice something incorrect, you log on and change it.

Exactly. You post your edits and reference any sources. Feel free to PM me or others if there's something confusing about formatting you need help with (and trust me, it can get confusing). If something is open to interpretation, you note it on the Discussions page where you made the edit and it gets hashed out. If it's something huge, then yeah, maybe open a thread in the forums to go over it. But for the most part, if you dump data in the forums that's where it'll stay. If you want something changed in the wiki, you'll need to head over there and update it yourself. -MR

Thank you guys for this! One question though, what's with the duck on the main page?

Last edited:
Could details of promo releases be added to the discography - especially Morrissey releases as many of them had alternative artwork. Most (probably all) can be found via Vulgar Picture.

Absolutely.

I notice the original post by DavidT says that the Wiki is for "factual and verifiable Morrissey/Smiths-related information" but is there a place of debate about what is factual? Or will it be a war of attrition between editors with differing views? See the discussion about Davyhulme being his home town, I'd also question whether http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/ is his official site, that mantle probably lies with True to You these days.

Dave

I prefer to think that "facts" aren't open to debate but "interpretation of facts" are. The forums is a great place to go over interpretation of facts. For the wiki, you simple mark them. For example, update the wiki with Birthplace as one item and first family home as another. For official sites, you could note that on "such and such date" http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com was referenced as his official site but starting in "such and such year" Morrissey statements began appearing first at TTY. It's all good that way.

Hope you and others have free cycles to pitch in. There's so much information to collect and share.

-MR

Good points on 'hometown' and 'years active', I've removed those items from the info box. That info is from Wikipedia and I agree it's debatable.

Rough Trade is listed as a label on The Smiths page, it may be a bit confusing to list it on the Morrissey page as he was never on Rough Trade as a solo artist.

I'm new to this... but I think the idea is that if you notice something incorrect, you log on and change it.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, clearly his hometown should be Manchester. I doubt that Morrissey has any affinity with Davyhulme, in fact very few people have, even those who live there would probably describe themselves as being from Urmston.

Whilst were on that page, why isn't Rough Trade listed as one of his labels? And why is he listed as being 'active' from 1977? What was he doing in 1977 that he wasn't doing in 1976?

Dave

ps - great work so far to all involved in setting up the site!

The site already had that 'information archive', 'assimilating new information as it develops' actually.

You're actually referring to forum threads. Incredible. This was always a particular moderator's ridiculous pretense: that a list of conversations is a library. An obvious point that has been made in the past: if there is no index to the information, then that claim is ridiculous.

A wiki is an information archive. A wiki should have been a feature of this site for many years now. It is a feature of many fansites. The linked post should perhaps have used the term "wiki," as you evidently require webspeak in your reading, of you have absolutely no idea what you've read--even it's a two-sentence post suggesting an encyclopedia.

Going by your argument, you could say any idea for a new feature on the site spawned from that post,

No, that obviously does not at all follow from my "argument"--which was simply to link to a post in which an online Morrissey encyclopedia had previously been suggested, which indisputably disproved your claim that the suggestion was made by this site's most disgusting stalker in 2012.

when it actually had no influence.

The suggestion certainly had no influence--when it was made by a critic of yourself. When it was later made by a troll--an admitted stalker and harasser and spreader of misinformation, who had been bathing you in flattery--you acted. And thus Morrissey-Solo's longtime pattern of pathology continues.

By controlling the central online source of information about Morrissey, you aspire to have additional leverage with him. That's of course what this is about. You're doubling-down yet again in your quest to have influence with/over him, and getting deeper into the Morrissey business, even though he's loudly told you to remove yourself from his coat tails. Do you really think he still might hire you--even it's just to force you to stop embarrassing him by association?

Helping you design this project: two of this site's most puerile abusers, people who have been proven dishonest, malicious, and wildly disfunctional. But they have flattered you and insulted your critics, so you link arms with them. Again: Morrissey-Solo business as usual.

People who've not noticed this pattern will cheerfully contribute to the project, because of their feelings about Morrissey. (You'll later interpret their contributions as offerings to the greatness of yourself and this, your particular use of vBulletin.) When they realize the lay of the land and speak up about the problems they'll inevitably encounter, you'll allow your pet trolls of the moment to harass them at length, no holds barred. The contributors will recall that the site's TOS forbade harassment, perhaps complain--then be punished for complaining. Astonished and saddened, they'll depart. New users, as unaware of the pattern as the old ones were, will replace them, then wise up, then criticize, then be attacked, then be replaced... And on and on it goes.

But you and your small gang of unhinged celebrity stalkers will still sit atop Morrissey fandom, and atop every list of Google results for a search on "Morrissey."

You aren't worthy of controlling the internet's primary database of information about Morrissey. "Fans" who've discussed how happy they'll be when Morrissey dies, as !Viva Hate! has, aren't worthy of influencing its infrastructure.

No one should contribute to it. Hopefully the rebuilt Passions Just Like Mine, operated by decent, sane people, will also include a wiki. And a forum.

You're actually referring to forum threads. Incredible...

...which indisputably disproved your claim that the suggestion was made by this site's most disgusting stalker in 2012.

Actually I'm referring to the news archive: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/9-Article-Archive. There are news items that go back to 1997.

Pretty bold for you to talk about stalking, Morrithey / Jonathan Cox from Louisville / Lesbian Liberation / Sydney Sneed.

Are the album art scans provided by Flax?

Solo already archived every news article, interview link, publicity photo, concert date, set list, etc. that has been published on the site since 1997...the wiki is simply attempting to add more content and make searching for information less convoluted.

Such a lovely idea... This will make our beloved "so-low" even more of a go-to for all things Moz. I wonder if Stephane is assisting... passionsjustlikemine RIP...

Not as of pre-launch. Of course, anyone can participate now.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, clearly his hometown should be Manchester. I doubt that Morrissey has any affinity with Davyhulme, in fact very few people have, even those who live there would probably describe themselves as being from Urmston.

Whilst were on that page, why isn't Rough Trade listed as one of his labels? And why is he listed as being 'active' from 1977? What was he doing in 1977 that he wasn't doing in 1976?

Dave

ps - great work so far to all involved in setting up the site!

That is purely my fault. The majority of the work I did was creating templates, duplicating them for various pages, and adding a bit of information as temporary placeholders until the wiki launched and other users could have fun contributing. My goal was to create the majority of articles without having to add the majority of content to them. Other than 'Viva Hate' and 'Suedehead' and a few other less prominent pages, I never completed any article to 100%. Davyhulme should have been listed as birthplace rather than hometown.

Dave

Pretty much anything you want could be added as long as it is factual and relevant.

Article Talk pages are where such things are discussed.

ItsMorrisseysWorld is listed as his official site because it was his last label run site...True-To-You still lists itself as "A Morrissey Zine" so I didn't think it should be listed as official regardless of whether he releases information through it or not. After all, he used to do the same here and this was never his official site.

Thank you guys for this! One question though, what's with the duck on the main page?

There are about 18 different logos. A new one should show up every time you log in to the wiki. It's just a little bit of fun.

You're actually referring to forum threads. Incredible. This was always a particular moderator's ridiculous pretense: that a list of conversations is a library. An obvious point that has been made in the past: if there is no index to the information, then that claim is ridiculous.

A wiki is an information archive. A wiki should have been a feature of this site for many years now. It is a feature of many fansites. The linked post should perhaps have used the term "wiki," as you evidently require webspeak in your reading, of you have absolutely no idea what you've read--even it's a two-sentence post suggesting an encyclopedia.

No, that obviously does not at all follow from my "argument"--which was simply to link to a post in which an online Morrissey encyclopedia had previously been suggested, which indisputably disproved your claim that the suggestion was made by this site's most disgusting stalker in 2012.

The suggestion certainly had no influence--when it was made by a critic of yourself. When it was later made by a troll--an admitted stalker and harasser and spreader of misinformation, who had been bathing you in flattery--you acted. And thus Morrissey-Solo's longtime pattern of pathology continues.

The Solo wiki was something that had been gestating for a few years now...however, it wasn't until this year that David had the time, manpower, and software to implement it.

Show me exactly where I've admitted to being a "stalker, harasser and spreader of misinformation." I posted a couple joke tracks and album covers in the past. Then again, I also leaked the Hollywood Bowl DVD audio (first) and video (later). I may have said some not-so-nice things to certain users. Then again, I have also consistently posted relevant news stories, bootlegs, concert reviews, and setlists since 2006. I also devoted months to working on this wiki along with DavidT, Kewpie, Skylarker, and MozRecordings.

Unlike you, in spite of what I have done and still do, I still actually contribute to the site when I can. Maybe you could learn something from that?

And your favorite person is responsible for that, you know.

Lol. Remember back in one of your smack downs when you said I was just jealous that Viva had more information than I did? I wondered what the hell that meant. :lbf:

This is great - a nice way to keep the site fertile and evolving. Thanks to the main contributors for getting the ball rolling.

So if we have a list of additions/changes, should we PM them to the relevant contact (I.e., if re: bootlegs, PM Skylarker) or send them to David?

So if we have a list of additions/changes, should we PM them to the relevant contact (I.e., if re: bootlegs, PM Skylarker) or send them to David?

Go ahead and make the addition / change directly or if any clarifications are needed you can use the 'discussion' tab on the relevant page and the mods / other editors can review / do the same.

This is great - a nice way to keep the site fertile and evolving. Thanks to the main contributors for getting the ball rolling.

I think this was possibly already addressed, but it's a valid question anyway. The main goal with the Wiki is to encourage it to be open and usable by all members. If it is a formatting issue that you're not sure you know how to do; there's a tutorial in the Wiki and I'm sure that either Viva, David, or Moz Recording would be happy to give pointers as well. (Unfortunately the formatting aspect is not my strong suit. :p)

I think this was possibly already addressed, but it's a valid question anyway. The main goal with the Wiki is to encourage it to be open and usable by all members. If it is a formatting issue that you're not sure you know how to do; there's a tutorial in the Wiki and I'm sure that either Viva, David, or Moz Recording would be happy to give pointers as well. (Unfortunately the formatting aspect is not my strong suit. :p)

Thanks for the responses, Skylarker and David. Sorry, I originally overlooked the earlier response. I'll have a go and give someone a shout should I get flummoxed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom